An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone notice the new impossible Captcha?
#44436 04/27/17 11:34 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

This new Captcha which is monopolizing the market now, with the street signs, mountains, and rivers.

I was just on a site and after 40 passes has to give up. My hand was too tired.

I then did the contact webmaster to ask if he could sign me up manually, but the captcha was there too, and I could not beat it again. What is this..??

Re: Anyone notice the new impossible Captcha?
kevs #44437 04/28/17 02:46 AM

Give a link so we can see the same issue..... confused

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #44438 04/28/17 05:56 AM

Here's a link to Problem with Captchas, in which kevs has already raised the same issue.

I run into these new Captchas more frequently than I like, but I can't think of where I've seen one recently to post a link. Sorry.

Count yourself lucky that you've never run into one.

What's easy to miss, which makes the exercise difficult, is that the pane is dynamic, i.e. as you click on correct pics they're replaced by new ones, and you're not finished until there are no applicable pics left on which to click.

I dunno; it seems like overkill, but maybe bots have gotten that smart.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Silas #44456 04/29/17 06:01 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Silas, good so someone else see and has suffered too. What is this company, how have they come to dominate the Captcha market?

I have a Mailchimp newsletter and Chimp forces the Captcha for sign ins and I wonder how many people bail.

Last edited by cyn; 09/07/17 09:43 AM. Reason: Note - Silas turned out to be spammer so his post was removed.
artie505 #44457 04/29/17 03:16 PM

I'm not looking at a Captcha example at the moment, but my recollection is there is an icon for a sound option (for the visually impaired). Give that a try and see if it is easier. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #44459 04/29/17 03:48 PM

Since I realized that the panes are dynamic I've had no problems with them other than the amount of time it takes to get past them, and I think that's the key for everybody: the confounding trap is clicking through a pane once and thinking that you're ready to move on when, in fact, you've still got more or less of a fresh, unclicked pane in front of you.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #44460 04/29/17 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
This new Captcha which is monopolizing the market now, with the street signs, mountains, and rivers.

I got hit yesterday with "Apartment Buildings" among pictures of stores and office buildings. I couldn't figure out how to differentiate between an office and a high rise apartment building. After several trials I decided I didn't need an account on that site.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44461 04/29/17 04:06 PM

Have you got an opinion about my speculation that bots have gotten so smart that this "overkill" really isn't overkill...is, in fact, necessary?

I read once that Google's got an algorithm that deciphers the number Captchas, which I guess extends to the address signs, and what Google can do the bad guys can likely do, so might that be at the root of it?

More: As much of a roadblock as these new Captchas are to bots, they're at least an equal annoyance to legitimate users, and they may ultimately bite their proponents on their butts.

Last edited by artie505; 04/29/17 04:20 PM. Reason: More

artie505 #44463 04/29/17 10:01 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks ARtie and Joe, so glad others are also suffering I thought it was just me.

Thanks Ira, will try audio next round.

Anyone can figure out the name of the company that is behind this? I'd like to know how to reference them when/ if I complain to a website about it. I'm sure some of these sites can choose their captcha solution.

Yeah, this one time, I flubbed, and flubbed again, and it literally never ended, never. I "think" their pattern is if you flub they put you through the grinder even harder as they assume you are a bot.

It's too much, and now I worry as Mailchimp is using it.

kevs #44464 04/29/17 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Silas, good so someone else see and has suffered too. What is this company, how have they come to dominate the Captcha market?

I have a Mailchimp newsletter and Chimp forces the Captcha for sign ins and I wonder how many people bail.

These CAPTCHAs are created be ReCAPTCHA, a subsidiary of Google.

The problem is that hackers and spammers are applying increasingly sophisticated machine learning and pattern recognition to traditional CAPTCHAs (the ones that have the distorted, wiggly letters and numbers), and those styles of CAPTCHA can now be broken by cracking software faster than humans can do it. The pane-style is a lot more resistant to machine learning, but the problem is that the panes may contain elements that are easy to overlook. (I saw one recently that said "click all the panes that contain a road sign," and one of them contained a road sign partly obscured by a telephone pole, so it was difficult to see.)

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #44466 04/29/17 11:11 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Tacit, well good to know who it is now. I understand the motivation... but it's a very flawed system, as it often never ends, and is to error prone. It's losing clients for sites.

kevs #44468 05/01/17 12:10 PM

How do the vision-impaired deal with these new Captcha? confused

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #44469 05/01/17 03:11 PM

As Ira mentioned, there's an audio option.

artie505 #44470 05/01/17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
As Ira mentioned, there's an audio option.

It's been awhile since I used one of those, because the stupid captchas that kept coming up when I hit reload were ALL illegible. So I hit the audio option, and was treated to somewhere between three and six different people all speaking different things at the same time. I was somehow magically supposed to know which voice to listen to and type what they were saying, while ignoring the others. I gave up after three or four of them.78=

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #44471 05/01/17 04:06 PM

Since there is an audio option, then why isn't it easy for all to use? Or does that require a braille reader or such?

Please excuse. I don't intend to be argumentative, I'm just confused. confused

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #44472 05/01/17 04:08 PM

anyone got a link to the "mountain/river/streetsign" captcha-inducing page?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #44473 05/01/17 04:23 PM

Patience is the key to getting past the new Captchas.

You click on the applicable images, you pay attention to the new ones that appear, you click on the new applicable ones, eventually you've got no more images that require clicking, and...Voila!

More than a time consuming nuisance, it's a major PIA, but it's not the insurmountable problem it's been made out to be.

Second V1's request for a link; we may learn something if a few of us attack the same pane and track our time.

Last edited by artie505; 05/01/17 08:58 PM. Reason: More

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard