An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Would you trust a 3rd party for power adapaters?
#32196 12/18/14 06:37 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I would like a backup for my macbook air. Would you trust a 3rd party? I've heard of newegg. Never used them yet This is just a random link I found. Like to get opinions on this. (usually this item is $73 made by Apple.) Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0S8-00AK-001A0

Re: Would you trust a 3rd party for power adapaters?
kevs #32198 12/18/14 08:12 PM

I have read articles written by people who have torn down and analyzed Apple power adaptors for the iPhone/iPad and they have been VERY impressed by the very high level of sophistication and protection in those gadgets. I also know Apple products tend to be costly and I have purchased and used third part power adaptors in the past without a problem.

That said, with absolutely no direct experience or knowledge of the Newegg product a $50 price differential would make me cautious. Granted Newegg has little or no development cost to recover as Apple does, but that big a difference leads me to question what has been left out and I suspect it would be some of the protections. Other World Computing offers genuine Apple 45 Watt power adaptors for $65 which is a long way from $19 but $8 less than you quoted for genuine Apple. But then I am a firm believer in the ancient adage that if it sounds too good to be true — it isn't true.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32205 12/18/14 11:37 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, well I think the savings should be 1/2 off or so I'll probably go with good old pricey Apple!

joemikeb #32206 12/19/14 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I have read articles written by people who have torn down and analyzed Apple power adaptors for the iPhone/iPad and they have been VERY impressed by the very high level of sophistication and protection in those gadgets.

I have read articles written by people who have torn down and analyze non-Apple power adaptors for the iPhone/iPad and they have been appalled at the shoddy workmanship and unsafe circuit design in these gadgets.

Many non-Apple chargers claim to be UL-approved when they in fact are not. Others don't even bother, knowing that almost no one will even think to check for certification.

Non-Apple chargers are so dangerous that for a while Apple had a buy-back program, wherein they would take your non-Apple charger off your hands in exchange for a discount on a genuine Apple charger.

See for example this and this. It's not just that the workmanship is shoddy and the parts inferior. It's that there is no attention at all paid to keeping the high-voltage input away from the low-voltage output. It would be one thing if the inferior products simply didn't work, but it's quite another that they can kill.

A friend's daughter came back from the flea market and proudly showed off the lovely pink iPhone earbud/charger pair she had bought for $3. Having just read articles similar to the above I knew what to look for. Her charger didn't even claim UL-approval. The good thing is that Apples takeback program was still in effect, and she wound up with a genuine adaptor at below normal list price.

I won't say all non-Apple chargers are dangerous, but I will say I wouldn't even consider one. The risk is too high. I'm not going to put my life in danger to save a paltry few dollars.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard