for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Enclosure recommendation?
#48670 04/26/18 07:40 AM
OP Online

Either my OWC Mercury Elite Pro mini's power switch or USB 3 port is in the process of crapping out on me, and I'd like to buy a new enclosure for my SanDisk 500 GB SSD. (It's FireWire 800 capable, and I could buy a FireWire/Thunderbolt adapter, but I've been spoiled by USB 3's considerably faster speed.)

I'm not an OWC fan in the least, and I'd prefer (to even pay more for) a different brand.

All recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Enclosure recommendation?
artie505 #48688 04/27/18 12:44 PM
OP Online

Well, this thread has now been seen by 21 viewers with no suggestions having been made, which I take as at least an implied 50% OWC suggestion rate, so since my current enclosure is apparently in its final death throes, and I've been unable to find an equivalent, I've ordered this OWC Mercury Elite Pro mini . crazy

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #48689 04/27/18 01:21 PM

I didn't reply because I'm a OWC fan. Good luck with your new enclosure. Did you order it with a HDD or SSD? I have both types installed and the difference in speed is astounding. For example, updating the HDD clone takes upwards of 10 minutes, whereas it takes 3-4 minutes with the SSD.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #48694 04/27/18 04:16 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I didn't reply because I'm a OWC fan.

As I said, "...no suggestions..., which I take as at least an implied 50% OWC suggestion rate...." grin

This enclosure replaces an equivalent OWC model which I've been running with a 500 GB SanDisk SSD, and yup, the speed difference between the SSD and the HDDs I previously ran is truly astounding.

I don't recall when I put the original into service, but it seems to me that it's crapped out on me sooner than it should have, so I'll keep better tabs on this one (if for no reason other than documentation).

artie505 #48697 04/27/18 08:11 PM

If an enclosure fails before the drive that would seem highly unusual to me. You might contact OWC and at least tell them about the failure. If you don't remember when you purchased it, if you have an account you can look it up.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48699 04/28/18 08:14 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
If an enclosure fails before the drive that would seem highly unusual to me.

That sounds reasonable as respects a HDD, because its moving parts and coated platters guarantee that it will fail sooner or later, while a SSD may never fail, leaving the enclosure's components and assembly the weak links in that, i.e. my, configuration.

I located my purchase date (good idea, thanks), and since I bought the enclosure (1 year warrantee empty...3 years with any drive inside) almost 3 1/2 years ago and installed the SSD (10 year warrantee) a year later, it's not at all surprising for the enclosure to have failed first (and presumably within OWC's more or less expected time frame).

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard