FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Printing problem
#42535 11/04/16 05:24 PM
Rain Offline OP
OP Offline

I have been trying to print some photos today. When I ma in the final print dialogue box I try to select 'Printer settings' but each time I do it crashes the application.
I have tried printing from PS Elements, IPhoto, Appeture and Word, it happens with all of them. Other print options seem to be ok.
I'm using a MBPro with OS10.12.1
Any thoughts?

Edited by Rain (11/04/16 02:26 PM) ET

Last edited by cyn; 11/05/16 05:14 PM. Reason: Topic moved from the "Mac OS X System" forum to the "Peripherals" forum.
Re: Printing problem
Rain #42536 11/04/16 06:35 PM

Check out What Sierra Broke, How to Fix It & Where to File Bug Reports. There's a section about printing issues.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #42550 11/05/16 08:43 AM
Rain Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the heads up, nothing specific in there, but I will keep searching. Interestingly the latest set os OS updates did include 'Brother printers' (I use one), I've had significant problems with it when trying to print wi-fi, Brother tech support told me it was an issue with the 'bonjour environment' which my ISP should sort out.
Anyway I have had a long multi-connected USB lead across my office floor since then.

Rain #42553 11/05/16 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Rain
...(I use one), I've had significant problems with it when trying to print wi-fi, Brother tech support told me it was an issue with the 'bonjour environment' which my ISP should sort out….
confused Bonjour is Apple's name for a zero configuration network technology that works ONLY on your LOCAL AREA NETWORK and should have nothing to do with your ISP unless your ISP provides your wireless router and has configured it to block internal LAN traffic. Additionally Brother printers can be configured to actually log on to your LAN in which case Bonjour does not even come into play. Having spent a couple of years training tech support people for Microsoft, that statement sounds suspiciously like the tech is saying sotto voce , "I have no idea what this problem is, or how to fix it, and I have to take six more calls this hour to meet my quota so I will throw out some jargon excuse and pass the issue off to someone else."

You may have a unique situation and your ISP may be somehow involved, but your ISP and Bonjour — I think not. I have had a preference for Brother printers for several years now because they have proven to be very Apple compatible and reliable. Right now I have an MFC-J4710DW multi-function device and a QL-710W Label Printer working wirelessly with two Mac minis running Sierra, one Mac mini running Yosemite, two iPads and two iPhones all running iOS 10.1 or 10.2 with zero printing problems.

However, my wife did have a problem printing photos to an elderly Canon through a wireless Bonjour connection after she installed Sierra. The solution was relatively easy...
  1. Reset the print system
    1. Go to System Preferences âž­ Printers & Scanners
    2. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list of printers in the left pane of the window, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears
    3. After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.
  2. Re-Add all your printers (NOTE: try disconnecting your Brother before you re-add it and try for a Bonjour connection. It should work!)

If you are still having problems with the wireless printer connection, post back with complete details and hopefully we can get that working without a printer cable running across the floor.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42669 11/09/16 11:05 AM
Rain Offline OP
OP Offline

I have reinstalled everything as suggested and also updated the drivers.
Currently all seems ok.......... the long lead has been put away!
Thanks for the advice

Rain #42678 11/09/16 03:46 PM

👍 Glad it worked.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard