for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HDMI with AUDIO? maaaybe?
#9638 04/22/10 06:22 PM
OP Offline

MacSales aka OtherWorld Computing, sells mini-displayport to HDMI adapters along with quite a few others (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/CBLMDPHDMI/)

However, up to now there's always been the issue that the displayport doesn't send audio, so you have to kludge your headphone port etc to your sound system to get audio.

However, I just got their newsletter today and it says:

Apple has now added audio support!
You can now get audio capablity over Mini DisplayPort to HDMI with Apple's latest firmware update for Late 2009 iMacs and mid 2010 MacBook Pros.

I called Apple's sales number, and got passed around like a live hand grenade until I wound up talking with I believe an engineer, who didn't know for sure either. 10 minutes on hold later, he came back and verified there were MANY discussion threads all over the place discussing this news, but he couldn't find a single memo inside Apple regarding it. I found it strange that apple sales were not aware of an obviously nice new feature in the new shipping models, I would have expected Apple to keep its sales staff briefed on the new sales points.

So.... has anyone tried it? I ran software update on the 21 and 27" imacs here, and there was a firmware update available for the 27, but it didn't say anything about video or audio.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: HDMI with AUDIO? maaaybe?
Virtual1 #9641 04/22/10 11:23 PM

From c|net: New MacBook Pro plays nicer with TVs

Though, one skeptic i've run across wonders:
Quote:
. . . if 8 channel 24-bit 96 KHz and the lossless 7.1 compressed formats are supported

I.e, "stereo" works -- but can it properly process multi-channel (HDMI 1.3a) audio. [?]

PS: not all dongles are created equal.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04/22/10 11:31 PM.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard