FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can no longer sync
#17137 08/22/11 12:11 PM
jepinto Offline OP
OP Offline

Happened in the past two months. iPhone will no longer sync Contacts or Calendars.

June is fuzzy, but I think there was an system update. I was not myself and remember allowing some updates. Then I started having problems, added another user for trouble shooting purposes, and iTunes said something about the information belonging to another user. I've since removed the second user.

Sync just hangs for hours at Contacts. If I unselect Contacts, it hangs at Calendars. Music syncs.

I've tried Restore, I don't get the "other user" dialog any longer, but can not sync either. I have used the backup to get the info back on the phone.

There are 700 contacts and 14 calendars. Most recent backup is 90 days old, May 20. Would not lose much, but would prefer, of course, to not lose anything.

You don't have to tell the neighbors
A little silence ain't no sin
They already think my name is
Where in the hell you been?
Re: Can no longer sync
jepinto #17165 08/23/11 11:27 AM
jepinto Offline OP
OP Offline

maybe more information will help

iPhone 3gs
Snow Leopard on MBP 2.16 3g ram
most current updates applied to both system and 4.3.5 on phone

Re: Can no longer sync
jepinto #17168 08/23/11 01:48 PM

The standard sequence of things to try when your iPhone, iPod, or iPad start acting strangely are:

1. Shut down and restart. That is a full shutdown achieved by pressing and holding the on/off/sleep/wake button at the top of the device until a shut down slide bar appears on the screen. Slide the shutdown then allow time for the device to completely power down. Wait another 30 seconds or so then restart by once again holding down the on/off/sleep button.
  2. Reset your iDevice by plugging it into your MBP and when iTunes launches, selecting the iDevice and clicking on the Reset button. This will...
    1. Backup your iDevice
    2. Reset the firmware and settings to the factory default
    3. Restore everything in the iDevice from the backup it just made. (NOTE: this can take a while, especially if there are lots of tunes and images that have to be reloaded, so be patient.

Generally that will take care of most synch and other problems with iDevices.

The other thing I have encountered from on occasion is a corrupted tune, or I suppose it could also be a corrupted calendar file, that will stop the synch process. In that case it is a matter of identifying the corrupted file and..
  • delete the file
  • restore the file from a backup or in the case of a tune purchased in iTunes, redownload the tune.
The log files might be helpful in identifying and offending file if that is the case.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard