for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Using an iPhone to test area WiFi signal strength
#34730 06/17/15 03:17 AM
OP Offline

This was an interesting thing one of the Apple techs suggested to me. When deciding where the optimal place is to put Airport Express devises, turn on the wifi on your iPhone and use that to determine weak areas. It's quicker than my method which was walking around with a laptop until it fell off wifi and then turning wifi off and on again, which I always had to do.

Re: Using an iPhone to test area WiFi signal strength
slolerner #34738 06/17/15 03:03 PM

I haven't had good luck with Apple's built-in wifi strength indicator, it seems to take awhile to update and often will show full bars for awhile (10-20 sec) while I stand in a dead zone wondering why my page stopped loading. Then suddenly I see the bars drop down.

So you might be better off using the phone with an app that has a faster update speed

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: Using an iPhone to test area WiFi signal strength
slolerner #34747 06/17/15 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
This was an interesting thing one of the Apple techs suggested to me. When deciding where the optimal place is to put Airport Express devises, turn on the wifi on your iPhone and use that to determine weak areas. It's quicker than my method which was walking around with a laptop until it fell off wifi and then turning wifi off and on again, which I always had to do.

There are a number of decent WiFi analysis apps available for iOS devices in the App Store. ranging in price from free to as much as $4.99 for some "bundles" of multiple analysis apps.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard