FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Firefox Question and an icon question
#9517 04/17/10 11:31 PM
OP Offline

Two questions, unrelated:

1. I noticed when I use Firefox, I can't page down part way down, I have to page all the way to the bottom of the page, no in between. With Safari, I can choose either one. I don't always want to page down to the bottom of the page. Is there a way to do the partial page-down with Firefox?

2. Have you ever downloaded something and the icon pops onto the desktop right on the dock and under dock icons? It makes it very difficult to get to. Is there a way to avoid this? It's been happening a lot. My dock is on the bottom which is where I like it.

Thanks guys.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Firefox Question and an icon question
plantsower #9519 04/18/10 12:00 AM

Hi, Rita,

Responding to question 1, if you mean moving your cursor to the middle of the scroll-bar and clicking to get to that point in the page, it works for me in Firefox 3.6.3.

Responding to question 2, I don't use a Dock and, so, have never come up against your problem, but I think your best bet, other than command-option-D to get your Dock out of sight for the moment, is to read Arrange By doesn't stick and get rid of your desktop's .DS_Store file.

Hope this helps.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #9521 04/18/10 12:27 AM
OP Offline

Hi Artie:

I just downloaded Firefox 3.6.3 and it works the way you do it. Thanks for the tip. I'm used to clicking Option and Page down and it working that way in Safari. Not so with Firefox.

I didn't know about the Command/Option D. That's perfect. Thanks. I thought everyone used the dock. LOL!! It's so handy. I'll look at that other link you gave me but the above works great.

Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505
Hi, Rita,

Responding to question 1, if you mean moving your cursor to the middle of the scroll-bar and clicking to get to that point in the page, it works for me in Firefox 3.6.3.

Responding to question 2, I don't use a Dock and, so, have never come up against your problem, but I think your best bet, other than command-option-D to get your Dock out of sight for the moment, is to read Arrange By doesn't stick and get rid of your desktop's .DS_Store file.

Hope this helps.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #9524 04/18/10 02:01 AM

Great! You're up and running. smile

>I thought everyone used the dock.

I hate using my trackpad, so I launch most apps with hot keys (via Butler's "Keystrokes" functionality). (Right now, with Finder, four apps, and Trash, my Dock - in the lower right hand corner of my screen - is about 1/8" by 1/4".)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #9528 04/18/10 03:59 AM
OP Offline

Gosh, so many ways to do the same things. Good to know. Thanks again, Artie. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #9530 04/18/10 05:26 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Gosh, so many ways to do the same things. Good to know. Thanks again, Artie. smile

There's more than one way to chomp an Apple, Rita.

You're very welcome. smile

artie505 #9532 04/18/10 05:29 AM
OP Offline

LOL! I love that analogy. Gives me confidence to try new stuff!!!

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: plantsower

There's more than one way to chomp an Apple, Rita.

You're very welcome. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #9534 04/18/10 08:04 AM

Go for it!!!

plantsower #9562 04/20/10 12:44 AM

I make it a point to download to a Downloads folder, not to the Desktop. With my computer the way it is (as I type this, I have 73 items on my Desktop and 67 things in my Dock--down from 84 things in my Dock) I can't realistically download onto the Desktop.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #9569 04/20/10 04:51 AM
OP Offline

Wow, you've got a lot of stuff on your desktop!!! I like to keep mine clutter free. That's an idea, though, using the download folder. Duh!! I've just always downloaded to my desktop. If I ever get a busy desktop like you, I will probably use a download folder.

Thanks.

Rita

Originally Posted By: tacit
I make it a point to download to a Downloads folder, not to the Desktop. With my computer the way it is (as I type this, I have 73 items on my Desktop and 67 things in my Dock--down from 84 things in my Dock) I can't realistically download onto the Desktop.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #9574 04/20/10 03:22 PM

Wow, you've got a lot of stuff on your desktop!!! I like to keep mine clutter free

I strive to keep my desktop items to one column. Though lately I've been running one and a half....

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
tacit #9583 04/20/10 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
I have 73 items on my Desktop...

[Off topic]

Interesting. Recalling several posts about stuffed desktops that markedly slow down the Finder, I wonder if you haven’t noticed any of that. It’s the main reason I recommend using folders to keep the amount of desktop detritus to a minimum.

[/Off topic]

alternaut moderator
alternaut #9680 04/25/10 12:41 PM

I've noticed that it takes the Finder a long time to launch when I boot, and a long time to relaunch if for whatever reason I need to force quit it, but there seems to be little in the way of slowdown for general use.

However, having said that, my understanding is that every Desktop icon is an OpenGL object in OS X, so it's probably consuming a lot of my computer's video RAM to have so many desktop icons.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #9683 04/25/10 05:02 PM

Thanks for that view on things, tacit. It puts the issue in perspective. cool

alternaut moderator
alternaut #9688 04/26/10 04:20 PM

Too many icons on the desktop only become a problem when they fill the screen. At that point, the next new icon to be drawn appears in the upper right corner. And so does the next, and the next. This having hundreds of icons stacked on top of each other in one place is what slows things down.

Almost always caused by someone doing some sort of find (in finder or itunes usually) and then select-all and drag n drop to the desktop. Suddenly a thousand items are moved or copied to the desktop, and things basically grind to a halt, where any finder action takes sometimes 30 seconds.

Easiest way to fix that is NOT via the desktop. Single user mode and mv 'em, or login as root and open in a regular finder window and drag move them, or boot into firewire target mode and do same. Just don't try to get them on the desktop at the same time.

Finder actually doesn't fair too badly when many files are in list or icon view in a regular finder window. I've had windows open with over 3000 items in them and finder was sluggish, but usable. It's just when it's trying to pile icons so deep in one place that it has problems.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard