FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do people still see you ip from yahoo mail
#12598 10/29/10 04:02 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

If I get an anonymous lycos or yahoo email account/ and send a complaint to a bad website, can they still trace who I am?

Re: Do people still see you ip from yahoo mail
kevs #12599 10/29/10 06:15 PM

First thing to do is send an email from your lycos account to another account (of someone other than you) or of a reasonably anonymous nature. Read that email, "showing full headers" to see what headers they include. It may include your ip address. (I don't know offhand for them)

Also, in theory, someone with a subpoena or good social engineering skills could contact Yahoo and request records from their mailserver which could most certainly get your ip address.

Sometimes idiots at the help desk will tell you anything you want to know if you start out by claiming to be a law enforcement agent or fax/mail them a request on a similarly suggestive letterhead. Smarter people will spoof caller ID to make it look like a call coming from a police department. Social engineering basically can break any security or procedures. So from that angle, the answer to "can they get my info" is always "yes" unless they don't have your info to begin with or are 100% under your control.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
kevs #12606 10/29/10 10:42 PM

The email will likely contain your IP address, yes. It will definitely contain your IP address if you send it using a POP or IMAP program like Mail or Entourage. If oyu send it via Webmail, it may contain your IP address or the IP address of the mail server, depending on how the Web front-end is configured.

If you absolutely must anonymize it, send it through a proxy.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #12612 10/30/10 04:22 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks guys,
well I guess I would be at my computer, but in the lycos website sending the email. ok, so if I'm sending to a bad people and want to keep anonymous, just use proxy as said. There are some software that hide or fake out ips. I would go that route.

kevs #12613 10/30/10 07:29 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ps tacit,
I found hidemyip.com
I thought was $30 one time fee, but actually $30 / year.
any other more economical options for using proxy?

kevs #12614 10/30/10 09:58 PM

Google for "free anonymous proxy" and you should be able to find all kinds of options. Use one of them to send mail via Webmail.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #12615 10/30/10 11:21 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Tacit,
thanks well the one thing I like about the paid one I found is that is clearly says your on your proxy now, and you are off your proxy now. the free ones, I'm confused, how would you know your are on/off?
also, do these have to be Macintosh?
I not really sure how to even use the free ones, did the google search. any recommendations? you can pm if you want or put here. I don't care. thanks!
that said, I would like free one, the paid one wants $30 every year, and it does not seem to work with webmail

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard