for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nonreciprocal Mac network issue #2
#11113 07/24/10 10:51 PM
OP Offline

Since a few months I'm having a networking problem in which I can no longer connect (either wired or wireless) to a MacBook Pro from the other Macs on the home network, but a connection works just fine when it is made from the MBP to the others. This onesidedness wasn't always the case, as things worked OK once I had fixed a basic issue about a year and a half ago (Nonreciprocal Mac network listings), but since this somewhat different problem appeared my troubleshooting hasn't yielded a solution yet.

The link above describes the network in some detail, and this is still valid; the only difference is that the Macs now run Leopard except for one MB on Snow Leopard. I checked the current Network settings (including IP# and subnet mask) and they look OK; sharing is enabled everywhere. To be sure, I disabled sharing on the MBP, then re-enabled it, but this didn't change things.

The problem manifests itself in that the MBP is listed in the various (Go>) Network windows, but selecting it never goes anywhere until the attempt times out ('Connection Failed'). Interestingly, the MBP is the only Mac also represented as a PC server, but this option is nonfunctional.
Using 'Connect to Server' with the appropriate IP address won't work either, and returns the error message 'You cannot connect to this server because it cannot be found on the network. Try again later or try a different URL.'

From the other Macs' point of view the MBP behaves as if it were sleeping, but it isn't. Any guess(es) as to what I'm missing here?

alternaut moderator
Re: Nonreciprocal Mac network issue #2
alternaut #11115 07/25/10 12:42 AM

Have you tried clearing ALL caches on ALL machines to see if that might be your issue?

Have you tried a direct networking setup where you isolate the MBP and any one of your other computers, then assign manual IP's with a direct CAT 5 cable connection (no router)?

It's a starting point at least.....let us know.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #11125 07/26/10 12:28 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for the suggestions, Lee. I had cleared the caches (using Cocktail) as part of my initial troubleshooting, and just for giggles did it again with the MBP and an iMac G5. Unfortunately, the test didn't produce any results other than the ones I described above: when connected only by an ethernet cable (Airport off) the problem persisted with the same errors: no connection from the iMac to the MBP, while the other way around was just fine.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #11126 07/26/10 01:59 AM

Try resetting your network interfaces to factory default on the MBP.....LINK.

If that doesn't do it try resetting your SMC.....

Good luck.

MacManiac #11131 07/27/10 01:43 AM
OP Offline

I'm sorry to report that neither attempt met with success. Using the Go>Network route I got another:
'Connection Failed
The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connection and try again. OK.
'

Trying Go>Connect to server yielded:
'The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "afp://w.x.y.z" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)
Try Again / Cancel
'.

frown

alternaut moderator
alternaut #11154 07/27/10 09:31 PM

alternaut,

Just a link for your review. It may be a false trail for troubleshooting your setup.

This MacFixItForums thread reports the message: "The Finder could not complete the operation because some data in "afp://192.168.0.44" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)"

File Sharing--Connection Failed

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #11163 07/28/10 01:35 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for digging up that thread, Dianne! Eliminating non-applicable items from tacit's list, it looks like I should reinstall. Let's start with rerunning the 10.5.8 Combo installer, who knows, but somehow I'm not holding my breath...

alternaut moderator
alternaut #11165 07/28/10 04:34 AM

I didn't want to go there, but reapplying the 10.5.8 Combo update would be a good place to start......and the full OS re-install option was next on my list.

Let us know.

MacManiac #11186 07/29/10 01:54 AM
OP Offline

As I suspected, running the 10.5.8 Combo installer didn't fix the problem. Next step is a full OS re-install (including security updates etc.), but that's got to wait until I have the time AND the MBP is available for the duration. Since the one-way 'workaround' is still present, there is no great rush...

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard