for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pesky username local networking query
#7636 01/17/10 07:07 PM
OP Offline

I have tried to solve this myself, have looked at Apple forums, honest.

It seems a long time ago I installed 2 more Macs here but it's probably only weeks. At that time I got into a muddle with Accounts but this was solved at a stroke with a tip from a Mod here (the tip was to create accounts on every computer which are identical = instant networking around the office).

However, a vestige of my muddle remains, viz:

On this computer, called W........, when I network to one other named D........, this one automatically puts in to the Connect to Server dialogue box, a username which I have deleted, at both ends.

The only way round it is to overtype it with the account name which exists at both ends.

How to get rid of an old dead deleted username which automatically hogs the Connect to Server dialogue box but is overtypeable?

I've checked Deleted Users at both ends, and deleted all deleted users......... confused It's not a big deal, just a tad irritating.

I hope I've said enough. I'd supply a screen-shot but this forum doesn't host images.

Thanks

Re: Pesky username local networking query
Bensheim #7637 01/17/10 07:55 PM

I assume you've tried simply deleting the pre-entered, defunct address? For me in OS X 10.5, that's all it takes to make the Server Address field blank on subsequent invocations of the Connect to Server dialog.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #7647 01/17/10 10:39 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

I assume you've tried simply deleting the pre-entered, defunct address? For me in OS X 10.5, that's all it takes to make the Server Address field blank on subsequent invocations of the Connect to Server dialog.

Sorry DK, don't understand.

I have to delete the pre-entered name to type in the name which works. Just deleting the defunct name leaves a blank, which of course, won't connect.

10.4 Tiger here fwiw.

Bensheim #7648 01/17/10 10:41 PM

Another possible solution is to use Keychain Access on computer W……. and delete the incorrect keychain entry/entries for D…….

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Bensheim #7652 01/17/10 11:28 PM

> I'd supply a screen-shot but this forum doesn't host images.

You can upload a screenshot to one of the free hosting sites and link to it here.

(I use Free Image Hosting.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Bensheim #7672 01/18/10 06:09 AM

Quote:
I have to delete the pre-entered name to type in the name which works. Just deleting the defunct name leaves a blank...

Hmm...so you can't delete the pre-entered name, then simply dismiss the dialogue, then invoke it again?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Bensheim #7695 01/18/10 06:50 PM

not sure if I am understanding correctly, but if you have connected to a server using a login and password, that will be in the keychain. Next time you try the connection, you won't be asked for l/p if the one in the keychain still works.

The two ways around this are (1) remove the entry from the keychain, and (2) specify login and password in the connect dialog.

The syntax for (2) varies depending on what you are connecting to.
Here's one I have in my connect list:

smb://graphics;jason:Art123@10.0.0.100/Art

Connects to the "Art" SMB share (workgroup "graphics") on 10.0.0.100, using login "jason" and password "Art123". In that case the workgroup can be omitted, and so also can the password and the share point name, but this supplies everything. In this way no entry is made into the keychain either.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
joemikeb #7700 01/18/10 08:15 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Another possible solution is to use Keychain Access on computer W……. and delete the incorrect keychain entry/entries for D…….

Well Done That Man!

Or, as they say in (parts of) England, "Swipe me!"

I have never looked at the Keychain utility before. I had no need to. Thanks to you, I fired it up and there were two redundant accounts - at the top of the list - which I deleted, cheerfully.

There was another one which bothered me for a while but eventually I deleted that one too.

Now, when I click on Network, then D........, up comes the identity with which I want to log on there, default, in the Network dialogue box. Hooray!

*Mark this thread sorted/fixed, and with so many thanks once again to the helpful people here.

*Memo to the last helpful Admin who responded last time I made this positive remark, saying something like "we don't do that here just so's ya know": there is another forum I visit very occasionally on finance, where people can thank each other for helpful posts, by clicking on a button, thus registering thanks to a Helpful Poster....shame we don't have this here. Just a thought.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard