FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chicken of the VNC
#15913 06/07/11 07:02 PM
iBozz Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm using Chicken of the VNC v 2.0b4 on an i7 iMac under OSX.6.7 to monitor, remotely, a G4 eMac and a G4 Tower both under OSX.4.11. I have a local wireless network via a password protected and encrypted NetGear DG834G router.

I know that all three machines are connected, as they all appear in the i7's Finder as correctly mounted and I have DropBox on all three and all files are fully updated. I also run Folding@Home on all three machines (which run 24/7 because, inter alia, of Folding) and InCrease on the i7 clearly can see what is happening with Folding on the Tower as well as the eMac.

So far, so good, and Chicken has worked perfectly for my remote operation/monitoring purposes for eighteen months or so.

Until now.

For the past fortnight, I've been able to connect to the eMac as normal but whenever I try to make a Chicken connection to the Tower I get a constantly spinning beach-ball and a "Not Responding" message in "Force Quit".

I've rebooted both machines in case there was a temporary glitch, but that achieved nothing.

So, how come DropBox is working as expected, the i7's Finder connects correctly, InCrease can read what is happening on the Tower and yet Chicken, although connecting to the eMac, cannot connect to the Tower?

What can I do to correct this?

Unfortunately, the Tower no longer has a monitor so the only way that I can actually "log on and operate" it is via Chicken.

Help!

Thanks in advance.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017); 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5; 2TB HD; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5" Model MPME2B/A with 512GB capacity; iPhone SE 2020 256GB
Re: Chicken of the VNC
iBozz #15931 06/08/11 05:25 PM

So the tower is the only machine that is having problems being remotely accessed? Try booting it up in target disk mode, then cable it to the emac, and start the emac off the tower's hard drive. Use that to troubleshoot.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: Chicken of the VNC
Virtual1 #16024 06/13/11 07:17 PM
iBozz Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Virtual1, and apologies for the delay in acknowledging your suggestion.

The Tower was the only one giving trouble and, after cogitating a bit, I recalled that I had Chicken installed on the eMac from back in the days before I acquired the iMac (18 months ago) so I tried connecting to the Tower from there - and it worked!

Now I cannot begin to explain this, but I noticed that the Tower's Host address from the eMac was set at nnn.nnn.n.5 whereas the non-connecting iMac had it as nnn.nnn.n.3 - I changed the 3 to a 5 and it connected.

Now quite how, why and when the Host address on the iMac's Chicken changed, or was changed either by me or the system, I have no idea but changed it was.

I have no recollection of changing it myself, certainly not deliberately, as I would never have any need to change it. The only explanation that I can imagine is that a touch of digital indexterity combined with fat fingers when opening Chicken must have occurred at some time without my being aware of it.

Thanks for the advice - I'll file that away for the next time!

Last edited by iBozz; 06/13/11 07:17 PM. Reason: Correcting typos

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017); 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5; 2TB HD; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5" Model MPME2B/A with 512GB capacity; iPhone SE 2020 256GB

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard