Print Thread
DetectX & Adware
#35818 08/30/15 02:45 PM
OP Offline

DetectX v2.0 just noted these 3 adwares:

com.google.keystone.agent.plist
com.google.keystone.daemon.plist
com.epson.eventmanager.agent.plist

Do you think they can/should be deleted or might they be false positives by an over zealous developer? confused

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: DetectX & Adware
Pendragon #35819 08/30/15 07:53 PM

According to what turned up in a Google search com.google.keystone.agent.plist and com.google.keystone.daemon.plist are hidden updaters installed with Google Chrome and should not effect anything but Google Chrome automatic updating. I am not sure they would technically be classified as either adware or malware, but they do "phone home" and may reveal something about your usage. If I used Google Chrome regularly and wanted to keep it up to date I would probably leave com.google.keystone.agent.plist and com.google.keystone.daemon.plist unless they cause problems.

Originally Posted By: Epson
EPSON Event Manager allows you to assign any of the product buttons to open a scanning program. You can also save scan settings that you use frequently. It makes scanning your projects even quicker. Select Applications %3E EPSON Software, and double-click the Launch Event Manager icon. - Read more at http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Epson-Event-Manager-6129-program.aspx
If I had an Epson scanner I would definitely leave the Event Manager alone.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35823 08/31/15 12:07 PM
OP Offline

Many thanks, joemikeb; most helpful.

Re Google: While I don’t have Chrome, I do have Google Earth Pro, and so suspect it is that that installed that code.

And as for Epson, for scanning & such, I use VueScan, and so have not enabled Epson’s advanced/shortcut settings.

When I checked Little Snitch, I found no evidence that Google or Epson were calling home or tracking. Can it be, that the code is merely the conduit for fetching updates?

Bottom line: For now, I’ll just leave it (all) alone. Much ado about nothing, me thinks, though I did learn a bit. Always, I appreciate your time & expertise.

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #35826 08/31/15 02:36 PM

keystone was briefly causing problems when it was introduced, but it seems to be benign at this point. It basically can do things like keep Chrome updated even when you're not running it. No more in a hurry open your browser to go somewhere and get a popup "an update is available! click here to delay your urgent work a minute or two!"

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #35828 08/31/15 04:17 PM
OP Offline

DetectX had been finding "false positives". That has since been corrected and DetectX is now at V2.0.1: "Fixed a bug that could cause some false positives in the adware detector."

Parenthetically, it's a good thing I had not deleted the files I first reported. Well, thanks to Joe, that is...

And all is again, right with the world.

Harv

joemikeb #35833 08/31/15 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
If I had an Epson scanner I would definitely leave the Event Manager alone.

Heh... you haven't had the prerequisite experience wink On my model of epson, as soon as I unplug the scanner, the manger FLIPS OUT and dumps dozens of errors to systemlogd every second, until you reconnect the scanner.

You can imagine what happens... fans come up and stay up, computer slightly slows down, heats up, and hdd space slowly disappears...

Mine definitely went away.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard