An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can i set phone for IMAP mail and MBP to POP?
#39880 04/11/16 08:17 AM
OP Offline

I want to set up IMAP on my phone only. I cc everything I send to myself so I have a copy on my MBP, where I archive the important ones in folders. But now I get two copies on my phone.

Re: Can i set phone for IMAP mail and MBP to POP?
slolerner #39890 04/11/16 02:59 PM

You are overcomplicating the situation. Having IMAP on both your iPhone and Desktop does not prevent you from archiving your "important ones" on your desktop.
  1. If you want the archived messages to appear ONLY on your desktop create the folders On My Mac and drag or move the messages to those folders when you are on the desktop. Moving a massage from an IMAP mailbox to an On My Mac mailbox on our desktop effectively removes that message from the IMAP server. NOTE: Be sure your do not delete any messages you what to archive On My Mac when you are on your iPhone
  2. Alternatively using Mail you can create additional folders on the IMAP server and then you can archive the messages from your iPhone or desktop and they would still be available on each device.
  3. Another alternative I use is for some messages I want to be sure and preserve, I print them as PDFs to Evernote. That gives me another backup for critical data on the Evernote sever and with the Evernote folders, tags, and text search I have a wealth of search options to find related messages. Not only that but Evernote is available on all my devices.
Personally I use all three options

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/11/16 03:01 PM. Reason: Enhancement

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard