for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do iPads get keystroke capture malware?
#38066 12/31/15 07:50 PM
OP Offline

Just wondering, we add all this security to desktops, and iPads seem to fly without a net.

Edit: Sometimes trying to type something in becomes painfully slow and I have to do either a soft or complete restart.

Last edited by slolerner; 12/31/15 07:51 PM. Reason: More
Re: Do iPads get keystroke capture malware?
slolerner #38068 12/31/15 10:18 PM

To date iOS devices have, if anything, been significantly less vulnerable to exploits than OS X for many reasons…
  • Known vulnerable functionalities such as Java and Flash are not and have never been available for iOS,
  • installing anything other than through the app store is only possible on devices that have been chain broken (which requires physical access to the device and immediately terminates any Apple support)
  • "sandboxing" of all apps has been the only option for iOS since day one.
  • "sandboxing" makes it very difficult, I would never say "impossible", for one app to spy on another
  • NOTE: Cookie Stumbler has recently appeared in iOS but it requires user input and passwords to link it with Safari.
  • High risk apps, such as those from financial institutions, often have their own at least semi-proprietary security measures. (I know of one that is encouraging its depositors to use their smartphone app rather than their web interface for security reasons. In fact some of their smartphone app technology has now been ported to their web app.)
I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that as the internet becomes a more and more hostile environment it is inevitable OS X will move closer and closer to the iOS model and features that have been "grandfathered" into OS X to support third party apps will become more and more restricted or even disappear altogether.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #38074 12/31/15 10:50 PM
OP Offline

Well, once I thought I had typed in YouTube but apparently misspelled it and hit return and got one of those lock-down windows of death with an "ok" button to go somewhere and I had to do a restart to get it to go away.

I did have a keystroke capture on my desktop many, many years ago. The keyboard on my ipad often gets 'sticky' and slow.

I would like to just keep wiping the thing. The only thing I want are the bookmarks, but there seems to be no way for them to survive a wipe, no export, no nothing.

Last edited by slolerner; 12/31/15 10:51 PM. Reason: clarity

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
joemikeb #38075 12/31/15 10:54 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that as the internet becomes a more and more hostile environment it is inevitable OS X will move closer and closer to the iOS model and features that have been "grandfathered" into OS X to support third party apps will become more and more restricted or even disappear altogether.

I'm getting more and more of an understanding of what my ex-girlfriend used to rant and rave about when DOS gave way to Windows, and I fully sympathize!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
slolerner #38077 12/31/15 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
I would like to just keep wiping the thing. The only thing I want are the bookmarks, but there seems to be no way for them to survive a wipe, no export, no nothing.

You are not going to like my answer but Safari on all my OS X and iOS devices are synched to iCloud and even if go to Settings > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings (about as complete a wipe as possible, after I re-establish the iCloud account all of my Safari bookmarks are back just as they were before the wipe.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #38078 01/01/16 12:17 AM
OP Offline

But, along with everything else, or can I just get the bookmarks reestablished?

slolerner #38081 01/01/16 12:29 AM

You can narrow the link to Safari, which would include settings and bookmarks, but not just bookmarks.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard