FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PPC and Intel clones on the same external drive
#9980 05/17/10 09:43 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

I've got a PPC iMac with Leopard on it set up as I want; and an Intel iMac with Snow Leopard on it set up as I want. I want to make a bootable clone of each volume on a different partition of a single OWC firewire 800 external drive that I own.

How do I do this? I haven't a clue.

In my ignorance, I'd be guessing as follows: Hook up the external to my PPC iMac, set up two partitions on the external under APM, and clone the PPC HD to one of the two external partitions. Then disconnect the external and attach it to the Intel machine and clone the Intel HD to the other partition

Doable? If not, can I achieve my goal in another way, and if so, how? (I'd like not to have to buy another external drive.)

Last edited by RHV; 05/18/10 04:00 PM. Reason: I think I remember reading that an APM external can boot both PPC and Intel
Re: PPC and Intel clones on the same external driv
RHV #9992 05/18/10 06:29 PM

carbon copy cloner is probably the best app for you to use.

The intel and ppc will both insist that the drive has to be formatted 'their way' to work, gpt for intel and aps for ppc, but in reality the intels can also secretly boot off aps, so you will need to partition it APS for it to work on both computers as a bootable volume.

ccc will only do the initial copy. if you want to keep them updated as live bootable backups, I'd recommend looking at RsyncX, which is a user-friendly graphical interface for rsync, that is capable of updating bootable backup volumes.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #9998 05/19/10 12:53 AM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks.

The newish 3.1 release of CCC includes incremental backups.

See MacWorld.

http://macs.about.com/od/applications/gr/cccgr.htm

"CCC 3.1 also offers file-by-file copying, which can still create a bootable clone. This option can also perform incremental backups, allowing you to keep the clones up to date, an often-overlooked aspect of using clones as a backup method. In the past, it was necessary to download and install a separate application to use with CCC, in order for incremental backups to work. CCC 3.1 has a built-in synchronization tool, which is a big step forward for ease of use."

The new release uses rsync 3.0.0

Last edited by RHV; 05/19/10 12:55 AM.
Virtual1 #10001 05/19/10 06:30 AM

RsyncX seems to be a dead project; I found lots of links, but was unable to d/l a working version.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #10009 05/19/10 06:19 PM

it's only a front-end anyway. it basically asks you some questions and then pumps out the cryptic rsync command line command that will do what you wanted.

Rsync itself is a bit of a mess though. it keeps changing its command flag syntax and usage, and custom apple flags and resource fork support has been all over the board. There also tend to be undocumented flags that you need to use as of lately.

And something in 10.6 doesn't play nice with the latest rysnc. If I ditto a volume, I can then rsync to update it without issues. But if I try to rsync from the start (with an empty dest volume) it won't boot, and I haven't figured out why. Something's not getting copied properly.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard