FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apple Mail with Gmail Help needed
#39386 03/11/16 06:37 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

My last email provider got out of the business so I moved to Google Appl, Gmail. So for those on Apple mail, if you can help: thanks!

1) Undo delete, command Z, no longer works
2) Spam folder, called Junk in mail, can I mark as good in Mail?
3) Folders are not deleting in Mail, crazy.

Few others question, but those are top 3 for now!
Kevs is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Last edited by dianne; 03/13/16 04:31 PM. Reason: Moved from the Mac OS X Applications forum.
Re: Apple Mail with Gmail Help needed
kevs #39390 03/11/16 09:48 PM

Could you please be a little more specific?
Originally Posted By: keys
1) Undo delete, command Z, no longer works
Specifically in what context? What are you trying to undelete? It is working for me when editing a new message using Mail 9.3 in OS X 10.11.4 beta 6.
2) Spam folder, called Junk in mail, can I mark as good in Mail?
Marking junk mail as not junk works with messages that have been identified by Apple Mail as junk (See Mail > Preferences > Junk Mail for the conditions Mail uses to identify junk mail) if it has been placed in the Junk mailbox by other means such as SpamSieve or Google it does not work. You would have to configure that in SpamSieve or online in Google Mail. You can however move the message from the junk mail folder to another folder to prevent its being deleted after the time limit specified in Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox behaviors.
3) Folders are not deleting in Mail, crazy.
What folders are you attempting to delete? How are you attempting to delete the folders?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #39391 03/11/16 10:12 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Thanks Joe!

1) Just delete a message, and then do a command Z. It's not working for me. Real bummer. Go to your deleted items and click delete, or delete any message, command Z or Edit, undo delete message, not working. I'm on Mail 9.2 OS 10.11.3

2) Right click to delete a folder, not working on Desktop, just does not delete. But its ok and working on laptop sometimes.

3) Yes I use spam sieve, Micheal gave me a filter to put in Gmail to not have emails go to the Gmail spam filter. This filter was causing unrelated havoc, (making emails copy to my inbox), so I deleted it, hence get more gmail (junk mail). That said, you are correct that because I use spam sieve (for many years), I think I have the setting to enable junk mail unchecked. You think if I checked that, then I would be able to mark the Junk Mail as ok in Mail? Or does mail have it's own Junk mail algorhythm going? And do I need spam sieve? Google's Spam filtration is famous for being very good.

Joe, how long have you used Gmail and Mail Together? Are you happy with Gmail as your server with Mail? Michael, of spam sieve, for example, says he hears lots of connection and other problems with Gmail and Mail, and recommends I find a better email server. Others say they have no problem. I had to get a new service for email as my web hoster got so many complaints about email they forced everyone to find their own server and recommended Google apps, so I went with Google apps, but Micheal said it would be better for Mail users to be with Fastmail, and a few others instead... So I'm still debating it all. If I could get Gmail to work nicely, I'll stay.

kevs #39395 03/12/16 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
1) Just delete a message, and then do a command Z. It's not working for me. Real bummer. Go to your deleted items and click delete, or delete any message, command Z or Edit, undo delete message, not working. I'm on Mail 9.2 OS 10.11.3
It works on my .Mac account and my personal email account, but not on Gmail. Google always goes their own way with everything is all I can say.
2) Right click to delete a folder, not working on Desktop, just does not delete. But its ok and working on laptop sometimes.
Same results and same answer
3) Yes I use spam sieve, Micheal gave me a filter to put in Gmail to not have emails go to the Gmail spam filter. This filter was causing unrelated havoc, (making emails copy to my inbox), so I deleted it, hence get more gmail (junk mail). That said, you are correct that because I use spam sieve (for many years), I think I have the setting to enable junk mail unchecked. You think if I checked that, then I would be able to mark the Junk Mail as ok in Mail? Or does mail have it's own Junk mail algorhythm going? And do I need spam sieve? Google's Spam filtration is famous for being very good.
Mail has its own spam filter going, Quite truthfully since I started using SpamSieve very little gets through to Mail's spam filter, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything to keep it going. I you want to turn off Mail's filtering go to Mail > Preferences > Junk Mail and Uncheck the box labeled Enable Junk Mail filtering.
Joe, how long have you used Gmail and Mail Together? Are you happy with Gmail as your server with Mail? Michael, of spam sieve, for example, says he hears lots of connection and other problems with Gmail and Mail, and recommends I find a better email server. Others say they have no problem. I had to get a new service for email as my web hoster got so many complaints about email they forced everyone to find their own server and recommended Google apps, so I went with Google apps, but Micheal said it would be better for Mail users to be with Fastmail, and a few others instead... So I'm still debating it all. If I could get Gmail to work nicely, I'll stay.
I have had a Gmail account for at least five or six years along with a .Mac account (that alone dates me), and a personal email account. Except for a few months late last year I have always used Mail with only occasional glitches. Gmail plays by their own rules and sometimes changes those rules without bothering to notify anyone which can and will cause problems for anyone not using Google's webmail interface. There have been periods in the past when Apple was playing catch up with Google tweaks, but that has not happened in quite a while now. During the few months I was not using Mail I used Airmail ($9.99 on the App Store). It is fast, clean, plays nice with Gmail (at the moment) and works well on the iPhone but not so much on the iPad. It is a bit more difficult to set up than Mail but in some ways is more configurable in choosing what goes to which mailbox. In fact that configurability got me into a spot of trouble but I was eventually able to straighten it all out. I went back to Mail because it works consistently on OS X and iOS, its configuration synchs across all my devices using the same iCloud account, it integrates fully with all the other Apple apps, and I missed the "Rules" feature one or two other "ice to have" features that are missing in the current version of Airmail.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #39399 03/12/16 12:32 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

OK Joe, thanks. Well this is a real bummer! I thought that Google would be a step up from the old server, and and yet it has this array of issues.

So you could not delete folders at will consistently either?

The spam issue was a bit complex. I just would like the ability, as you are in Gmail, to click "not spam" in Mail. Is there a simple way to do that?

Also, do you notice that sometime the reply symbol is not there after you reply?

I probably lean towards finding another server that's plays nice with Mail instead of an App that plays nice with Gmail. Such a PITA to do whole migration again.

A Good friend, who is successful web developer and loves Gmail just said to bail on Mail and IMAP, and just use the Gmail web interface. I did give a go for a couple of weeks, and it is bearable, but Mail is just so much more fluid as an interface, you agree?

You are the first to confirm that undo delete does not work, and that is so pathetic. I email Google apps, and they don't confirm anything, they are totally clueless.

kevs #39423 03/12/16 08:24 PM

Google goes its own way. Even their IMAP is not standard IMAP. As far as I know the only way you could effect Google's spam detection would be using the Google web interface (they have a vested interest as every time you access their web interface that registers as traffic on their site and not only can they collect marketable data they have an opportunity to spam you with advertising.) I use Google Mail because I am part of a group that uses a Google App for their web site and I have to have Gmail to get their traffic.

Yes, I prefer consolidating control over email messages using an email client app, whether it is Mail or Airmail, on my OS X and iOS devices to any webmail interface. I could actually access all my accounts via the Google web interface even though they are on different servers as many users do to take advantage of Googles vaunted spam filtering, but I am not partial to using anyones web mail interface.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #39424 03/12/16 10:00 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Thanks Joe, so if you were in my shoes, you would move to a new server?

I don't see advertising because Google apps is $60 year per year, but I have these issues with Mail.

Of course the worry, is I change and then some of these issues are not solved, or there are new issues.

Do you also notice sometimes your sent icon does not show?

(if I moved I'm leaning towards a company called Polaris, it's like FAstmail, but they have phone support which fastmail does not have. Fastmail is famous for great IMAP. One thing the old server did, was block my mail every blue moon because they got a spam report, real annoying. Have not seen that with Gmail yet...)

Last edited by kevs; 03/12/16 10:20 PM.
kevs #39433 03/13/16 07:06 PM

Blocking can happen with any provider and can be an indication they are more careful about spam control. If you are dissatisfied with Google then switch, there are lots of options.
  • I have no personal knowledge of Polaris nor can I find any ratings for them.
  • Mail.com has a good reputation but there again I have no personal experience.
  • Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)? Usually they include one or more email accounts as part of the service, so that might be an option.
  • If you have an Apple ID that includes an email account and you can easily create multiple aliases for that account following this Apple Knowledge Base article. NOTE: these are aliases not truly additional accounts, but a rule or two in the iCloud web interface could effectively separate them into separate mailboxes.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard