FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Inkjet cartridge chips
#32071 12/12/14 01:03 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

How does the chip on an inkjet cartridge work? Does it function only once, or does it reset when used a second time? For example, after refilling the cartridge.

I ask as I use non-Canon "chipped" cartridges purchased on-line. When they're empty I recycle the plastic containers. However, there is a local business that refills empty cartridges and I'm thinking I should support the local business.

If they refill one of my chipped cartridges, what's its status when it goes back into the printer?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Inkjet cartridge chips
ryck #32072 12/12/14 02:26 PM

The chips are there specifically to try to prevent you from refilling them or buying a generic brand of cartridge.

Their basic design is to track ink usage, since a "ink level detector" isn't really a practical thing in such a small cartridge. They track ink used (in each color) as well as number of hours used. They communicate with the computer to send this information, but they also store it on the cartridge itself. The carts have their own unique serial number so the computer can tell them apart when you change them.

The darker side is they often have an encrypted or signed communications, and the printer drivers on the computer or the hardware in the printer will refuse to run unless the cart has "the right password" so to speak. This can force you to have to buy from the manufacturer ("HP genuine cartridge has been installed") and will also prevent you from refilling them. (because adding more ink doesn't reset the ink level the cart thinks it has, it still tells the computer "I'm empty" even after you've refilled it)

It's no surprise they do this - it's a well-established fact that printer ink costs more than gold, by the ounce, when sold under a name brand. The manufacturers sell the printers at cost or even at a small loss, and make up their margin by placing huge mark-up on the ink, which they try to force you to buy from them. Some of you may recognize this as "The Razor Blade Game". I'm having a little difficulty finding a good article on it ATM, but it refers to the market that invented the practice. They would sell you a razor cheaply or below cost, and then heavily mark up the cost of the replacement blades to make their money. Then generics started making cheap replacement blades and that got their knickers in a twist.

There are numerous examples of printer manufacturers taking legal action against generic ink cart makers and makers of ink refilling kits, who are trying to trick the printer into taking their cart or resetting the ink levels after a refill. They typically invoke the broad terms of the DMCA laws, basically accusing the generics of "illegal hacking", in an attempt to close down the generic's business. Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. I'm not sure what the current legal trend is in this arena.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
ryck #32075 12/12/14 03:28 PM

I have read that generic cartridges and generic inks can cause problems, ranging from inaccurate colors to clogging the jets. That's the reason that I'm willing to pay the price for Epson inks. Even if clogging were not a concern, I'm very fussy about the colors in my photos and I have been totally pleased with Epson ink.

My 2¢.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #32078 12/12/14 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I have read that generic cartridges and generic inks can cause problems, ranging from inaccurate colors to clogging the jets. That's the reason that I'm willing to pay the price for Epson inks. Even if clogging were not a concern, I'm very fussy about the colors in my photos and I have been totally pleased with Epson ink.

My 2¢.

I see a strong chance of FUD being spread by the brand names in ink, for exactly that reason.

I know several people that refill and many that use generics, and no one has had any serious problems, and all of them overall have saved big money. If you do a lot of printing, you should seriously consider it.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #32086 12/13/14 03:18 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
The chips are there specifically to try to prevent you from refilling them or buying a generic brand of cartridge.

So I need I can't refill the chipped cartridges….oh well, I can't support the local ink filler as I used to do with non-chip cartridges.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #32087 12/13/14 03:26 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I have read that generic cartridges and generic inks can cause problems, ranging from inaccurate colors to clogging the jets.

After years of using generic ink cartridges, with more than one printer maker, I can report that I have never had any of the issues that the printer manufacturers caution against.

Even if clogging were not a concern, I'm very fussy about the colors in my photos and I have been totally pleased with Epson ink.

I have never had reason to think the generics were any less true than brand-name inks, however the bulk of my printing has had less stringent requirements than photographic.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #32094 12/13/14 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
[I have never had reason to think the generics were any less true than brand-name inks, however the bulk of my printing has had less stringent requirements than photographic.

That's been pretty much my experience with a Stratitec ink refill kit I used some years ago with an HP inkjet printer. This worked fine, producing prints for a fraction of the HP price, but I noticed that the refill ink bled slightly more than the HP variety. That was no problem for most prints, only for the few that needed to look really good. For those I used an original, unrefilled HP cartridge.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32120 12/15/14 04:20 PM

Jon's original post above was in reference to an Epson printer. The other posts are about HP and Canon printers. In my experience Epson-branded inks are different. They are water resistant, smear proof right off the bat on the printed page. I have not found a generic Epson ink that can do that.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #32123 12/15/14 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Jon's original post above was in reference to an Epson printer. The other posts are about HP and Canon printers. In my experience Epson-branded inks are different. They are water resistant, smear proof right off the bat on the printed page. I have not found a generic Epson ink that can do that.
My first Epson printer used dye-based inks, which were not water resistant. My current Epson uses pigment-based inks which are not only water resistant and smear proof, but they don't fade (at least I haven't seen any fading over several years). The former inks faded after about a year. The color accuracy with Epson paper is outstanding.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Ira L #32147 12/16/14 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Jon's original post above was in reference to an Epson printer. The other posts are about HP and Canon printers.

Your comment is appreciated, and supports the notion that generic inks may not be fully comparable to branded products, even though that may only be an issue with a fraction of print jobs. Certainly in cases where cost is an issue, generics have a place, provided they offer at least minimum standards, however defined by the end user.

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard