for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Firefox weirdo
#5105 10/18/09 06:31 PM
OP Offline

I've just spent hours selecting and then bookmarking seven pages off a website and filed them neatly in the correct bookmarks folder for later perusal.

Now, and I've never seen this before, when I click on those bookmarks, they each open in the sidebar, leaving Google my home page, open in the main browser window.

This is very irritating. I've had to go to Manage Bookmarks, control+click on them one by one and say "Open in new window". This then opens seven new windows. The original bookmarks still open in the sidebar. WHY? Why only those bookmarks and no others? How can I make the blasted things open in the main window just like every other bookmark I've ever made in my life?

Thanks. I'm sure there's a simple explanation and fix, but I've just wasted another couple of hours on a research project.

Re: Firefox weirdo
Bensheim #5108 10/18/09 07:51 PM

What browser are you using and what version of that browser?
Can you provide an example of one of the troublesome bookmarks?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #5125 10/19/09 01:22 PM

The topic title is a tipoff, totally.

So, when these bookmarks were created, where did they land before you filed them away in their proper place?

What happens if you disable the sidebar?

Gregg #5131 10/19/09 04:20 PM

Quote:
The topic title is a tipoff, totally.

Ouch! What is the emoticon for a dope slap?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #5134 10/19/09 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Ouch! What is the emoticon for a dope slap?

:doh:

With a limited supply, one has to pretend.

Gregg #5167 10/20/09 06:21 PM
OP Offline

Joe and Gregg, thanks for replying.

It was only one website, and I was clicking on their own "bookmark this" link. That made the bookmarks go into my sidebar. Experimentally, I went back and made a bookmark in the usual way using my iMac top-line-thing, what's the word? Along the top of the screen> Firefox, File, edit, view, history, bookmarks.....that one. Thence, that website's bookmarks behaved themselves as they should.

I therefore conclude that it was that website's "bookmark this" which caused the problem.

I'm reluctant to post the link because there's no point in anyone else carrying out the same experiment. The other reason is that this site, selling fairly expensive services, did not reply to me in 48 hours.

Not impressed with them despite all the hours I've sat here researching their services, so, they're off my list.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard