FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Safari slower than Firefox on certain website
#49092 06/15/18 09:03 PM
OP Offline

I have been using a website for a few months now without problems. Just recently I can barely load it up when using Safari but have no problems with Firefox which I'd rather not use.

I am wondering why this would be. I'm not using the latest version of Safari but so what? It worked before.

Any ideas? Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Safari slower than Firefox on certain website
plantsower #49093 06/15/18 10:26 PM

If it's only that single site, then its provider has obviously made changes which are inimical to Safari (but not Firefox — which has introduced many features with its Quantum version which dramatically affect loading speed inter alia).
Often a site will make changes which are not supported by one browser or another and they're unwilling to continue supporting such browsers.
You'd best contact the site's support team to find out what's going on.

plantsower #49094 06/15/18 10:28 PM

Just because it worked before doesn't mean they have not changed something on the site that is slowing things down, maybe even a third party advertising banner or a change in the HTML coding. SInce this is unique to an individual website if you could give us the URL we could see if the problem is specific to the site or unique to your configuration.

If it is unique to your configuration, there are any number of possible reasons this could be happening, but one of the most obvious suspects would be some extension you are running in Safari — most likely an ad blocker. There are lots of options for testing that out but the easiest is only available in more recent versions of Safari. But in any version of Safari in the last few years you can go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions and individually turn off any and all extensions you have installed.

Additionally be sure you don't have any ad blocking apps running outside of Safari.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
grelber #49095 06/16/18 03:59 AM
OP Offline

I will do that. Thanks. Though whenever I have a problem like a certain page never loading up, they say they have changed nothing and I am the only one complaining about it! confused

Originally Posted By: grelber
If it's only that single site, then its provider has obviously made changes which are inimical to Safari (but not Firefox — which has introduced many features with its Quantum version which dramatically affect loading speed inter alia).
Often a site will make changes which are not supported by one browser or another and they're unwilling to continue supporting such browsers.
You'd best contact the site's support team to find out what's going on.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #49096 06/16/18 04:05 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Just because it worked before doesn't mean they have not changed something on the site that is slowing things down, maybe even a third party advertising banner or a change in the HTML coding. SInce this is unique to an individual website if you could give us the URL we could see if the problem is specific to the site or unique to your configuration. [bTellwut.com[/b]

If it is unique to your configuration, there are any number of possible reasons this could be happening, but one of the most obvious suspects would be some extension you are running in Safari — most likely an ad blocker. There are lots of options for testing that out but the easiest is only available in more recent versions of Safari. But in any version of Safari in the last few years you can go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions and individually turn off any and all extensions you have installed. Thanks. I actually tried that before but it made no difference.

Additionally be sure you don't have any ad blocking apps running outside of Safari.
[b]What does that mean? I use an ad blocker but I don't know what you mean by "outside of Safari."[/b]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49097 06/16/18 07:48 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower

What does that mean? I use an ad blocker but I don't know what you mean by "outside of Safari."[/b]

Lots of "twitches" of the finger = mistakes in using UBB bold, with square brackets and slashes, on both your and joemikeb's parts; your contributions need to be proofread and corrected as necessary. tongue

EDIT: Actually, there seems to be something wrong with FTM's bold button or manually trying to do same. Right now I'm entering [, then b, then ] followed by the word bold followed by ], then /b, then ] — [b]bold. What you see is what happens.
The close on color should have occurred after the last sentence above but it didn't. So the problem is much more widespread.
Moderators take note.
I tried to italicize that last sentence, and that worked. Curiouser and curiouser.

That said, I too don't know what it means to have an ad blocker outside of a browser; an ad blocker only functions within such. Please clarify.

grelber #49098 06/16/18 08:33 AM

What does that mean? I use an ad blocker but I don't know what you mean by "outside of Safari."

Lots of "twitches" of the finger = mistakes in using UBB bold, with square brackets and slashes, on both your and joemikeb's parts; your contributions need to be proofread and corrected as necessary. tongue

EDIT: Actually, there seems to be something wrong with FTM's bold button or manually trying to do same. bold. What you see is what happens.
The close on color should have occurred after the last sentence above but it didn't. So the problem is much more widespread.
Moderators take note.
I tried to italicize that last sentence, and that worked. Curiouser and curiouser.

There's no problem with anything other than your and Rita's formatting.

Deleting your "Right now I'm entering [, then b, then ] followed by the word bold followed by ], then /b, then ] — " while simultaneously correcting Rita's "b" tag error results in correct presentation as shown above.

You've hit on an insanely frustrating aspect of UBB.threads's software, namely that one misplaced or extra [ affects every succeeding tag in a post. I've wasted more hair than I care to think about trying to figure out what was wrong with my formatting in similar instances.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #49099 06/16/18 08:36 AM

That said, I too don't know what it means to have an ad blocker outside of a browser; an ad blocker only functions within such. Please clarify.

I assume that joemike is asking about ad blockers that are apps, NOT extensions.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49100 06/16/18 08:55 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
... You've hit on an insanely frustrating aspect of UBB.threads's software, namely that one misplaced or extra [ affects every succeeding tag in a post. I've wasted more hair than I care to think about trying to figure out what was wrong with my formatting in similar instances.

Merci. You're right. The UBB software should NOT react that way. I've never seen it happen like this before.

artie505 #49101 06/16/18 08:57 AM

I assume that joemike is asking about ad blockers that are apps, NOT extensions.

I must be missing something obvious, but I've never heard of or seen an ad show up outside of a browser. How would that even work?!

plantsower #49102 06/16/18 09:47 AM

Have you tried emptying Safari caches? You can do that via the Develop menu.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #49103 06/16/18 01:44 PM

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC

To answer Rita's question, there are ad blockers that are apps, not Safari extensions. Generally they are a low level form of VPN (Virtual Private Network) that work outside of the browser to block or re-direct known advertising IP addresses and are often more effective than ad-blocking extensions.

SITE TEST RESULTS

Using Safari 11.1.2 I went to Rita's troublesome web site telwut.com and responded to a few of the "surveys". The site initially loaded very rapidly and when I selected a "survey" to respond to, it too loaded very rapidly. When I responded to a survey the response was uneven. Some surveys responded and displayed the survey results very quickly but others took several seconds to respond. In a second trail maybe ten minutes later everything was uniformly fast and responsive.

The uneven results leads me to suspect Telwut may be having server hardware or database software issues or is sensitive to site load (the number of simultaneous users) but there is no indication that Safari 11.1.2 or anything else on my end was causing a problem.

CONCLUSION

If Rita continues to experience significant slowdown on the site using her current version of Safari then:
  • There could be an issue with a Safari cache file.
  • There may have been a change in the site coding that her version of Safari does not handle well. (Updating to a more recent Safari would easily prove or disprove that.)
  • There is something else we are missing (Searching the console logs for Safari might turn up an indication there.)
which pretty well brings us back to where we started. 🤷‍♂️

— Albert Einstein
grelber #49104 06/16/18 05:12 PM
OP Offline

Gelber: Thanks for acknowledging that it is an internal error. I did proofread but couldn't figure out how to fix what I saw. I figured you would be able to understand what I was saying aside from that.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #49105 06/16/18 05:16 PM
OP Offline

I didn't know there were ad block apps. I do use an extension (Ad Block Plus)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #49106 06/16/18 05:18 PM
OP Offline

Yes, thanks. I do that regularly.

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Have you tried emptying Safari caches? You can do that via the Develop menu.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #49107 06/16/18 05:30 PM
OP Offline

Hi JoeMikeb:

Thanks for taking the time to do that. If you need a copy of Safari console logs, you will need to tell me how to find those. I do empty my cache files regularly, especially when I am having problems like this.

This site sends us surveys from other survey sites as you know. One of them has the word "Vanguard" in it. I just don't know what site it is off hand. Anyway, whenever I am sent one of those surveys, I cannot load it up no matter which browser I use. I contacted them and they said I was the only one with the problem. just an FYI. If that happens again, I wonder if sending you the url would help you maybe diagnose that particular problem, also?

Thanks so much for your time.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC

To answer Rita's question, there are ad blockers that are apps, not Safari extensions. Generally they are a low level form of VPN (Virtual Private Network) that work outside of the browser to block or re-direct known advertising IP addresses and are often more effective than ad-blocking extensions.

SITE TEST RESULTS

Using Safari 11.1.2 I went to Rita's troublesome web site telwut.com and responded to a few of the "surveys". The site initially loaded very rapidly and when I selected a "survey" to respond to, it too loaded very rapidly. When I responded to a survey the response was uneven. Some surveys responded and displayed the survey results very quickly but others took several seconds to respond. In a second trail maybe ten minutes later everything was uniformly fast and responsive.

The uneven results leads me to suspect Telwut may be having server hardware or database software issues or is sensitive to site load (the number of simultaneous users) but there is no indication that Safari 11.1.2 or anything else on my end was causing a problem.

CONCLUSION

If Rita continues to experience significant slowdown on the site using her current version of Safari then:
  • There could be an issue with a Safari cache file.
  • There may have been a change in the site coding that her version of Safari does not handle well. (Updating to a more recent Safari would easily prove or disprove that.)
  • There is something else we are missing (Searching the console logs for Safari might turn up an indication there.)
which pretty well brings us back to where we started. 🤷‍♂️

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49108 06/16/18 05:54 PM

This site sends us surveys from other survey sites as you know. One of them has the word "Vanguard" in it. I just don't know what site it is off hand. Anyway, whenever I am sent one of those surveys, I cannot load it up no matter which browser I use. I contacted them and they said I was the only one with the problem. just an FYI. If that happens again, I wonder if sending you the url would help you maybe diagnose that particular problem, also?

If it happens again send the URL and I will see what I can do.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49109 06/16/18 08:38 PM
OP Offline

Okay, cool! Thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49110 06/16/18 11:25 PM

Gelber: Thanks for acknowledging that it is an internal error. I did proofread but couldn't figure out how to fix what I saw. I figured you would be able to understand what I was saying aside from that.

Hi, Rita,

A tag mistake is affected by preceding and following tags. (For example, see how the text of grelber's quote of your post #49096 differs from the original in his post #49097 here)

Code:
[b][color:#FF0000]What does that mean?   I use an ad blocker but I don't know what you mean by "outside of Safari."[[/color]/b] 

The problem with your post is that you've got [/color] stuck in the middle of [/b] (extreme right in Code: [[/color]/b]), and that leading [ is confounding things.

Change it to [/color][/b], and it's straightened out: What does that mean? I use an ad blocker but I don't know what you mean by "outside of Safari."

REALLY confusing stuff that I couldn't begin to explain until I realized that using the "Code" tags enabled me to reproduce bad tags without affecting others.

Last edited by artie505; 06/16/18 11:40 PM. Reason: Add link/More

artie505 #49111 06/17/18 12:47 AM
OP Offline

I thought I understood but it came out weird anyway.

Hi, Rita,

A tag mistake is affected by preceding and following tags. (For example, see how the text of grelber's quote of your post #49096 differs from the original in his post #49097 here)

Code:
[b][color:#FF0000]What does that mean?   I use an ad blocker but I don't know what you mean by "outside of Safari."[[/color]/b] 

The problem with your post is that you've got [/color] stuck in the middle of [/b] (extreme right in Code: [[/color]/b]), and that leading [ is confounding things.

Change it to [/color][/b], and it's straightened out: What does that mean? I use an ad blocker but I don't know what you mean by "outside of Safari."

REALLY confusing stuff that I couldn't begin to explain until I realized that using the "Code" tags enabled me to reproduce bad tags without affecting others.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49112 06/17/18 01:33 AM

You were close.

Your problem was that this - [[/color]/b] - should have been this - [/color][/b].

Thinking back, you've made the exact same "nested tags" mistake any number of other times.

Any time you see [[ or ]] you're going to see something weird.

artie505 #49113 06/17/18 02:54 AM
OP Offline

Like this?

You were close.

Your problem was that this - [[/color]/b] - should have been this - [/color][/b].

Thinking back, you've made the exact same "nested tags" mistake any number of other times.

Any time you see [[ or ]] you're going to see something weird.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49114 06/17/18 03:04 AM

By George, she's got it! laugh

artie505 #49115 06/17/18 02:23 PM
OP Offline

tongue

[quote=artie505]By George, she's got it!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #49121 06/20/18 02:49 AM
OP Offline

Here you go! [url=Tellwut Vanguard Link]http://redirects.vanguard-research.com/g...jk2jj27-1839254[/url]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard