FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
External Drive: Time/Date Modified wrong in Finder
#28509 03/30/14 06:25 PM
richf Offline OP
OP Offline

I have an external hard drive attached to my wifi router in order to share files between 2 computers (I use it like a server). It had been working fine for several months, but last week something changed so that Finder is reading the wrong date/time modified for files on the external drive - all the dates are off by 1 day and 21 hours. For example, a file that I edited yesterday on my PC and copied to the external drive shows up in Windows Explorer as last modified yesterday when I view it on the PC. When I look at the same file in Finder on my Mac, it shows as modified tomorrow.

This is causing a problem because when I am moving some files, it will appear to me that a file I just edited on the Mac is older than a file I edited yesterday on the PC - so I'll work on the wrong version... Any thoughts on why this is happening or how to fix it. As I mentioned, it was working fine for months until last week. Thanks.

Re: External Drive: Time/Date Modified wrong in Finder
richf #28510 03/30/14 11:46 PM

On the outside chance that you haven't checked, are the date and time set correctly on your Mac?

Edit: And if they are, have you logged into a test user account to see if the anomalous info follows you?

Last edited by artie505; 03/31/14 12:17 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
richf #28512 03/31/14 02:44 PM

...and the next place to check for correct date & time would be in your router itself.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #28527 04/02/14 03:16 PM
richf Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your responses. I checked the router and the time was correct, but then I realized that the external hard drive I am using also has firmware on it. It turns out that the time on the external drive is incorrect, off by exactly 1 day and 21 hours. That is clearly the problem.

So, I guess this isn't a FineTunedMac issue anymore, but I am wondering if anyone has run into the following problem. I think the problem started with a power outage and the system picking up the wrong time when it was turned back on. The Date & Time setting on that software either lets me manually set the time (which I could do, but then the next time the power goes out I assume everything will go haywire again), or I can use an "NTP Service". It is currently using NTP and the primary NTP Server is set as time.windows.com. Is there a better/more consistent and accurate NTP Server I should be using.

Thanks again!

richf #28528 04/02/14 03:22 PM

Try - time.apple.com - and see if anything changes.....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard