FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How to resize partitions on external HD
#32484 01/13/15 09:20 AM
OP Offline

The Problem:
My external hard drive will not allow me to repartition the top partition (there are 2 partitions). It is properly formatted for Mac.

I am able to make the lower block bigger, but I can not make the top block larger which is the goal.

Grabbing the resize point and dragging works for the bottom and not for the top where I need to use the extra space. I have tried resizing the smaller partition (successfully) to make the necessary room but the top partition is still giving me the bird. frown

I have also tried changing the numbers manually, at the end of repartitioning the top one defaults back to it's original size,

My computer is a Mid 2011 iMac 21.5" running Mavericks 10.9.5

Last edited by The Dude; 01/13/15 09:26 AM.
Re: How to resize partitions on external HD
The Dude #32486 01/13/15 10:11 AM

Hi, and welcome to FineTunedMac. smile

Originally Posted By: Disk Utility Help
Enlarging a partition

If you have multiple partitions on a disk and one is running out of space, you may be able to enlarge it without losing any of its data.

To enlarge a partition, you must delete the partition that comes after it on the disk, and then move the partition’s end point into the freed space. You can’t enlarge the last partition on a disk. You can see the order of the partitions in Disk Utility by selecting the disk, clicking Partition, and looking at the Volume Scheme list.

All data on the deleted partition will be erased. Be sure to back up your disk’s data before you begin.

Unless there's a 3rd party app that can turn the trick, it doesn't look very good for you. (I dunno... iPartition [$40]?)

You've just posted the precise reason many folks around here shy away from partitioning their disks...because the space you need is always on the other partition. frown

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
The Dude #32487 01/13/15 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Artie505
Unless there's a 3rd party app that can turn the trick, it doesn't look very good for you.

Artie is spot on as far as using Disk Utility goes but if you do find a tool that purports to work remember that in spite of the claims about non-destructive partition resizing wise users will always back up both partitions to another drive(s) before attempting to repartition. No one has repealed Murphy's Law yet and there is always a finite chance for error and so you do risk losing everything on both partitions when you repartition.

Originally Posted By: Artie505
You've just posted the precise reason many folks around here shy away from partitioning their disks…because the space you need is always on the other partition. frown

To piggyback on Artie's comment, if you feel it is essential to keep the contents of the two partitions separate you can do that on a single volume by creating two "Sparse Disk Images" or preferably "Sparse Bundle Disk Images" on the drive (the Sparse Bundle Disk Image is what Time Machine uses and gives better performance when there are a very large number of files). You don't increase the total drive capacity, but the images can expand or contract as needed and you do not have hard limits as you do with partitions.

Last edited by joemikeb; 01/13/15 04:16 PM. Reason: fine tuning

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
The Dude #32488 01/13/15 04:19 PM

I have to agree with Artie and Joe, but to return to your original query:
Originally Posted By: The Dude
My external hard drive […] is properly formatted for Mac.

Question: which Partition Map Scheme did you use for the drive (listed bottom right in Disk Util window)? Anything other than GUID may affect resizability.

Apart from that, you may want to check if the situation described in the MacRumors thread I can't resize my 2nd partition on my MacBook Pro matches yours. If so, you can follow the road map described there to deal with the problem.

In all cases, however, your best bet is to back up your current HD to another one and then fix the problem one.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32496 01/15/15 02:39 AM

Have you tried to boot into recovery HD partition and resize partition from there? If any possible solution mentioned above is not fruitful.

alternaut #32501 01/16/15 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: artie
You've just posted the precise reason many folks around here shy away from partitioning their disks...because the space you need is always on the other partition.

Originally Posted By: alternaut
I have to agree with Artie....

Just to set the record straight - and offer The Dude a bit of positive reinforcement in the process - while I was waving the party flag, I'm not a party member.

I maintain four partitions on my MBP's 500GB HDD because they offer me great flexibility in terms of disk usage while hugely simplifying the process when I'm either forced or just inclined to do a clean install. (Details on request)

My habits, which may be decidedly different from those of others, make it pretty unlikely that I'll ever run out of space anywhere I need it, but in the event that I do, I'm fully backed up, and the time and effort savings I'll have banked by then will more than compensate.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #32519 01/17/15 05:21 AM
OP Offline

Thank you everyone for the responses. I'm still reading into them all more, thanks again! Here is a bit more info as requested:

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : External
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Not Supported
Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard