for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
URLs: Safari v Firefox
#6415 12/06/09 06:52 AM
OP Online

Running Safari Version 3.2.3 (5525.28.30)...

Months ago I noticed that I did not have to type http://(www. if necessary) into my Safari address bar, because Safari took care of that on its own.

Just the other day, however, I noticed that Safari also enters .suffix. (It queries Open DNS [I sometimes see an "opendns" or some-such URL flash cross my address bar.] and enters .com [default]...other suffixes if there's no .com [but I've no idea what "default hierarchy" it uses].)

As an experiment, I d/l'd Firefox 3.5.5 (the latest version), and found that it only takes me to Open DNS.

Have I stumbled on an unheralded Safari feature, or am I merely ages behind the times?

Edit: I just found this at Safari Help/Typing webpage addresses (URLs):

Quote:
To avoid needless typing, type the key part of the address and Safari will fill in the rest. For instance, to visit “http://www.cats.com,” type “cats.com”.

(Emphasis added.)

So something's...well...something. confused

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: URLs: Safari v Firefox
artie505 #6428 12/06/09 11:31 PM

That feature was working for me in Safari 3 and maybe even Safari 2 but I don't remember for sure. It is one of the reasons I have always preferred Safari over the Mozilla browsers (Firefox, Camino, and SeaMonkey). The autocompletion does seem to have gotten smarter in Safari 4, but that is just a general impression on my part.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: URLs: Safari v Firefox
joemikeb #6431 12/06/09 11:43 PM
OP Online

> The autocompletion does seem to have gotten smarter in Safari 4, but that is just a general impression on my part.

I was surprised to see Safari 3's autocompletion contradicting its "Help," but Apple might have omitted mentioning that .suffix can be omitted because people would find themselves visiting .coms when they wanted .nets, etc.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard