FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
removing 'bing'
#26659 09/08/13 03:29 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.6.8 safari 5.1.9 Is there a way to completely remove Bing from my computer? jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: removing 'bing'
jaybass #26660 09/08/13 05:51 PM

If you mean is there any way to completely remove Bing as a search engine in Safari the answer is no. Bing is hard coded into safari as one of the three default search engines that Safari can use. Apple does this to avoid getting into a legal battle over the default browser. However, Safari > Preferences > General offers either Google or Yahoo as alternate default browsers.

The Duck Duck Go search engine can be added by a Safari extension. (Safari > Safari Extensions > Duck Duck Go. There are a lot of search engine alternatives among the various extensions in there.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #26662 09/08/13 06:58 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for that joe, I'm not surprised to hear that it's not removable from what I've been reading on another forum. So, unless I select it as a browser, it's of no consequence. jaybass.

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #26667 09/09/13 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: jaybass
So, unless I select it as a browser, it's of no consequence.

Absolutely.

Since you brought it up I have done some checking with third party browsers Chrome, Chromium, Camino, Firefox all offer Google, Yahoo, and Bing as primary search engine options. iCab offers those three and several more euro-centric search engines as well. Lightning offers Google and Bing but not Yahoo. Sunrise does not offer a default browser, instead you have to specifically go to the desired browser's home page. and as far as I can tell Roccat only offers Google. There are other Mac browsers out there of course, but those are the only ones I have to play with.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #26714 09/12/13 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: jaybass
So, unless I select it as a browser, it's of no consequence.

Absolutely.

Since you brought it up I have done some checking with third party browsers Chrome, Chromium, Camino, Firefox all offer Google, Yahoo, and Bing as primary search engine options. iCab offers those three and several more euro-centric search engines as well. Lightning offers Google and Bing but not Yahoo. Sunrise does not offer a default browser, instead you have to specifically go to the desired browser's home page. and as far as I can tell Roccat only offers Google. There are other Mac browsers out there of course, but those are the only ones I have to play with.

You are wrong about Roccat they offer Google, Bing, Yahoo!, DuckDuckGo, Ask, Wolfram Alpha and RuneSearch:Eco. You change in settings. Roccat > Preferences... and then go to General. Then under FusedBar Search choose your search provider

Meandme #26716 09/12/13 09:36 PM

Quote:
You are wrong about Roccat they offer Google, Bing, Yahoo!, DuckDuckGo, Ask, Wolfram Alpha and RuneSearch:Eco. You change in settings. Roccat > Preferences... and then go to General. Then under FusedBar Search choose your search provider

DARN. I guess that is my mistake for 2013! Well at least that is finally over with and I can relax. grin

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #26726 09/13/13 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Quote:

DARN. I guess that is my mistake for 2013! Well at least that is finally over with and I can relax. grin

Not sure if sarcastic or not, but glad you can relax! Haha

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard