for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"all webpages must be force reloaded"
#22217 06/13/12 05:06 PM
OP Offline

I have a bookmark folder with about a dozen pages that I open up when I sit down to lunch, using the "open in tabs" option. About a week ago I started having issues where the tabs were loading very slowly. The last few days they've started timing out. I noticed now that when they start grinding to a halt and failing to all fully load, I get this message when I try to open a new window:

Webpages are not responding. To visit the selected webpage, all webpages in other tabs and windows must be force reloaded. Do you want to visit this page?
Force reloading might lose information you’ve entered.

The tabs can be changed, and safari itself up on the menubar looks ok, but on most tabs the mouse goes pinwheel when I move it down into the render area. In many cases hyperlinks highlight when I move the pinwheel over them. The window cannot be scrolled by clicking the scroll bar or gestures. It's a very odd state for an app to be in, not quite frozen.

If I allow it, all the tabs reload and safari appears to work more normally. I though maybe I was just loading too many tabs, so I just split them up into two smaller groups and just the second group is now causing the problem also. Weird huh?

Also I just noticed, when it "force reloads" the window full of tabs, only the first tab LOADS. the others sit there idle. If I then switch tabs to one of the others, it then starts to reload. (so they don't all reload at once)

And FWIW, although the pinwheel shows below in the tabs, they are clickable....

Safari 5.1.7
Mac OS 10.6.8

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: "all webpages must be force reloaded"
Virtual1 #22218 06/13/12 07:10 PM

> [...] when it "force reloads" the window full of tabs, only the first tab LOADS. the others sit there idle.

I've never experienced your other symptoms or seen your pop-up, but I do experience the quoted effect every time Safari Web Content crashes while I've got a window with multiple tabs either open or loading. As you say, the first tab loads, then when I switch to the second tab I've got to wait for it to load, etc, etc. (SWC seems to be more likely to crash while I'm loading a page full of tabs than it is otherwise.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard