for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
No More App Store in iTunes 12.7
#46288 09/13/17 04:44 PM
OP Offline

I just downloaded iTunes 12.7 and something is missing — the iOS App Store. When it launched there was a Notification that iTunes has been changed to focus on Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, and Audio Books. No more backing up your iOS apps in iTunes on your Mac (or PC), thus removing iOS' last vestige of dependence on the Mac.

Last edited by dianne; 09/19/17 03:04 PM. Reason: Moved from Mac OS X Applications.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: No More App Store in iTunes 12.7
joemikeb #46317 09/15/17 10:26 AM

Now how am I going to add my custom made ringtones?

joemikeb #46319 09/15/17 12:11 PM

that's interesting... it used to be that iTunes was referred to by Apple as "the gateway to the iPod".

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #46320 09/15/17 02:18 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
that's interesting… it used to be that iTunes was referred to by Apple as "the gateway to the iPod".
Today it is iCloud that is the gateway to iOS*. There are an awful lot of iOS users who do not have a Mac, a PC, and even if they have PC they don't have iTunes. The only common media is iCloud and Apple conveniently offers a free iPhone account for every iPhone user.

*I use iOS because it is easier than saying iPhone/IPad/IPod every time.

— Albert Einstein
Urquhart #46321 09/15/17 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Urquhart

Originally Posted By: Apple
If you previously used iTunes to sync apps, books, or ringtones to your iOS device, use the new App Store, iBooks, or Sounds Settings on iOS to redownload them without your computer.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #46323 09/15/17 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

If you previously used iTunes to sync apps, books, or ringtones to your iOS device, use the new App Store, iBooks, or Sounds Settings on iOS to redownload them without your computer.

I read that. It doesn’t help with my custom made ringtones, that are initially edited local sound files. The Sound Settings will only allow adding ringtones from the online Store. It seems Apple doesn’t want me to customise my iPhone if they can’t charge me (€1.29 for <40 seconds!).
What is next? A wallpaper store as the only allowed source for wallpapers?

Urquhart #46325 09/15/17 04:02 PM

I read that. It doesn’t help with my custom made ringtones, that are initially edited local sound files. The Sound Settings will only allow adding ringtones from the online Store. It seems Apple doesn’t want me to customise my iPhone if they can’t charge me (€1.29 for <40 seconds!).
What is next? A wallpaper store as the only allowed source for wallpapers?

There's an app for that—no matter what "that" is!

A quick search of the App Store on an iPhone shows quite a few ringtone makers. All that is required is that the "sound source" be on the iDevice. And if you can add the sound to iTunes on a computer and sync music libraries, it can be on your iDevice if it is not already in the Music Library.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Urquhart #46327 09/15/17 04:07 PM

Per Google, you're not alone in asking about custom ringtones.

A major oversight on Apple's part that will (soon) be corrected???

More: Responding to Ira, wouldn't it be unusual for Apple to abandon important OS functionality in favor of third party apps when their usual MO is to incorporate worthwhile 3rd party functionality into the OS?

Last edited by artie505; 09/16/17 09:32 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #46354 09/18/17 04:34 PM

More: Responding to Ira, wouldn't it be unusual for Apple to abandon important OS functionality in favor of third party apps when their usual MO is to incorporate worthwhile 3rd party functionality into the OS?

Apple did a study of how their iPhones are used and found that 60% of iPhone usage is for texting. That does not mean the remaining 40% is telephone usage; there is e-mail, Internet, etc. I take this to mean that (surprisingly) the iPhone is used as a phone less than 40% of the time. Consequently, ringtones are not critical, but flashier emojis and general texting capabilities are. Witness the new (as of iOS 10?) within Messages app App Store where you can get animated GIFs, stylized text, etc.

So just how important and worthwhile customized ringtones are to Apple and OS functionality may be "not very". At least from Apple's perspective.

I too have customized ringtones, but so far they have not been lost.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #46358 09/18/17 11:34 PM
OP Offline

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard