for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't insert disk
#24159 11/14/12 09:56 PM
OP Offline

I seem to have no end of bad luck when it comes to CD/DVD drives on Mac laptops. My current MacPro drive physically won't let me insert a disk. I push it in about an inch and then it hits a physical stop and won't go any further. It's as if the load mechanism has already cycled through the load sequence thinking there's already a disk inserted. I thought that if I do a restart with the trackpad button held down, it would recycle the load mechanism, but it didn't work. This happens fairly frequently. Eventually the problem seems to fix itself, but I have no idea how or when, because I don't use disks very often. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and have they discovered any fix?

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Re: Can't insert disk
Bob_00001 #24160 11/14/12 10:10 PM

Your problem sounds similar to one I had with my iBook G4. A physical obstruction prevented me from fully inserting discs, and, like yours, my problem resolved itself on its own after a coupl'a days and a coupl'a tries; I never figured out what happened on either end.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Bob_00001 #24161 11/14/12 11:11 PM

It sounds as if the read/write head is stuck in the down position. At least that was the explanation I got from the Genius Desk at the Apple Store when the slot loading optical drive on my iMac did the same thing. I have no idea what they did in the back room to unstick the read/write head, but it has worked well ever since.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #24166 11/15/12 08:04 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the replies. So it's not just me then.

Well, it seems to have cured itself, as usual. Though, I was almost at the point of taking it in for service. I tried everything I could think of, and then it occurred to me that if I put the computer to sleep and then wake it up, the ROM drive will usually make a zip-zip noise (the head repositioning, I assume). So, I put it through the sleep-wake cycle a couple of times, and was then finally able to put the disk in. Seems to be working for now anyway.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard