Next Thread
Print Thread
Private Browsing???
#27096 10/18/13 03:17 PM
OP Offline

I have privacy set at “Block cookies from third parties and advertisers."

Also,..

Limited Website access to location services “deny without prompting”

I browse through Startpage/Ixquick which is supposed to hide my browsing from the different sites.

Yet, somehow, I am still getting cookies from places I’ve been in the past and places I’ve never heard of, even after I delete all cookies.

Is there something else I can do to prevent this?

Obviously these commands don’t work.

I’ve heard of the extension Apple Cookies or “Cookie” but heard they are confusing, and I get confused easily.

Any help would be appreciated as long as it's simple and understandable.
I haven't actually tried Private Browsing but read where that won't keep cookies out, either. And I want to keep my history to refer to.

Thanks.

Last edited by plantsower; 10/18/13 04:27 PM.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Private Browsing???
plantsower #27098 10/18/13 04:58 PM

You might like to check out (and install) Adblock Plus and Ghostery to help deal with cookies and advertisers.

grelber #27099 10/18/13 08:16 PM
OP Offline

Adblock Plus doesn't work for Safari and seems to be only for ads not cookies. I use Adblock (not Plus) for my ads already.

But Ghostery looks like what I want. I've never heard of it. Thanks for the help.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #27100 10/18/13 09:20 PM

If you want to completely avoid all cookies there is only one viable option. Unplug from the internet. But for most of us that is not a viable option or at least not one that we care to take. The fact is many web sites or only semi-functional or are completely non-functional without cookies. You probably would not like being without any cookies as they can be very useful. For example without cookies, you would have to enter your userid and password every time you want to post something on this site. They can help you navigate in other web sites keeping track of where you have been, etc.

What I suspect you, and most of us, want to cut down on are the cookies that track our movements on the web and "phone home" to report on where we have been on other web sties. Google, Yahoo, all of the search sites implant cookies that do that as does Facebook and thousands of other sites from institutions ranging from colleges and universities through government sites to marketing sites (they know where you went on their site, they want to know where you went on the competitions site).

There are extensions out there that can help by blocking sites attempts to "phone home" but they require effort, especially in the early stages, on your part to train the extension on what cookies you deem acceptable and which you deem unacceptable. Only you can make those choices and the initial training can take time, over a long span of time, and require maintenance as the names change to protest the guilty.

For Safari there are two that I have found useful, Cookie Stumbler (the paid version more than the free Safari Extension) which daily goes through the list of cookies that have accumulated in the past 24 hours and deletes those that are on my "bad guy" list. I had to go through thousands of cookies dozens of times to build the list and it still has to be tended regularly. Cookie Stumbler helps by maintaining information on which cookies phone home and which contain my login information to a given site. The extension version blocks attempts of cookies to phone home. The other useful extension is Ghostery that blocks attempts to phone home.

Neither of these two extensions nor the combination of both are 100% effective and basically they only handle one type of a growing list of cookie types. Frankly I often turn the extensions off because too many web sites I visit frequently are only semi-functional without cookies. For example news sites that use cookies to require your seeing the "commercial" before viewing the video clip. mad

There is a tendency for users to consider the internet as a free resource, but billions of dollars are spent creating, maintaining, and making the content available. All of that money has to come from somewhere and there are a limited number of options to pay for it: advertising and sales (the genesis of cookies that phone home), taxes, pay for use (every time you log onto a site your credit card is charged). Personally I am not sure which I dislike the least.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #27101 10/19/13 01:53 AM
OP Offline

Thanks, Joemikeb: I know what you mean. I want most stuff blocked but not my go-to websites which would be on my Whitelist with Ghostery. I had to unplug Ghostery just to reply to you because the reply button had disappeared!

I guess I'm just very angry and paranoid because of the NSA snooping. It's not like I'm doing anything wrong, but I highly resent it and now they have that 100,000 sq ft facility in Utah with in-your-face snooping even after being caught. It just makes me feel better to cut them off at the pass in some small way.:)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #27106 10/20/13 01:27 AM

Blocking cookies or Web beacons will in absolutely no way inconvenience the NSA even the tiniest iota. They don't use either. They intercept your browser's connection with Web sites directly.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #27107 10/20/13 01:31 AM
OP Offline

You're right. Now I'm just feeling silly! blush

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

tacit #27111 10/20/13 04:06 PM
OP Offline

So, do you think using Startpage or Ixquick would make a difference in NSA snooping?

Last edited by plantsower; 10/20/13 04:06 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #27113 10/20/13 09:01 PM

Ixquick encrypts information flowing between you and the browser, so (in theory) it may protect your searches from NSA snooping. I say "in theory" because one of Snowden's leaked documents suggests the NSA has found a way to break https encryption, which, if it's true, is bad news for all of us; it means there's bugger-all we can do.

What Ixquick won't do is protect you the moment you click on any search result, because if the NSA is capturing your data, they will still see you connecting to the Web site, and see what information passes between you and the Web site.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #27115 10/20/13 09:57 PM
OP Offline

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! mad

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard