FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
usb back up
#66006 04/14/24 02:22 AM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I have installed everything from my computer onto a USB thumb drive. In the event of a complete disaster, could I reinstall everything? and if so, just how would I do that?

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: usb back up
jaybass #66007 04/14/24 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by jaybass
I have installed everything from my computer onto a USB thumb drive. In the event of a complete disaster, could I reinstall everything? and if so, just how would I do that?
You should be able to reinstall everything, but how you'd go about it depends upon what "everything" means and how you got it to the thumb drive in the first place.

Did you use drag & drop, a cloning utility, some other method?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #66009 04/14/24 01:25 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

artie, I dragged the apps and the documents into a new thumb drive. When I checked to see if they had actually been copied, it had copied apps, doc, photos, music, recents and abc ( my admin name) I don't know if emails would be included. Like I said, how would I reinstall "everything"

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #66010 04/14/24 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaybass
Like I said, how would I reinstall "everything"

jaybass

With the understanding that
  1. Thumb Drives are the least reliable media short of a floppy disk and are not intended for use as a backup.
  2. You have a 1 TB thumb drive
  3. Your drag and drop copy is likely to have missed some critical files.
  4. A complete recovery requires reinstalling the OS which is not included in your drag and drop copy.

To “reinstall everything”:
  1. Launch SuperDuper and clone Macintosh HD to your Thumb Drive
  2. Shut down your iMac
  3. Press the power button and immediately press and hold ⌘R
  4. If you see a lock, enter the password for your iMac
  5. If you have multiple volumes on your disk, select the volume you want to recover, then click Next.
  6. If requested, choose an administrator account, click Next, enter the password for the account, then click Continue.
  7. If the Wi-Fi menu icon (in the upper-right corner of the screen) contains one or more bars , Wi-Fi is turned on and connected to a wireless network. If the Wi-Fi menu icon doesn’t contain any bars , Wi-Fi is turned on but isn’t connected to a wireless network. If the Wi-Fi menu icon has a slash through it, Wi-Fi is turned off. Wi-Fi needs to be turned on before you can join a wireless network and will be needed for the next step.
  8. Select reinstall macOS and follow the on-screen instructions
  9. When prompted for a backup, select your Thumb Drive
  10. When the process completes, you will have recovered all of your data and the OS, but you will likely lose Launchpad folders and a few other settings

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/14/24 05:20 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #66011 04/14/24 05:58 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I have just checked apps, docs etc on my HD and they correspond exactly with the numbers on the thumb drive. I guess I haven't missed anything. However, after reading the procedure you posted, I think I will rely on how to "Recover all your files from a Time Machine backup" which I have a printed copy. I am familiar with command R having reinstalled my OS several times. I will erase my thumb drive and put it to a more useful purpose.

Thank you for your detailed input.

jaybass

joemikeb #66030 04/23/24 09:35 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I did erase and remove the usb but today when I opened photos, there is nothing there. A window opened saying " you can open another library and set it as the SystemPhoto Library in settings." There also an option to click or quit or open other which after clicking, produces another window called "Choose Library" which says "Choose a photo library from the list, find another library on your computer, or create a new library" I have looked under Safari settings and system settings but I don't see or know what to do., Can I retrieve my photos?

jaybass

jaybass #66031 04/23/24 10:16 PM

I've got no idea what happened to your original library, but chances are that the most recent library on your list is the one you're looking for.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard