for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Charging cable for iPhone 5s
#45468 06/30/17 03:28 AM
OP Offline

I have an iPhone 5s that looks like it has what is called a standard micro charging cable. It works.

A few weeks ago I bought a wireless speaker and it also has what looks like a standard micro cable, but they are not interchangeable. The cable for the speaker isn't working very well and I want to replace it. But, I don't know what to get. I contacted the seller and they said it is a standard micro usb v 2.0 cable.

Are these the same things? If so, I'm confused since I cannot swap them out.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Charging cable for iPhone 5s
plantsower #45469 06/30/17 05:25 AM

In the Box

iPhone 5s
Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic
Lightning to USB Cable
5W USB Power Adapter (Emphasis added)

If I've got it right, your two cables aren't interchangeable because the one that came with your iPhone 5s is USB to Lightning, NOT USB to micro USB.

You should be able to get a new USB to micro USB cable almost anywhere. (I can get one, albeit not a very high quality one, at my corner candy store.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45475 06/30/17 03:27 PM
OP Offline

OK, I understand now. That shows how much I know about cables. The phone was given to me and I did try to look up what kind of cable 5s phones have but I must have assumed micro and lightening are the same thing since they look very simlar. Yikes!

Anyway, now I know what to get. Thanks. Though I think the seller of the speaker should have made good on it. I only bought it in April! He only told me where I could get another cable. Nice!

Originally Posted By: artie505
In the Box

iPhone 5s
Lightning to USB Cable

If I've got it right, your two cables aren't interchangeable because the one that came with your iPhone 5s is USB to Lightning, NOT USB to micro USB.

You should be able to get a new USB to micro USB cable almost anywhere. (I can get one, albeit not a very high quality one, at my corner candy store.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #45481 06/30/17 05:21 PM
OP Offline

Another question. When looking at the cables on Amazon, some have a letter A, some a letter B, etc. Does it matter? They are also mentioning male and female. I thought it was all pretty standard.

Also, the symptoms of this connection problem are that the cable only charges from my new MBP at this point, and the cable has to be placed carefully in a certain position or I don't get a connection. Does that mean it's absolutely the cable or could it be a connection problem with the unit itself? What's the most likely scenario?

In the Box

iPhone 5s
Lightning to USB Cable

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45483 06/30/17 06:09 PM
OP Offline

I did a little further checking and I believe it's a micro B that goes into the device.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45493 07/01/17 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I did a little further checking and I believe it's a micro B that goes into the device.

The differences between the various types of cables is pretty obvious.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #45494 07/01/17 05:18 AM

Also, the symptoms of this connection problem are that the cable only charges from my new MBP at this point, and the cable has to be placed carefully in a certain position or I don't get a connection. Does that mean it's absolutely the cable or could it be a connection problem with the unit itself? What's the most likely scenario?

The most likely scenario is that it's either one or the other...or something else altogether. tongue

Your external HDD connects via USB; try it in all of your USB ports and see how/if it works.

(What, exactly does "the cable only charges from my new MBP" mean?)

artie505 #45501 07/01/17 03:15 PM
OP Offline

Thank you. Yes, it's a micro B to USB cable.

The differences between the various types of cables is pretty obvious.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #45502 07/01/17 03:19 PM
OP Offline

It means I can't get the speaker to charge in any other usb port other than on my new MBP. I tried it in the old one and I tried it in two other external chargers. It used to charge in one of those chargers but won't any longer. My iPhone charges just fine everywhere except

(What, exactly does "the cable only charges from my new MBP" mean?) [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45508 07/01/17 09:14 PM

It means I can't get the speaker to charge in any other usb port other than on my new MBP. I tried it in the old one and I tried it in two other external chargers. It used to charge in one of those chargers but won't any longer. My iPhone charges just fine everywhere except

When I combine all of that with

Quote:
...the cable only charges from my new MBP at this point, and the cable has to be placed carefully in a certain position or I don't get a connection.

I get...a headache. tongue

Yeah, a new cable would be the first thing I'd try, but I wonder why the problem isn't consistent from device to device?

Your "iPhone charges just fine everywhere except..."

Except where?

artie505 #45509 07/01/17 09:51 PM
OP Offline

OK, this is the 4th time I have tried to answer you but Safari keeps freezing!!!

I must have stopped in the middle of the sentence with that "Except" part. The clear it up, my iPhone works on all USB ports in the house including computers and external hubs. My speaker charger ( usb to micro) only works on the new MBP though it used to work on certain ports in my external hub. I know that sounds crazy but that's the way it is.

quote=artie505]

Quote:
...the cable only charges from my new MBP at this point, and the cable has to be placed carefully in a certain position or I don't get a connection.

Yeah, a new cable would be the first thing I'd try, but I wonder why the problem isn't consistent from device to device?

Except where? [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45510 07/01/17 09:55 PM
OP Offline

This is what I am looking at now. I know it may be overkill but I am thinking of the future and having to use less cable, also. Nomad

OK, this is the 4th time I have tried to answer you but Safari keeps freezing!!!

I must have stopped in the middle of the sentence with that "Except" part. The clear it up, my iPhone works on all USB ports in the house including computers and external hubs. My speaker charger ( usb to micro) only works on the new MBP though it used to work on certain ports in my external hub. I know that sounds crazy but that's the way it is.

quote=artie505]

Quote:

Except where? [/quote] [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45512 07/01/17 10:21 PM

...my iPhone works on all USB ports in the house including computers and external hubs. My speaker charger ( usb to micro) only works on the new MBP though it used to work on certain ports in my external hub. I know that sounds crazy but that's the way it is.

It's a good thing you've got a good sense of humor. Considering the sum total of all the threads you've got and had going recently it's a wonder that you haven't thrown your iBook through a window long ago. grin

All considered, the cable sure sounds like your culprit.

artie505 #45513 07/01/17 10:53 PM
OP Offline

I hope you're right about the cable. I ordered one similar to what I showed you but cheaped out and got a cheaper one on ebay.

Oops, Pizza is ready. Gotta go!!

...my iPhone works on all USB ports in the house including computers and external hubs. My speaker charger ( usb to micro) only works on the new MBP though it used to work on certain ports in my external hub. I know that sounds crazy but that's the way it is.

It's a good thing you've got a good sense of humor; considering the sum total of all the threads you've got and had going recently it's a wonder that you haven't thrown your iBook through a window long ago. grin

All considered, the cable sure sounds like your culprit.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45514 07/01/17 11:31 PM

This is what I am looking at now. I know it may be overkill but I am thinking of the future and having to use less cable, also. Nomad

At 5' and $35 without shipping it's awfully long and pricey, and it wouldn't even give you the ethernet connectability you need at the moment.

I'd stick with individual cables, particularly since I use only 18" jobs.

Rats! I thought I had the answer to your problem, but I just went looking for my ethernet to USB cable and realized that I tossed it when my Fios router added two new networks to my configuration and I decided that I no longer needed it.

For your immediate and possible future needs, something like this USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter seems like it would be a good fit in your toolbox.

More: We crossed in the mail.

Last edited by artie505; 07/01/17 11:45 PM. Reason: Rewrite

plantsower #45515 07/01/17 11:44 PM

The reason your quotes don't show up as expected is you omit the leading [ ...as in quote=artie505] s/b [quote=artie505]

plantsower #45516 07/01/17 11:44 PM

Two things,
  1. with lightening cables you generally get what you paid for and cheap is just that — cheap. Look for lightning cables that are Apple MFI certified. They may cost a bit more but I have found them to be worth the extra cost.
  2. I have had good service from "2 in 1" lightning/USB b cables that have USB A on one end and a USB b connector with a lightning adaptor on the other, like this or this. Personally I prefer braided cables like this. They are a bit stiffer and don't coil up quite as small but I have found them to be tougher and longer lived.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45518 07/02/17 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Two things,
  1. with lightening cables you generally get what you paid for and cheap is just that — cheap. Look for lightning cables that are Apple MFI certified. They may cost a bit more but I have found them to be worth the extra cost.

I'll qualify that with a "purpose" caveat that works for me.

Were I buying a cable or other device for frequent or permanent use I'd certainly go the quality route, but for one shot items, cheap has always worked just fine, albeit not necessarily as quickly. (Speaking of which, I think I can safely spit in the eye of fate and toss my $4.99 FireWire 400/800 adapter.)

Last edited by artie505; 07/02/17 12:52 AM. Reason: More

artie505 #45520 07/02/17 12:30 AM
OP Offline

I neglected to tell you I bought this when I bought the 3 in 1 cable. Ethernet adapter

At 5' and $35 without shipping it's awfully long and pricey, and it wouldn't even give you the ethernet connectability you need at the moment.

I'd stick with individual cables, particularly since I use only 18" jobs.

Rats! I thought I had the answer to your problem, but I just went looking for my ethernet to USB cable and realized that I tossed it when my Fios router added two new networks to my configuration and I decided that I no longer needed it.

For your immediate and possible future needs, something like this USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter seems like it would be a good fit in your toolbox.

More: We crossed in the mail.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45521 07/02/17 12:32 AM

I neglected to tell you I bought this when I bought the 3 in 1 cable. Ethernet adapter

So we were on the same wavelength. Great! smile

artie505 #45522 07/02/17 12:48 AM
OP Offline

So we were on the same wavelength. Great! smile
cool cool

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard