for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Have I broken Firefox (on another mac)?
#12831 11/21/10 05:44 PM
OP Offline

This is very odd. On another Mac, I changed Firefox preferences to show screen colour grey instead of default white. This is because so many sites have glaring white background (like this one) and it is beginning to frizzle my eyeballs (I currently have conjunctivitis).

Now, Firefox on that Mac, will not display any site images, on any website, despite the fact that I did nothing with the "display images" button.

Reboot does not not restore displayed images, despite reluctantly returning background colour to white.

This isn't as trivial as it sounds - some of the sites I use, you have to click on an image to proceed - internet banking for instance.

Any ideas?

confused

Re: Have I broken Firefox (on another mac)?
Bensheim #12836 11/22/10 12:17 AM

Quote:
Now, Firefox on that Mac, will not display any site images, on any website, despite the fact that I did nothing with the "display images" button.

Have you tried setting the pref to not load images, then toggling it back to its default state?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #12841 11/22/10 08:54 AM
OP Offline

I've tried that many times. I've also got Firefox off another Mac and tried that. No effect. I've downloaded a fresh Firefox and installed that. No effect.

There must be some hidden preferences file somewhere which I can trash. Is it a p-list thing? I've looked at p-lists, but the only ones with yesterday's date on do not refer to Firefox.

Has Adblock plus got anything to do with it, even though I've never altered it. I've now disabled it. No effect.

HELP!

Bensheim #12842 11/22/10 09:07 AM

Try moving /Users/Your short name/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist to your desktop, then restart your Mac; OS X will create a new file either immediately or as needed.

If your problem is resolved, trash the original file and reset any associated preferences; if not, restore the original to from whence it came by overwriting the new one.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Bensheim #12844 11/22/10 11:33 AM

If Artie's suggestion doesn't work, try the same with ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox. That Firefox folder has a lot of stuff in it so you may want to experiment with the contents of the folder instead of the whole folder. If removing the folder works, you can restore items from it to see which is the guilty party.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #12846 11/22/10 01:13 PM
OP Offline

Phew, (blinking with relief) after a couple of hours I've finally got it working again.

I guessed it was a plist thing, because the newly downloaded Firefox came up with all my bookmarks etc. intact. Therefore it was reading preferences from somewhere........

I did Artie's suggestion first, having had a lot of trouble finding it. Eventually I clicked on the hard disk icon which shows different folders to that which are displayed on my Finder screen (btw is this usual, or something else I've done wrong?).

Then I went on to Firefox Support which led me down some other routes including clearing cache and more twiddling with Firefox Preferences and another reboot.

Now websites are displaying as they should. That'll teach me to try to dim glaring white displays. I've turned the brightness right down in System Preferences instead.

MANY THANKS for your help.

I suppose I can re-enable Adblock Plus now?

Also, in the midst of all that I tried to export my Firefox bookmarks to Safari and followed the instructions exactly, twice. Safari must have the worst bookmark management function in the universe, so I gave up on that too.

Bensheim #12847 11/22/10 01:57 PM

Quote:
Also, in the midst of all that I tried to export my Firefox bookmarks to Safari and followed the instructions exactly, twice. Safari must have the worst bookmark management function in the universe, so I gave up on that too.
Did you try importing FF bookmarks to Safari? Go to Safari's File menu and click Import Bookmarks.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard