for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DSL d/l speed & AirPort?
#38690 02/06/16 08:48 AM
OP Online

For quite some time the d/l throughput to my deuced Mac(hina) from my AirPort Express Base Station (1st generation "n") was very much at odds with what it should have been based on what I saw at my router...erratic and considerably slower.

So after waiting way too long I tried switching from the 2.4GHz n only band to the 5GHz n only band yesterday, and my problem cleared up instantly.

But just now I switched back to 2.4GHz to see what would happen...and my problem didn't recur.

Is it possible that in making the initial change I somehow "flushed" or "jolted" my Base Station? (It's possible that the bad throughput began when I upgraded from Snowy to El Cap, but I just can't be sure.)

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: DSL d/l speed & AirPort?
artie505 #38735 02/08/16 04:41 PM

5 GHz is supposed to be "cleaner" than the 2.4 band; less subject to interference from spurious outside sources.

But why did switching back seem to clear things up? Perhaps your neighbor was using the microwave less often, your refrigerator settled down, or…?

As I have said before, with the complexity of all of these things, the fact that they work at all, or as often as they do, is amazing to me. wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: DSL d/l speed & AirPort?
Ira L #38743 02/09/16 09:30 AM
OP Online

Got me beat!

I've now experimented by bouncing back and forth between the 2.4 GHz and and 5 GHz bands several times, and since my first venture back to 2.4 I've gotten similar throughput from both.

I doubt that my issue had anything to do with outside devices, spurious or otherwise...it was consistent for too long, and then it just disappeared.

Being that the problem began when I upgraded from Snowy to El Cap and disappeared when I switched bands suggests to me that something in the Base Station needed "flushing", but since I know absolutely nothing about its internal workings, that's nothing more than a very wild guess.

Originally Posted By: Ira L
As I have said before, with the complexity of all of these things, the fact that they work at all, or as often as they do, is amazing to me. wink

I've said the same thing many times, Ira; sometimes I sit here scratching my head...in awe of it all.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard