FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Big router problem
#12366 10/13/10 04:28 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Lost internet last night, now it's on, uplugged modem and router, replugged, but now for airport I don't see the black bars filled as usually do and don't see "kevs" with lock etc.
Have no idea what to do.
thanks.

Re: Big router problem
kevs #12368 10/13/10 05:03 PM

You have a wide range of possibilities here:
  1. If you have not rebooted your computer, do so now. If the signal strength bars are still greyed out then…
    1. Click on the signal strength icon (the "black bars") and…
    2. If the drop down menu says "Turn Airport On" then click on it to resart your Airpot.
    3. If it says Turn Airport Off then from the list of networks showing, choose your network and click on it. -- Enter the network passsword if it is requested.
  2. If your airport is on and you are connected to your local network, but you are not getting to the internet then…
    1. Power down your computer, your router, and your modem - in that specific order.
    2. Wait at least 30 seconds then one at a time reboot the modem (wait until the lights indicate you have a network (internet) connection; reboot the router and again wait until the lights indicate it is connected to the modem; then and only then reboot your computer. After your computer completes booting, go back to step I
  3. If do not have a WiFi connection and cannot see your network then your wireless router may have failed. Try connecting directly to the router via ethernet and see if that works. If it does work then the WiFi in your router has probably failed.
  4. If you have a network connection, but no internet connection try connecting your computer directly to the modem with an ethernet cable to see if that works. If it does then your router probably needs to be replaced.
  5. If you can cannot connect by going directly through the modem it is time to call your internet service provider's technical support to figure out what is wrong.
Let us know what you find

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #12377 10/13/10 07:12 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe,
thanks, great info, I'll keep this.
strangely, right after I wrote this, the black bars re-appeared on my laptop in the other room and I was able to connect to files.

But oddly on my desktop the black bars are all grey.

In realty that does not matter practically as I don't use airport on the desktop but is that odd?

kevs #12382 10/14/10 12:54 AM

If your desktop machine is connected to the network via ethernet then you do not want it to be connected to the WiFi (Airport) as well. The exception to this would be if the desktop machine is creating the network the AE is connecting to.

In my previous post I assumed the more normal situation where the AE is connected to the modem by ethernet and in turn is creating the WiFi network. Was I mistaken in that assumption?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #12385 10/14/10 03:09 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

think you are right Joe. anyway, later in day, the desktop airport started connecting ok, yet in morning it would not connect. It's like it's finicky or grouchy in the morning?

I have your great notes though for future crisis.

kevs #12388 10/14/10 04:40 AM

I'd try joemike's suggestions first, but I'll mention that when my AirPort Express Base Station recently stopped showing bars a reset cured it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #12391 10/14/10 05:45 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks, is there a reset on the router somewhere?

kevs #12393 10/14/10 06:13 AM

> thanks, is there a reset on the router somewhere?

I can only answer for my AirPort Express Base Station... On the bottom, next to the ethernet, etc. ports is a tiny "button" that, when pushed (a straightened-out paper-clip works just fine), resets the BS. (The LED changes from green to amber. [ot]That emerald green is the neatest LED color I've ever seen![/ot])

Resetting requires that the BS be plugged-in.

I'll repeat, though, that you'll probably be best off trying joemike's suggestions first.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #12405 10/14/10 03:20 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I have netgear.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard