for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
disable auto add of printers
#2057 08/25/09 07:56 PM
OP Offline

Customer brought in a new macbook with an old HP Deskjet 940c, using a parallel to USB adapter, said the printer was not working right.

I found three of them in her list, two postscript generic and one 940c. I deleted them all and re-added the 940, it went exactly as expected and printed fine.

When I unplugged and replugged the printer, I immediately got another generic printer added. it was named by the Prolific chipset that's in the adapter, as a generic postscript printer, which performs poorly. The auto-add seems to be detecting the adapter but not the printer. (but it identifies perfectly when added manually)

Every time it's plugged back in or the computer wakes up etc, another prolific printer appears.

Sure I could sell them a USB A-to-B cable, but I'd rather fix the problem rather than hack around it and charge them in the process. Is it possible to disable the auto add of printers in Leopard??

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: disable auto add of printers
Virtual1 #2109 08/26/09 08:56 PM

The first thought that came to mind was network printing and if Print Sharing is turned on additional drivers may be added for Windows and Linux accessibility?

Here's a good resource that I've found useful from Papercut.

Re: disable auto add of printers
Virtual1 #2174 08/27/09 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Sure I could sell them a USB A-to-B cable, but I'd rather fix the problem rather than hack around it and charge them in the process.

Although I can't substantiate this with a reference (nor provide another solution for using the printer's parallel port), I strongly suspect that using the parallel to USB adapter constitutes the problematic 'hack around' here. Do you see the same issue when using the printer's USB port? If so, that solution is well worth the (negligible) cost of an A to B cable.

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard