An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nasty bug in iMovle 9 (part of iLife 11)
#28783 04/27/14 08:42 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

So there I was last night, doing some video editing in iMovie for the book mypartner Eve and I have written, and what to my wondering eyes should show up but a significant bug that can cause no end of grief.

I take raw footage with my Nikon DSLR (which does HD video as well as stills), and occasionally with my iPhone.

I shot a couple of hours of video with the Nikon yesterday, brought it into iPhoto, then fired up iMovie. Just as it should be, the video was all there.

Then I quit iMovie and used iPhoto to bring in other footage, shot two weeks ago on the iPhone.

Fired up iMovie, and...no video newer than several months old. The video I shot yesterday and the video I shot two weeks ago? Gone.

It seems that if you have two video cameras, and you've filmed footage at two different times, iMovie barfs if you import the newest footage, then the older footage. It seems to be consistent and repeatable. Bring in new footage, start iMovie, quit it, bring in older footage, start iMovie, and all your video footage starting with the older stuff is gone.

It's still there in iPhoto, but iMovie refuses to see it.

I'm trying a complete iPhoto rebuild--it's been running for about 18 hours now and still not finished--but I'm not confident. I did smaller rebuilds and had iPhoto repair the library and no dice. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I certainly admire the problem.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Re: Nasty bug in iMovle 9 (part of iLife 11)
tacit #28798 04/28/14 05:01 PM

The solution might be to upgrade to iMovie 10, but I understand there might be reasons not to go with that version.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard