FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Firefox 63, cookies, and Cookie
#50474 11/15/18 01:05 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

There have been some changes in the Prefs in recent versions of Firefox, enough to confuse me. Would you anyone like to explain their preferences for Security and Privacy Preferences in the Preferences?

Does the program Cookie change these in any way or can the two programs co-exist in peace like peanut butter and chocolate?

I recall that not too long ago I had Firefox set to don't accept third party cookies, but the settings are more complicated now and I'm somewhat baffled by the whole arrangement. What worked is now broken and what was simple is now complicated. Another victory for Silicon Valley.

Also, posting to FineTunedMac continues to be slow, unpredictable process. I never know what's going to happen when I click Submit.

Last edited by deniro; 11/15/18 01:06 PM.
Re: Firefox 63, cookies, and Cookie
deniro #50476 11/15/18 05:13 PM

Agreed! On all counts.

I don't use Firefox very much, and I've got it set to forget everything when I"m done, which makes dealing with its prefs considerably easier, so I can't help with them, but I can say that Cookie lives happily with Safari, i.e. it are retains or deletes cookies according to what I tell it to do, rather than according to what Safari would do on its own, so I can't imagine it doing otherwise in Firefox other than because of a bug. (Russel's quick to respond and easy to deal with, so don't be shy about even just asking questions.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50477 11/15/18 05:31 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

deniro #50478 11/15/18 05:36 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Nevertheless, I thought Firefox 63 would have generated more chatter about cookies by now. I'll keep looking.

For now I'm using the recommended settings. As you might guess, over the years I have set Firefox to delete more and more info when quitting, but I dislike having to enter IDs and passwords (even with an automated program) every time I enter a site. That's one reason I bought Cookie in the first place. To get more control of the privacy and security settings. But now I'm scratching my head over both Firefox 63 and Cookie and trying to find a more efficient workflow.

deniro #50480 11/15/18 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
For now I'm using the recommended settings. As you might guess, over the years I have set Firefox to delete more and more info when quitting, but I dislike having to enter IDs and passwords (even with an automated program) every time I enter a site. That's one reason I bought Cookie in the first place. To get more control of the privacy and security settings. But now I'm scratching my head over both Firefox 63 and Cookie and trying to find a more efficient workflow.

Trying running without Cookie, using only Firefox's parameters. Make sure that you're using Firefox 63.0.1.

I've got zero problems doing the above. I allow third party cookies. Once daily I check to see what cookies are saved and delete those that could have a tracking component.

grelber #50481 11/15/18 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Trying running without Cookie, using only Firefox's parameters. Make sure that you're using Firefox 63.0.1.

I've got zero problems doing the above. I allow third party cookies. Once daily I check to see what cookies are saved and delete those that could have a tracking component.

Then why not augment your procedure with Cookie and not leave anything up to chance?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50485 11/16/18 08:05 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Then why not augment your procedure with Cookie and not leave anything up to chance?

If that's directed at me, I'm more than satisfied with Firefox's treatment of cookies.

If directed at deniro, I was just suggesting a comparison.

grelber #50486 11/16/18 08:36 AM

It was directed at you.

Once daily I check to see what cookies are saved and delete those that could have a tracking component. (Emphasis added)

...I'm more than satisfied with Firefox's treatment of cookies.

If you're "more than satisfied with Firefox's treatment of cookies" you shouldn't feel any need to augment it, nor have you got any basis to say that your judgement is accurate. (Not to say that Cookie's judgement is 100% spot on, but it's certainly better founded in fact than yours is.)\

artie505 #50487 11/16/18 08:54 AM

It was directed at you.

Not sure why. It was deniro who was having the problem. I was just suggesting that he test out an alternative.

If you're "more than satisfied with Firefox's treatment of cookies" you shouldn't feel any need to augment it, nor have you got any basis to say that your judgement is accurate. (Not to say that Cookie's judgement is 100% spot on, but it's certainly better founded in fact than yours is.)

I have no need to augment it. See above comment.
(I know nothing about the Cookie app. I never heard of it before this thread got started. I don't use it and don't understand where you got the idea that I do.)

grelber #50500 11/17/18 08:07 AM

It was directed at you.

Not sure why. It was deniro who was having the problem. I was just suggesting that he test out an alternative.

It was directed at you because your support of your alternative was contradictory and, therefore, weak, i.e.

...I'm more than satisfied with Firefox's treatment of cookies.

Once daily I check to see what cookies are saved and delete those that could have a tracking component. (Emphasis added)

If you're "more than satisfied with Firefox's treatment of cookies" you shouldn't feel any need to augment it, nor have you got any basis to say that your judgement is accurate. (Not to say that Cookie's judgement is 100% spot on, but it's certainly better founded in fact than yours is.)

I have no need to augment it. See above comment.

You're "Once daily...." procedure is not only an augmentation of Firefox's treatment of cookies, it's one that's haphazard and founded in guesswork, so I suggested Cookie as a "fix".

(I know nothing about the Cookie app. I never heard of it before this thread got started. I don't use it and don't understand where you got the idea that I do.)

I don't think you're running Cookie, but I"m surprised to hear you say that you've never heard of it other than in this thread; it's been mentioned by ryck, deniro, and myself in any number of other threads, and judging from your level of FTM participation I'd be surprised if you've never participated in any of them (but that's neither here nor there).

artie505 #50501 11/17/18 09:25 AM

I've had the biscuit with this, artie.

I recognize and appreciate your assistance with issues that have involved my own concerns, especially when I was trying to wrap my head around coming to terms with Mac OS X starting back in 2011.

However, those instances pale in comparison to the number of times you have attacked me and my comments over the course of the years when I have attempted to make productive suggestions to others.

This thread is just the latest example. I made a simple — which you seem to have construed as simple-minded — suggestion (to the tune of 8 words) that I thought might assist deniro. You then proceeded to take me to extreme task for same. Almost every one of your objections to my comments is based on misunderstanding (faulty interpretation) of same which you then use to berate me and denigrate my comments.

All of that serves no useful purpose. And I have time and again fallen into that trap by engaging in a give and take. Basta! No more. It is a waste of my time and energy to deal with such. And I find much of it hurtful and distressing — and I don't need or desire that either.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

While it may from time to time be the equivalent of throwing the baby out with the bath water, I will no longer respond to any comments you might make in these forums. [And the same goes for anyone who uses ad hominem attacks, thinly veiled or otherwise.]
But once again I thank you for the times you've provided me with considerate support and useful information.

grelber #50505 11/18/18 11:40 AM

As one who reads, digests, and is quick to post when you see something "out of sorts", I'm surprised by your reaction to my having done the same.

And as arguably the most fiercely possessive of data and protective of privacy of all FTM posters I'm even more surprised by your reaction to my observation that your privacy maintenance procedure is flawed.

You indicated that you altogether missed my point, so I'd have been remiss in not restating it.

My apologies for having tried to be responsive and responsible.

artie505 #50507 11/18/18 01:12 PM

GENTLEMEN ENOUGH! Name calling, blaming, or ascribing motives to other FTMers posts is not permitted and, as you well know, can earn temporary or even permanent suspension. Stick to troubleshooting please.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #50508 11/18/18 03:36 PM

Artie, on many of the “other OS” forum sites, (I can’t even bring myself to use the “W” word...) such exchanges between posters are called “flaming” and seem to be encouraged. We DO NOT ALLOW OR ENCOURAGE FLAMING here at the Fine Tuned Mac forums.

Consider yourself Yellow Carded and stop trying to justify your specific process as the only way to properly address the cookie issue. It’s not....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #50509 11/18/18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
GENTLEMEN ENOUGH! Name calling, blaming, or ascribing motives to other FTMers posts is not permitted and, as you well know, can earn temporary or even permanent suspension. Stick to troubleshooting please.

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Artie, on many of the “other OS” forum sites, (I can’t even bring myself to use the “W” word...) such exchanges between posters are called “flaming” and seem to be encouraged. We DO NOT ALLOW OR ENCOURAGE FLAMING here at the Fine Tuned Mac forums.
Consider yourself Yellow Carded and stop trying to justify your specific process as the only way to properly address the cookie issue. It’s not....

To the moderators and to the father of it all, tacit:
I apologize if my comments (post #50501 and/or elsewhere) somehow broke FTM protocol; they were in no way intended to be "flames", only to point up how some exchanges into which I have been pulled started with good intentions and wound up being denigrating or hurtful to me and that I was no longer going to allow myself to be subjected to such.
If protecting my psychological well-being is not legitimate within the framework of these forums, then I must regretfully withdraw my participation in them.
All best wishes.

grelber #50510 11/18/18 09:15 PM

If protecting my psychological well-being is not legitimate within the framework of these forums, then I must regretfully withdraw my participation in them.
All best wishes.

It takes at two to have an argument which can too easily lead to acrimony and while protecting your psychological well being is legitimate within the framework of these forums — that is the job of the moderators. If you feel you have been attacked click the Notify button and let us deal with the issue.

In the meantime it is important that everyone claim their opinions, practices, experience, etc as their own and eschew judging other's.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50511 11/18/18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
It takes at two to have an argument which can too easily lead to acrimony and while protecting your psychological well being is legitimate within the framework of these forums — that is the job of the moderators. If you feel you have been attacked click the Notify button and let us deal with the issue. [highlight added]

Thank you for the clarification. I was unaware that such was within the purview/mandate of the moderators.
I was not under the impression that I was being argumentative in post #50501, merely trying to make it clear that I would no longer be drawn into such disputations.
Should I decide that I can productively add (value) to these forums — but (more than) once bitten, (more than) twice shy — I'll keep that in mind.

grelber #50563 11/28/18 03:40 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I quit using Cookie for a while, maybe a week, and uninstalled it. Then when I returned to using it, there was an update and it seems to be working correctly. I still manage to delete cookies that I want to keep, but at least now there's a manual and some help. It's better than it was. I probably don't have it set up to do what I want, and it can get pretty involved if you so choose.

Oh, for the 1990s when manuals existed, in nice printed, bound books, and I read it anywhere and underlined...

They got rid of the manuals, then they got rid of built-in help. Now they want you to register at their web site's "community help forum". Why do we have to help each other? Why can't the makers of programs make it clear how to use the programs? Why leave it up to David Pogue all the time?

Last edited by deniro; 11/28/18 03:41 PM.
Re: Firefox 63, cookies and Cookie
deniro #50564 11/28/18 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
They got rid of the manuals, then they got rid of built-in help. Now they want you to register at their website's "community help forum". Why do we have to help each other? Why can't the makers of programs make it clear how to use the programs? Why leave it up to David Pogue all the time?

It could be that Pogue provides a generous kickback for the opportunity to produce the manuals. So "they" get something for nothing. And wouldn't we all do so, given the opportunity? Dilbert reigns supreme!

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard