FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pop up blocking issue
#12275 10/09/10 05:23 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I have website. and my rates info page opens in it's own window.
Which is the way I like it.
Still, I think some windows users every now and then say it's not working for them.
What is this? they have some block on any pop up?

Re: Pop up blocking issue
kevs #12281 10/09/10 07:49 PM

I assume you mean that when someone visiting your site clicks on a request for your rates, the rates, you want the browser open in a new window rather than replacing the contents of the window that is already open? Is my assumption correct? If it is correct...
  1. is the new window created using
    1. an HTML Target= tag,
    2. JavaScript,
    3. Flash,
    4. or some other way?
  2. Do you know if this is happening in different browsers or only one browser such as Firefox? (Firefox has an option in Preferences to "Open new windows in a new tab instead" that will override the Target= HTML tag.)
  3. Have you tested this with different browsers on the Mac? (Safari has an Open pages in tabs Always preference that does essentially the same thing as the previously mention Firefox option.)
If the rates window is simply not showing up at all, I would suspect a third party security suite and/or popup blocker. Whether or not it can be overcome depends on how the rates window is generated and how much effort you are willing to put into the effort.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #12295 10/09/10 11:39 PM

> Still, I think some windows users every now and then say it's not working for them.

If "windows" really means "Windoze" you may be looking for assistance in the wrong place.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #12325 10/10/10 06:52 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yeah, Joe, it's a issue on their end. Unsophisticated web users, so it's a dilemma. Lot of trade offs. Just spoke with my web hoster/designer about what to do. I'll keep you posted.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard