FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Printer Head Cleaning Fluids
#49145 06/20/18 10:46 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Has anyone tried any of these different fluids for cleaning print heads? My older Canon Pixma MX712 (which has never had a head cleaning service) is giving spotty results. The test pages following various head cleaning operations, built into the printer function, are also hit and miss.

I have done a head cleaning with warm water but that didn't improve things, so I'm wondering about the wisdom of using a specific fluid.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Printer Head Cleaning Fluids
ryck #49146 06/21/18 01:18 AM

I ran into what I diagnosed as a clogged print head on a Canon Pixma a couple of months ago. After extensive troubleshooting, innumerable head cleanings, and three print cartridges, it turned out the problem was not the print head at all, but the bargain cheap print cartridges I got from Amazon. Switching back to genuine Canon cartridges solved the "clogged print head" instantly.

While I was researching a fix, the only Canon approved head cleaning technique I found was using the Canon print utility or replacing the print head. Replacing the print head on a Canon is easy, the trick is finding a replacement print head particularly if your Pixma is long out of production. You might give Canon tech support a call, I have found them to be knowledgeable and very willing to help.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #49150 06/21/18 04:11 PM

Not to discount the above good advice, but I have found that sometimes when the test pages print spottily, if I ignore that and just continue with my regular normal printing jobs, the output is good, no spottiness. Worth taking a look. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #49159 06/23/18 07:49 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I ran into what I diagnosed as a clogged print head on a Canon Pixma a couple of months ago. After extensive troubleshooting, innumerable head cleanings, and three print cartridges, it turned out the problem was not the print head at all, but the bargain cheap print cartridges I got from Amazon. Switching back to genuine Canon cartridges solved the "clogged print head" instantly.

I have never used Canon cartridges since the originals ran out, although mine aren’t quite as “bargain” as the Amazon cartridges. I’ve done a few more cleaning operations, including a couple of deep cleans, and am now getting a reasonable test print page.

Why do you think the set of the Canons set things straight on your printer? Would Canon have some sort of ‘secret ingredient’ that provides a flushing action? I wonder because you had immediate results.

I checked the purchase date on some of my spares and found they went back as far as Feb 2017. Maybe that is a contributing factor.

I also wonder if the fact that my printing needs have changed is affecting things. The bulk of my printing (and it’s not a lot) is black only. Maybe I should get in the habit of running a cleaning operation periodically just to keep fresh ink running through the heads.

Last edited by ryck; 06/23/18 07:54 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Ira L #49160 06/23/18 07:52 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
…I have found that sometimes when the test pages print spottily, if I ignore that and just continue with my regular normal printing jobs, the output is good, no spottiness.

Maybe my multiple cleaning operations (above) are the same as your pressing on in spite of periodic spottiness - particularly if you do more colour printing than me.

Are you using your printer manufacturer's cartridges, or an alternate?

Last edited by ryck; 06/23/18 08:00 AM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #49161 06/23/18 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
…I have found that sometimes when the test pages print spottily, if I ignore that and just continue with my regular normal printing jobs, the output is good, no spottiness.

Maybe my multiple cleaning operations (above) are the same as your pressing on in spite of periodic spottiness - particularly if you do more colour printing than me.

Good point, but I have had a situation where I could never get a clean, solid test page, yet normal printing was OK.

I use the manufacturer's cartridges, but I am also using Epson printers. I like their ink for its instant dry, no smear qualities.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
ryck #49162 06/23/18 04:18 PM

Re: " . . . Maybe I should get in the habit of running a cleaning operation periodically just to keep fresh ink running through the heads."

---------------

I would do that once in a while. May not solve the issue, but it certainly shouldn't add to the problem.

Many thanks,
MG2009
ryck #49163 06/23/18 05:20 PM

Why do you think the set of the Canons set things straight on your printer? Would Canon have some sort of ‘secret ingredient’ that provides a flushing action? I wonder because you had immediate results.

I also wonder if the fact that my printing needs have changed is affecting things. The bulk of my printing (and it’s not a lot) is black only. Maybe I should get in the habit of running a cleaning operation periodically just to keep fresh ink running through the heads.

I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The print output was neither spotty or light, it was non-existent. My print problem had absolutely nothing to do with the print head and everything to do with the bargain useless ink cartridges. While I didn't test every cartridge in the box at least the first four did not work. That is when I went back to the more expensive Canon cartridge. My point is: be sure you know what the problem is — it could be the print head or it can just as easily be the ink cartridge.

Years ago I heard a rule of thumb that held never use an ink cartridge that is over 1 year old. I still keep reasonably close to that standard. That means I almost never buy ink in bulk and only buy one replacement when I install one.

I don't know about your Pixma, but my IP110 and it predecessor automatically run a head cleaning routine before printing any time it has been idle for more than a few hours so periodically running the head cleaning routines would only be called for, when print problems are noticed.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #49164 06/23/18 10:11 PM

I don't know if this is at all applicable, but it's worth mentioning that when my Canon imageCLASS LBP6000 laser printer began printing blurry background lines, tech support advised me the give the toner cartridge a good shaking, and while it didn't cure the problem, it did lessen it significantly.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49168 06/24/18 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I don't know if this is at all applicable, but it's worth mentioning that when my Canon imageCLASS LBP6000 laser printer began printing blurry background lines, tech support advised me the give the toner cartridge a good shaking, and while it didn't cure the problem, it did lessen it significantly.

That's one reason why I never opted for an ink printer.
With my Lexmark E120 laser printer, even when the warning light for low toner comes on, I rarely have such issues. When I do, however, shaking the cartridge or whacking it gently on one corner or another a few times, combined with gently cleaning the roller — Don't do that anywhere near anything you value! It's worse than glitter. — and voilà another couple hundred blemish-free copies before it needs doing again. That can be repeated until the printing becomes noticeably defective.

grelber #49170 06/24/18 12:35 AM

I bought off-brand ink cartridges for my old Lexmark inkjet printer, and I figured out that when they stopped performing as expected I could nuke them for a second or two - ONLY ONE SECOND AT A TIME OR YOU'LL GET SPARKING - and that, combined with some warm water did a good job of resurrecting them.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #49202 06/25/18 03:07 PM

To include another data point in my "carry on" theory—I was just working with an Epson printer that had zero cyan (blue) ink. I put in a new blue and printed a test page. All the colors showed fine, but the black test pattern was non-existent. I did a head cleaning (two in fact) and each time the black was not present. Remembering the helpful posts by me in this forum smirk I printed an e-mail with text and color and, lo and behold, crisp blacks, sparkling colors and appropriate grays. Go figure. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
MG2009 #49203 06/25/18 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
Re: " . . . Maybe I should get in the habit of running a cleaning operation periodically just to keep fresh ink running through the heads."

---------------

I would do that once in a while. May not solve the issue, but it certainly shouldn't add to the problem.

The downside to head cleaning is that in some printers the process consumes ink, and faster than regular printing. If you print regularly, and not just black and white, and don't run your cartridges to bone dry, head cleaning on a regular basis should not be necessary.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #49208 06/25/18 04:21 PM

To include another data point in my "carry on" theory—I was just working with an Epson printer that had zero cyan (blue) ink. I put in a new blue and printed a test page. All the colors showed fine, but the black test pattern was non-existent. I did a head cleaning (two in fact) and each time the black was not present. Remembering the helpful posts by me in this forum smirk I printed an e-mail with text and color and, lo and behold, crisp blacks, sparkling colors and appropriate grays. Go figure. crazy

I have seen similar results, but then I remember when color printers were using Red Green Blue color and had no black cartridge at all yet they produced crisp blacks, sparkling colors, and appropriate greys. When manufacturers introduced the black cartridge there was a lot made about the new ability print “TRUE Black”. The “true black” was/is almost unnoticeable to most users unless the print is on very good paper and compared side by side with the old RGB black. Of course printers have mostly evolved from RGB to CMYK (and on some high end printers CMYK+BK with 5 cartridges), but when printing in color, it appears the same technique is still used of printing black and grey with CMY (or RGB) and reinforcing the darkest blacks with Black. As far as I can tell the only time the Black cartridge is used alone is if Black and White printing is selected in the print dialogue.

Next time you encounter a similar situation, you might try selecting Black and White in the print dialogue and I suspect you will get a blank, or nearly blank, printout.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49223 06/26/18 02:04 PM

I have seen similar results, but then I remember when color printers were using Red Green Blue color and had no black cartridge at all yet they produced crisp blacks, sparkling colors, and appropriate greys. When manufacturers introduced the black cartridge there was a lot made about the new ability print “TRUE Black”. The “true black” was/is almost unnoticeable to most users unless the print is on very good paper and compared side by side with the old RGB black. Of course printers have mostly evolved from RGB to CMYK (and on some high end printers CMYK+BK with 5 cartridges), but when printing in color, it appears the same technique is still used of printing black and grey with CMY (or RGB) and reinforcing the darkest blacks with Black. As far as I can tell the only time the Black cartridge is used alone is if Black and White printing is selected in the print dialogue.

Next time you encounter a similar situation, you might try selecting Black and White in the print dialogue and I suspect you will get a blank, or nearly blank, printout.

Ahh, very interesting. I will check it out next time, although it is an infrequent occurrence.

On a Mac since 1984.
joemikeb #49593 07/28/18 03:01 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

After extensive troubleshooting, innumerable head cleanings, and three print cartridges, it turned out the problem was not the print head at all, but the bargain cheap print cartridges I got from Amazon. Switching back to genuine Canon cartridges solved the "clogged print head" instantly.

After a bunch of testing, trying, et cetera. My printer returned to inconsistent results. Black printing was fine but colour was ‘iffy’ at best. So….I purchased a full set of Canon cartridges (the first time I ever heard my credit card say “Ouch”) and popped them in. I did a cleaning and the printer produced a flawless Test Print page.

I don't know about your Pixma, but my IP110 and it predecessor automatically run a head cleaning routine before printing any time it has been idle for more than a few hours so periodically running the head cleaning routines would only be called for, when print problems are noticed.

That sounds like a lot of ink consumption so I may do a cleaning once in a while or, barring that, periodically print the Test Print page to ensure that all colours flow through the print head and prevent drying up.

I have never used Canon cartridges since the originals ran out, although mine aren’t quite as “bargain” as the Amazon cartridges.

I’m going to assume that I can go back to my non-Canon cartridges once this set of Canons has got to empty. My printer was bought in 2012 so I figure, if it takes that long for the printer to react, I’ll be ready for a new one by 2024 anyway.

Last edited by ryck; 07/28/18 03:04 PM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #49594 07/28/18 09:10 PM

That sounds like a lot of ink consumption so I may do a cleaning once in a while or, barring that, periodically print the Test Print page to ensure that all colours flow through the print head and prevent drying up.

On my current and previous Pixma printers there was no way to prevent the automatic routine head cleaning. However, that uses a small fraction of the ink used by either the cleaning or deep cleaning routines accessed through System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > Utility > Printer Utility. FWIW virtually all inkjet printers go through a similar automatic routine head cleaning when they have been unused for more than a few hours. IMHO periodically printing a test page is unnecessary and not cost effective.

I’m going to assume that I can go back to my non-Canon cartridges once this set of Canons has got to empty. My printer was bought in 2012 so I figure, if it takes that long for the printer to react, I’ll be ready for a new one by 2024 anyway.

In my case, I am convinced the print heads were never clogged, it was the cheap print cartridges that were either clogged or were not responding to the signal from the printer to eject the ink. Whether that was an electrical, mechanical, or chemical failure, I do not know. What I do know is: given the failure rate of the cheap cartridges, the expensive Canon cartridges cost very little more and maybe less per page of printed output.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/29/18 05:24 PM. Reason: grammar

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard