Next Thread
Print Thread
Safari 6 Show/Hide Bookmarks Bug?
#25316 03/10/13 03:10 PM
dkmarsh Online OP
OP Online

OS X 10.8.2, Safari 6.0.2, Magic Trackpad. With Safari the active app:

1. Create a new tab.
2. Click the Show all bookmarks button at the left end of the bookmarks bar.
3. Use the two-fingered trackpad swipe to go back to the initial tab.
4. Click the Show all bookmarks button once again.

What do you see? Anything like this?

Actually, I suspect this isn't a bookmarks bug per se, but rather one manifestation of a wider bug with Safari's two-fingered swipe back/forward implementation, because I can't reproduce it using the more traditional navigating techniques.

I have noticed similar issues with ordinary web pages on occasion, where the content on the page navigated back to via the two-fingered swipe gets lost in the shuffle somewhere. Does this ring any bells?

Last edited by dkmarsh; 03/10/13 03:11 PM.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Re: Safari 6 Show/Hide Bookmarks Bug?
dkmarsh #25370 03/13/13 06:49 AM

I don't see anything unusual.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the two-fingered trackpad swipe to go back to the initial tab".

a) A two-finger swipe usually takes you backward/forward in your history, but since this is a new tab it has no history. Nothing happens.

b) If you mean "pinch until you see all the tabs, then use two-finger swipe", that works flawlessly for me, no matter how I intermingle "show/hide all bookmarks" with that action.

c) If I start with a new tab, "Show all bookmarks", then "Show all bookmarks" again to hide them, now I have history (consisting of a bookmarks page and an about:blank page. Two-finger swipe moves me through this history, such as it is. (I have my preferences set to "New windows open to blank page" and "New tabs open to blank page, which is where the "about:blank" is coming from.)

I was surprised to see the bookmarks page getting added to history, but it makes perfect sense. Everything is behaving as I expected.

ganbustein #25373 03/13/13 11:24 AM
dkmarsh Online OP
OP Online

Quote:
I have my preferences set to "New windows open to blank page" and "New tabs open to blank page...

I have my prefs set to open to my home page in both instances. I apologize for failing to include that information.

Do this: after opening a new blank tab, load any old web page in it. Now click the Show all bookmarks button. Does the Back button in your Safari toolbar become enabled? If so, swipe to go back. Now click the Show all bookmarks button again. Do you indeed see all your bookmarks? I don't—I see the blank grey page whose screenshot I linked to above.

If I now swipe to go forward, then swipe to go back, the bookmarks automagically reappear, albeit after a slight hesitation. Further experimentation reveals that I can make them reappear on the blank grey background if I swipe just enough to get the tab contents sliding without swiping enough to actually change the page. As I noted in my previous post, the same sort of thing happens from time to time on random web pages, only in these cases I see a blank white page; again, I can usually make the expected content appear with a little trackpad tweaking.

It "feels" to me like a layering issue, as if the content is rendered but not drawn because Safari mistakenly treats the background as being at the front.

But until/unless I find someone else with the same experience, I guess I'll have to regard it as a one-person anomaly rather than a bug...

dkmarsh #25455 03/17/13 03:58 AM

OK, now I see it.

ganbustein #25470 03/19/13 01:56 AM
dkmarsh Online OP
OP Online

Thanks.

(FWIW, Bug ID# 13448843.)

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac