for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mouse and keyboard sync?
#33457 03/16/15 03:35 PM
OP Offline

"Ever since we got the new computer, we haven't been able to get the old mouse & keyboard to sync to the old computer...they keep trying to sync up to the new one."

How does this person solve this problem? Both computers are iMacs, The 'old computer' is running 10.5 and the 'new computer' was bought last week. They cannot even turn the bluetooth on and off on the older iMac because they do not have a corded mouse.

Re: Mouse and keyboard sync?
slolerner #33460 03/16/15 06:08 PM

turn OFF the new computer, old computer, and keyboard/mouse.

turn ON the keyboard/mouse and wait until they "hunt" (flash their light)

turn ON the old computer

you may have to go through the setup process again.

once you get them paired, leave that all on, and boot up the new computer. go into bluetooth prefs and make sure they are not listed as paired. if they are, delete them and reboot.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #33464 03/16/15 11:26 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, V1. Waiting to hear back from them...

slolerner #33466 03/17/15 06:41 PM
OP Offline

This is really weird. Computer has a bluetooth file in system preferences folder inside library folder in the computer's system folder, but there is no bluetooth system pref showing up when you launch system preferences. When I click on the system library's bluetooth icon it says "Bluetooth is not available at this time. You may need to connect a Bluetooth devise." But I restarted several times, wireless keyboard and mouse blinking, but they do not connect. The only thing connected to it now is an old wireless mouse, so I can't zap the PRAM. Hard Drive Utility shows no problems. Weird. Can't sign in as a different user, no keyboard. Checked for software updates, only EFI updates.

slolerner #33469 03/18/15 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
This is really weird. Computer has a bluetooth file in system preferences folder inside library folder in the computer's system folder, but there is no bluetooth system pref showing up when you launch system preferences. When I click on the system library's bluetooth icon it says "Bluetooth is not available at this time. You may need to connect a Bluetooth devise."

Sounds like your bluetooth hardware has failed

fortunately it's a discrete part to replace

Virtual1 #33475 03/18/15 07:21 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. What do I buy and where? The model identifier is iMac5,2

slolerner #33477 03/18/15 07:29 PM

I was never too current with the "model / family" IDs that Apple sometimes uses. Either way, you'll probably need to give Apple a call, call your local Genuis Bar, or visit a local Apple Authorized Sales/Service provider in your area. They should be able to replace the card. (free if under warranty still) Otherwise the card probably is under $100, tho hard to say what they'll charge you for labor. (all assuming my diagnosis was correct)

slolerner #33479 03/18/15 09:28 PM

MacTracker does not list an iMac 5,2 but according to them the iMac 5,1 (late 2006) does have builtin bluetooth 2.0 + EDR. As V1 said, it may be the bluetooth module has failed. If the model number is correct, it is officially obsolete, so it will not be supported by Apple or the Genius Desk. You will need to find a third party and parts will be difficult to come by.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #33480 03/18/15 09:43 PM

There was a 17-inch Late 2006 CD iMac5,2 (Edit: Vintage) that did not come with Bluetooth.

Last edited by artie505; 03/18/15 09:45 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #33481 03/19/15 01:35 AM
OP Offline

Artie, I guess you mean 'vintage' in a bad way. Anyway, according to the serial number, it's an early 2006 iMac:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP35?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Apple Sez:
• Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module

I don't understand why it was all working fine until big bad new iMac came along. I did have someone move the wireless keyboard and mouse it was using back to where the new iMac is, and they are not linked to the new iMac's Bluetooth. It may just 'come back' when I wipe the drive and install a new system for the kiddies. Just gotta get a copy of the drive over to a partition of the new TM drive for the new computer, as per this string:

http://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&topic=4991

slolerner #33482 03/19/15 06:22 AM

> Anyway, according to the serial number, it's an early 2006 iMac:

That's odd... According to Mactracker, the 17 & 20" Early 2006 iMacs are iMac4.1, not iMac5.2.

Anyway, what has happened is beyond my ability to even guess at.

Edit: "Vintage" is Apple's classification; parts may be difficult to come by if needed.

Have you tried totally powering down, i.e. taking the batteries out of, the keyboard and mouse and starting from scratch?

And have you looked to see what System Profiler has to say about Bluetooth?

Last edited by artie505; 03/19/15 05:41 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
slolerner #33483 03/19/15 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
I don't understand why it was all working fine until big bad new iMac came along.

One day farmer Brown's horse died, to which he said, "Well, he's never done that before!"

All things eventually come to an end. Sometimes their timing coincides, entirely by chance, with other nearby events. The two do not have to be related in any way.

Virtual1 #33484 03/19/15 01:06 PM
OP Offline

"When you live your life with an appreciation of coincidences and their meanings, you connect with the underlying field of infinite possibilities. This is when the magic begins. This is a state I call synchrodestiny, in which it becomes possible to achieve the spontaneous fulfillment of our every desire. Synchrodestiny requires gaining access to a place deep within yourself, while at the same time awakening to the intricate dance of coincidences out in the physical world."
- Deepak Chopra

A 2006 iMac has rocked my world.

slolerner #33540 03/24/15 11:20 PM
OP Offline

Ok, it goes like this:

The Serial Number and Model Identifier do not match. Apple's database is screwed up. Artie was right, the iMac 5,2 did not have built in Bluetooth. This iMac had a small USB Bluetooth adapter in the back that is now missing, but I think I know where to find it...

Last edited by slolerner; 03/24/15 11:22 PM. Reason: clarity

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard