for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPad battery got run down to zero.
#40882 06/08/16 04:34 PM
OP Offline

Is there anything I should or could be doing now to prevent further damage?

Re: iPad battery got run down to zero.
slolerner #40883 06/09/16 03:17 PM

Recharge it!

I've had various iDevices run down to zero and after charging they were none the worse for it. Just plug them in and eventually they will light up.

Having said this, there may be some electro-chemical thing with the battery that is affected by a complete discharge, but what's done is done. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #40884 06/09/16 05:34 PM

According to Battery University there are three primary factors effecting Lithium Ion battery life including
  • depth of discharge
  • temperature
  • charge level
Their studies of Lithium Ion batteries found continually discharging the test batteries 100% resulted in somewhere between 300 and 500 recharge cycles before battery failure. (A repeated 50% discharge level increased the number of recharge cycles into the 1,200 to 1,500 range.) Given your 100% discharge is a single incident it is doubtful any reduction in battery recharge cycles would be unnoticed and undetectable. The odds are that unless you always deeply discharge the battery you will trade in or discard the iPad long before the battery life expires. Of course heat and charge level will also effect the long term battery life.

My wife and I have both inadvertently discharged an iPhone, iPad, and Watch 100% more than once, and all continue to work perfectly with no perceptible reduction in battery capacity or life.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40886 06/09/16 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
... Given your 100% discharge is a single incident it is doubtful any reduction in battery recharge cycles would be unnoticed and undetectable. ...

Methinks you meant to say "... would be noticed or detectable ...", especially given your subsequent comment:
My wife and I have both inadvertently discharged an iPhone, iPad, and Watch 100% more than once, and all continue to work perfectly with no perceptible reduction in battery capacity or life.

[My editorial eye continues to roam uncensored ....]

grelber #40888 06/09/16 09:04 PM

At least you figured out what I meant! I must have been asleep when I wrote that one.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40890 06/11/16 12:43 PM
OP Offline

Thanks.

joemikeb #40895 06/13/16 12:28 PM

According to Battery University there are three primary factors effecting Lithium Ion battery life including

I will add one that they didn't include, probably due to it being somewhat different yet none the less important to battery life.

- how much you leave your battery on charge

I just got done replacing the batteries (whole top case actually) in my work's retina, it's just under two years old. The last several months I'd noticed when I unplugged it and took it into a lab to work directly, it wasn't setting level, it was rocking slightly. Granted, the footpads on the retina are ridiculously small, but they should have been enough. I though maybe the table was warped a tad but nope, happens everywhere. I looked at the bottom and it was a bit curvy, so I took it into the shop (my previous workplace) for a look.

They took off the bottom cover, and by the time they were down to a few screws left to remove, it was clear the batteries were trying to escape. With all screws off, the cover tottered on an air cushion about 1/3" off the deck. Removed, it was crazy to see all six cells inflated like party balloons, firm to the touch.

So, that swapped out, I will try to power down my laptop once a week from now on. It otherwise spends 98% of its time on AC power. If it has to be replaced again in another 2 yrs, it'll be pretty costly.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #40898 06/13/16 01:44 PM
OP Offline

So, are you saying I should stop charging it exactly when the battery is full? Kinda hard to do, it charge it while I sleep.

slolerner #40899 06/13/16 03:07 PM

Not stop charging when full, but don't leave it plugged in and charging all the time. In other words, use it in battery only mode for some period of time.

Some people use a laptop like a desktop model—plugged in, sitting on a desk all the time, and I understand V1 to say this type of operation is not a good thing for the batteries.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #40969 06/21/16 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Not stop charging when full, but don't leave it plugged in and charging all the time. In other words, use it in battery only mode for some period of time.

Some people use a laptop like a desktop model—plugged in, sitting on a desk all the time, and I understand V1 to say this type of operation is not a good thing for the batteries.

I had been meaning to call AppleCare to learn about Apple's current advise to users who never unplug their portables (with my new MBP in particular in mind), and the last few posts finally pushed me to it, and my answer from two levels of techs was that current power block and battery technology make it unnecessary to ever unplug one.

(I'll have to update this post, because I also found some new [to me, anyhow] info at Battery University that supports AppleCare's response, but much of their website is down at the moment, and I can't access joemikeb's linked page.)

Edit: I'll qualify "current" by saying that the senior tech told me that he virtually never unpluggs his 17" MBP which can't be any newer than a Late 2011 model.

Last edited by artie505; 06/21/16 06:31 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #40980 06/22/16 05:10 AM

Concluding my previous post, How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University says

Quote:
The question is asked, “Should I disconnect my laptop from the power grid when not in use?” Under normal circumstances this should not be necessary because charging stops when the Li-ion battery is full. A topping charge is only applied when the battery voltage drops to a certain level. Most users do not remove the AC power, and this practice is safe.

1. I suspect that "Most users do not remove the AC power" really means "when they're not using battery power" and does not directly address my situation in which I never use battery power, but it echoes what the AppleCare techs told me, so I'm going to hang my hat on it. (If it eventually causes a problem I've got an AppleCare case # to back up my actions.)

2. I've looked at this BU page any number of times in the past, and although I've never seen the quoted section before I'm not comfortable stating that it's new knowledge.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #40985 06/22/16 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
and the last few posts finally pushed me to it, and my answer from two levels of techs was that current power block and battery technology make it unnecessary to ever unplug one.

I feel it's necessary to point out that sometimes even the experts can be wrong, particularly when they are speaking entirely from a theoretical point of view and lack real-world experience. "We designed it to work this way, so it works this way" doesn't always hold true.

When discussing this with the boys at the shop, we were pretty much all in agreement that the swelling would probably not have occurred if I hadn't left it on charge all the time. That's the voice of experience speaking.

Virtual1 #40989 06/22/16 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
and the last few posts finally pushed me to it, and my answer from two levels of techs was that current power block and battery technology make it unnecessary to ever unplug one.

I feel it's necessary to point out that sometimes even the experts can be wrong, particularly when they are speaking entirely from a theoretical point of view and lack real-world experience. "We designed it to work this way, so it works this way" doesn't always hold true.

When discussing this with the boys at the shop, we were pretty much all in agreement that the swelling would probably not have occurred if I hadn't left it on charge all the time. That's the voice of experience speaking.

Both points are well taken. I would also point out that although the fundamental lithium Ion battery technology is relatively stable, the technical minutia changes with almost every release. So what is true for this years model may not be true for last years model or next years model.

The recommendations for charging, calibrating, prolonging battery life continue to evolve and it appears Apple's documentation on the subject is often slow catching up. I do not use a laptop, but my daughter and a good friend both had MacBooks destroyed by swelling batteries and I know Apple ate the cost of replacing a lot of MacBooks, Airs, and Pros for that very reason and Apple does NOT like to repeat its mistakes. So it would seem possible both positions were valid, but maybe not on different model and age Apple laptops, but I can only indirectly validate that proposition.

What I do know is Apple builds a LOT more iPhones and iPads than it does MacBooks and the iOS devices account for 90 to 95% of Apple's cash flow so it would follow that Apple would put the latest and greatest technology there first. Given
  • the very nature of the iOS devices dictates they will be unplugged far more than they will be plugged in
  • battery life including number of recharge cycles as well as how long a charge lasts is a major marketing point for all smart phones
  • I am unaware of any incident involving battery swelling in iOS devices
…ergo if I had a laptop I would follow V1's advice because my experience with other Apple devices that rely on battery power.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40990 06/22/16 06:57 PM
OP Offline

So, V1, have you seen any swollen iPads?

slolerner #41068 07/05/16 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
So, V1, have you seen any swollen iPads?

Last month actually!

The library has several iPads in wall-mounted brackets beside conference rooms. They are locked into displaying the room scheduling web page. Users can check availability event times/dates, and enter a reservation. These iPads are kept plugged into wall chargers 24/7.

One was brought to me because they were unable to get it out of guided access mode, which requires the home button to initiate exit from. It turns out the home button wasn't working. I was looking around for options for repair (out of warranty) when I noticed the front panel wasn't quite flat. It turns out the glass was bulging slightly out, right around where the home button was. It was up maybe 3/4mm at the edge of where the glass met the edge of the device, below the home button. Glass that thin won't crack or break if bent slightly like that. I'd seen several cases of the very short span of glass between the home button and edge being cracked, but in this case it was not, which was surprising.

I let it sit and cool for a few days while I pondered this probable battery swelling and examined repair options. When retested a few days later, the home button worked again. I returned it to service, with the caution that it would probably act up again once it warmed up. By the next week, the home button was again not working.

joemikeb #41368 08/05/16 06:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

Both points are well taken. I would also point out that although the fundamental lithium Ion battery technology is relatively stable, the technical minutia changes with almost every release. So what is true for this years model may not be true for last years model or next years model.

The recommendations for charging, calibrating, prolonging battery life continue to evolve and it appears Apple's documentation on the subject is often slow catching up. I do not use a laptop, but my daughter and a good friend both had MacBooks destroyed by swelling batteries and I know Apple ate the cost of replacing a lot of MacBooks, Airs, and Pros for that very reason and Apple does NOT like to repeat its mistakes. So it would seem possible both positions were valid, but maybe not on different model and age Apple laptops, but I can only indirectly validate that proposition.

What I do know is Apple builds a LOT more iPhones and iPads than it does MacBooks and the iOS devices account for 90 to 95% of Apple's cash flow so it would follow that Apple would put the latest and greatest technology there first. Given
  • the very nature of the iOS devices dictates they will be unplugged far more than they will be plugged in
  • battery life including number of recharge cycles as well as how long a charge lasts is a major marketing point for all smart phones
  • I am unaware of any incident involving battery swelling in iOS devices
…ergo if I had a laptop I would follow V1's advice because my experience with other Apple devices that rely on battery power.

Beginning at the end, since "the very nature of the iOS devices dictates they will be unplugged far more than they will be plugged in" their battery experience isn't relevant to this discussion of batteries in devices that are always plugged in.

And moving on to the beginning, I doubt that Apple is relying on mere theory as the basis for their "wisdom", rather I've got to assume that their batteries undergo significant testing to establish that theory and reality aren't on a collision course. What I wonder, though, is whether they test them over their production lives or their 5-6 year potential lives in service?

The Apple tech to whom I spoke reported on an MBP that hasn't been unplugged in at least 5-6 years, V1 reported on one that hadn't been unplugged in (it sounds like) close to 3 years, and I've had two iBooks, a MacBook (old version), and an MBP, all of which were unplugged only to have their batteries run down once a month, and of those six Macs, two experienced battery swelling after 3-4 years, one experienced a battery that wouldn't discharge past 35% after 3 years, and 3 experienced no battery issues....no clear pattern there.

And finally, I just dumped the question in Battery U's lap:

Originally Posted By: artie & BU
Hi,

My first four Mac laptops virtually never left their places on my desk and, consequently, were virtually never used on battery power.

Apple’s on-line and/or verbal guidance was to completely run the batteries in those Macs down once every month, which I did with no apparent resultant issues.

I recently got a new MacBook Pro, and I once again called Apple to ask for guidance, and this time I was told that I should leave my MBP plugged in 100% of the time…that there’s no need to either work the battery or run it down completely.

This Batter U page <http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteriesHow to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University> says:

"The question is asked, “Should I disconnect my laptop from the power grid when not in use?” Under normal circumstances this should not be necessary because charging stops when the Li-ion battery is full. A topping charge is only applied when the battery voltage drops to a certain level. Most users do not remove the AC power, and this practice is safe.”

However, since it sounds like that advice is directed towards users who leave their devices plugged in when they’re not using them on battery power it doesn’t seem applicable to my situation.

Consequently, I’m wondering what guidance Battery U offers to users who virtually never unplug their Macs from day one to day n.

I understand that in theory I should never need use my battery, but at the same time I’m wondering if that theory has actually been road-tested on batteries that have remained totally unused for periods as long as the lives of many Mac laptops which frequently are in use for 5-6 years and more.

I’ll really appreciate a definitive answer to my question.

(Response)

Artie,

No situation is perfect as high temperature also plays a role in battery life. Keeping a laptop plugged in provides a sufficiently long service life when kept moderately cool. You may want to disconnect the main if the laptop is not used for a few days.

Isidor Buchmann| CEO

Cadex Electronics Inc.

Now there's as an explicit answer for you!

So...bottom line...all things considered, I'm going to continue my practice of running my battery down once a month; it seems to cover all bases without unduly depleting battery life. (The only thing I've changed is rather than discharging my battery as quickly as I can [by running iTunes visualizer] I now discharge it slowly in the course of normal use.)

artie505 #41386 08/05/16 02:46 PM
OP Offline

Well, I had to replace the iPad 3 because after loading system 9.3 it keeps happening because the thing doesn't sleep. It also got so slow typing in that it can't be used.

When I brought it in I was told that the newer operating systems do this to older iPad s. In fact, I researched it and there are several class action law suits for older iPhones becoming unusable and people being forced to buy newer ones.

Doesn't stop the problems of update reminders on my iPad air every day while watching movies. Too easy to press the wrong option on the pop-up and updating unintentially.

Last edited by slolerner; 08/05/16 02:48 PM.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard