FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mighty Mouse alternative
#7129 12/30/09 11:30 AM
OP Offline

Here's another easy question:

The Mac Mighty Mouse is great but as everyone knows the scrolling ball gets stuck after a couple of months. Eventually after cleaning it several times it's not worth trying any more.

I can source more Mighty Mice from Amazon, but they're quite pricey.

What's the best alternative?

What I'd like is:

Wired
Scrolling ball (preferably 360 degrees scroll not just up+down)
USB keyboard Plug and play - no software required!
Obviously Mac compatible (Tiger)
Less expensive than Mighty Mice (currently priced ~£25 or so)

I'll buy four if they do all that. Don't care about the colour.

Thanks!

Re: Mighty Mouse alternative
Bensheim #7130 12/30/09 01:00 PM

Thanks to Joemikeb, I have learned how to successfully clean the track ball of my Mighty Mouse. It needs cleaning every few weeks (a bit of a PITA but not terrible). I take a lint-free cloth and moisten it with rubbing alcohol. Then, I turn the mouse upside down and turn the scroll wheel with the moistened section of the cloth. I make sure that I turn it in all directions while pushing it in with my fingernail. Then, I wait about an hour or so to let the alcohol fully dissolve any gunk that was inside. JMB had suggested a different solvent but I find that alcohol works fine for me.

Give it a shot. It may solve your problem and then you can keep the mouse.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Bensheim #7138 12/30/09 03:05 PM

You might try Apple's new Magic Mouse. It is wireless and touch sensitive instead of using a scroll ball. In addition to vertical and horizontal scrolling, Alessandro Levi Montalcini, the developer of USB Overdrive is working on a driver that will enable some of the same "gestures" on the Magic Mouse that are used on the iPhone.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #7151 12/30/09 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
You might try Apple's new Magic Mouse...
That one needs OS 10.5.8 or later. No chance with Tiger.

_Mike_ #7160 12/31/09 12:01 AM

Oops I forgot Bensheim is using Tiger. blush Thanks for catching my faux pas.

— Albert Einstein
Bensheim #7214 01/02/10 07:46 PM

I think apple has the market on horizontal scroll balls. Anyone else seen any alternative?

and I'm STILL looking for a way to disable horizontal scrolling while leaving vertical scrolling enabled, on my mbp. (10.5)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #7244 01/03/10 10:21 PM
OP Offline

I bought a Logitech laser mouse from the local computer shop, just to get that issue dealt with and out of the way.

I then found out that AppleWorks doesn't support scrolling mice but what the hey, it scrolls in every other app.

<rolls eyes>

Bensheim #7245 01/03/10 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
I then found out that AppleWorks doesn't support scrolling mice but what the hey, it scrolls in every other app.

Appleworks is an older carbon (procedural) code base and support for such things as scroll wheels/balls has to be specifically written into the code. The Appleworks code preceded those devices and therefore does not support them.

Many, perhaps most, carbon apps on OS X have been modified to provide support at least for vertical scrolling if not vertical and horizontal. Virtually all Apple's OS X apps have been written using the Cocoa (object oriented) programming environment so that when the Cocoa libraries are updated to support new technologies such as horizontal and vertical scrolling, all Cocoa apps automatically inherit the added functionality.

One more reason for you to begin and/or complete the migration from Appleworks to iWork or other Cocoa applications. (FYI NeoOffice is a Java application (another object oriented environment) but it is in a Cocoa wrapper so it too inherits many, if not all, of the features in the cocoa environment.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard