for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Network Question
#45535 07/03/17 03:56 AM
OP Offline

When I go into Network Settings - Wi-fi - Advanced, I can't get into Wifi, TCP/IP, DNS or WINS, but I can access 801.1x, Proxies and hardware.

Could it be because I am using the external drive only? I've always been able to get in before to change DNS numbers at least.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Network Question
plantsower #45537 07/03/17 08:58 AM

This is off the wall, but so is your issue.

Have you tried turning your firewall off? (I'd restart afterwards.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #45538 07/03/17 01:23 PM

It is no breaking news that something very odd is going on with your computer. The drive you are booting from should be immaterial — unless somehow that installation has been damaged in some way.

Like Artie, I have an off the wall suggestion you might try. Take advantage of your computer's portability and take it to a Starbucks or some other location with free WiFi and see if the problem replicates itself there. That will effectively eliminate or incriminate your local WiFi as a causal element.

I know that you do not have an Apple store or a certified Apple Service provider handy, but if I were in your shoes, handy or not, that is where I would go. Communication over the phone is inevitably more difficult because you and the technician may have very different meanings or understandings of the same word(s). I know because I trained Microsoft Tech Support Engineers for two years and that communications disconnect is always there.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #45542 07/03/17 03:17 PM
OP Offline

I don't know what you mean by off the wall. The reason I went into Network Settings is because I read that maybe if DHCP was turned on, I could get to the internet during recovery phase. I was looking into that. But, alas, it was already on. I tried it again today (going into network setting, wi-fi, advanced) and was able to get into every section until I clicked on "hardware." When I went back to check the other settings, they were grayed out. I just don't get it. But, whatever....

Originally Posted By: plantsower
When I go into Network Settings - Wi-fi - Advanced, I can't get into Wifi, TCP/IP, DNS or WINS, but I can access 801.1x, Proxies and hardware.

Could it be because I am using the external drive only? I've always been able to get in before to change DNS numbers at least.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #45544 07/03/17 03:21 PM
OP Offline

It is off in my old MBP.

Originally Posted By: artie505
This is off the wall, but so is your issue.

Have you tried turning your firewall off? (I'd restart afterwards.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #45545 07/03/17 03:25 PM
OP Offline

I was talking about my old MBP regarding network settings. I was just looking around to see what I could see for the future of my new MBP. But I was thinking maybe I could take my new one to another wi-fi spot and try to get into recovery as you suggested also. We'll see if I can get a chance to do that this week. If so, then I will check the DHCP and see if it is on. The article I read said to turn it on if it is off to be able to get into the internet in recovery I guess for the future. I can't very well do that with the problem I have now in the new MBP.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
It is no breaking news that something very odd is going on with your computer. The drive you are booting from should be immaterial — unless somehow that installation has been damaged in some way.

Like Artie, I have an off the wall suggestion you might try. Take advantage of your computer's portability and take it to a Starbucks or some other location with free WiFi and see if the problem replicates itself there. That will effectively eliminate or incriminate your local WiFi as a causal element.

I know that you do not have an Apple store or a certified Apple Service provider handy, but if I were in your shoes, handy or not, that is where I would go. Communication over the phone is inevitably more difficult because you and the technician may have very different meanings or understandings of the same word(s). I know because I trained Microsoft Tech Support Engineers for two years and that communications disconnect is always there.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45553 07/03/17 07:43 PM
OP Offline

Well crap. I am at the library and I was able to get to the network they use but not put in the password. I just get the spinning circle by the empty box. I am apprehensive now about ever getting in, even with the ethernet adapter. This library has several computers for members or we can use our own computers. I am the only one on the network but still no dice.

I was talking about my old MBP regarding network settings. I was just looking around to see what I could see for the future of my new MBP. But I was thinking maybe I could take my new one to another wi-fi spot and try to get into recovery as you suggested also. We'll see if I can get a chance to do that this week. If so, then I will check the DHCP and see if it is on. The article I read said to turn it on if it is off to be able to get into the internet in recovery I guess for the future. I can't very well do that with the problem I have now in the new MBP.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45554 07/03/17 07:58 PM

I am out of ideas. The only thing I can suggest is getting to a Genius Desk in person.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45556 07/03/17 08:16 PM
OP Offline

Yeah, I will try the ethernet adapter then go from there. I'm just really miffed that they had me erase my hd right off the bat. I had misgivings and should have gone with those. Next time though!!!

I am out of ideas. The only thing I can suggest is getting to a Genius Desk in person.

Last edited by plantsower; 07/04/17 03:21 AM. Reason: misspelling

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45558 07/03/17 09:23 PM

Yeah, I will try the ethernet adapter then go from there. I'm just really miffed that they had me erase my hd right off the bad. I had misgivings and should have gone with those. Next time though!!!

God's honest truth, I might have recommended the same thing had I been in the Apple Tech's position. Your issues with the network may or may not be unprecedented but certainly they are rare enough they would never have crossed my mind. In fact my automatic assumption would be a trouble free connection to a high speed WiFi network. Which, of course, proves the validity of the old saw about what happens when one AssUMEs.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45559 07/03/17 09:57 PM

Yeah, I will try the ethernet adapter then go from there. I'm just really miffed that they had me erase my hd right off the bad. I had misgivings and should have gone with those. Next time though!!!

God's honest truth, I might have recommended the same thing had I been in the Apple Tech's position. Your issues with the network may or may not be unprecedented but certainly they are rare enough they would never have crossed my mind.

That flies in general, but in this instance, I think not; Rita's call to AppleCare that resulted in the erasure was about Mail.app issues.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #45560 07/04/17 12:59 AM
OP Offline

Right. The network at the library is very fast so that just didn't work.I'll report on my experience with the ethernet adapter after it gets here in a few days.

God's honest truth, I might have recommended the same thing had I been in the Apple Tech's position. Your issues with the network may or may not be unprecedented but certainly they are rare enough they would never have crossed my mind. In fact my automatic assumption would be a trouble free connection to a high speed WiFi network. Which, of course, proves the validity of the old saw about what happens when one AssUMEs.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #45561 07/04/17 01:33 AM

That flies in general, but in this instance, I think not; Rita's call to AppleCare that resulted in the erasure was about Mail.app issues.

I understand why you might say that. However having handled a few hundred online tech support calls as part of a job training Tech Support "Engineers" for Microsoft I can easily understand how that might happen.

Interestingly enough tech support newbies and old timers are less likely to make such a mistake. The former because their lack of experience tends to make them more cautious and to follow rigorous ste-by-step trouble shooting (and they are less reluctant to ask for help) the latter because they have made enough mistakes of their own and know better. It is the kind of mistake that is often made when the support person has just enough experience to become over confident and blasé.

I have known of tech support organizations that intentionally use temps who know little or nothing about computers so they are forced to follow detailed written troubleshooting scripts and once a technician gains enough knowledge to start troubleshooting problems on their own and depart from the script their contract is terminated. Which is fine if your particular problem happens to be covered by one of the scripts and the correct script is chosen. It works in probably 80% of the cases but if your problem the remaining 20% — good luck.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #45562 07/04/17 06:25 AM

God's honest truth, I might have recommended the same thing had I been in the Apple Tech's position. Your issues with the network may or may not be unprecedented but certainly they are rare enough they would never have crossed my mind.

I understand why you might say that. However having handled a few hundred online tech support calls as part of a job training Tech Support "Engineers" for Microsoft I can easily understand how that might happen.

Interestingly enough tech support newbies and old timers are less likely to make such a mistake. The former because their lack of experience tends to make them more cautious and to follow rigorous ste-by-step trouble shooting (and they are less reluctant to ask for help) the latter because they have made enough mistakes of their own and know better. It is the kind of mistake that is often made when the support person has just enough experience to become over confident and blasé.

I have known of tech support organizations that intentionally use temps who know little or nothing about computers so they are forced to follow detailed written troubleshooting scripts and once a technician gains enough knowledge to start troubleshooting problems on their own and depart from the script their contract is terminated. Which is fine if your particular problem happens to be covered by one of the scripts and the correct script is chosen. It works in probably 80% of the cases but if your problem the remaining 20% — good luck.

Thanks for explaining the general nature of the beast from your experienced perspective.

My point, though, was simply that the tech's nuke & pave suggestion wasn't directed at an off the wall networking issue as you had assumed (see "God's honest truth...." above), and I've come to expect better than that from AppleCare.

artie505 #45644 07/10/17 05:25 PM

maybe delete and re-add the wifi adapter to the list?

make sure the padlock is unlocked.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #45647 07/10/17 05:41 PM
OP Offline

You didn't quote me so I'm not sure what you are referring to. Maybe the fact that the padlock showed up on my attempt at recovery?

I also don't know what that means below:
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
maybe delete and re-add the wifi adapter to the list?

make sure the padlock is unlocked.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard