for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
App Store error 8012
#10765 06/27/10 09:18 PM
OP Offline

Half a year ago I tried to download an app titled Pi Calc from the App Store. The attempt was met by the error message
There was a problem downloading the artwork for “Pi-Calc”. Please try again by choosing “Check for Available Downloads” from the Store menu. Unfortunately, this has been of little help, as I cannot find that particular Store menu item. I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction, assuming there is one.

Meanwhile, iTunes' Downloads screen lists the app with error 8012. This entry cannot be deleted permanently: initially it is removed from the screen, but it reappears with the next download activity for anything else. Somehow I duplicated the item on the Downloads screen, and forever since I've been stuck with this pair. It's no longer listed in the app store; a search brings up nothing with that title, and following the link provided above yields the error message 'Your request could not be completed. The item you've requested is not currently available in the US store'.

Today a third dead item was added to my Downloads list, when I got the same errors ('artwork' and '8012') with an update for another app (Astronomy Afficionado). AA is currently a paid app and is listed on the App Store; I acquired a free copy during a promotion, but based on similar 'purchases' of temporarily free apps I doubt this is related to the error messages.

Anybody have an idea how best to get rid of these 'error 8012' entries stuck on iTunes' Downloads screen?

alternaut moderator
Re: App Store error 8012
alternaut #10766 06/27/10 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Half a year ago I tried to download an app titled Pi Calc from the App Store. The attempt was met by the error message
There was a problem downloading the artwork for “Pi-Calc”. Please try again by choosing “Check for Available Downloads” from the Store menu. Unfortunately, this has been of little help, as I cannot find that particular Store menu item. I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction, assuming there is one.

Meanwhile, iTunes' Downloads screen lists the app with error 8012. This entry cannot be deleted permanently: initially it is removed from the screen, but it reappears with the next download activity for anything else. Somehow I duplicated the item on the Downloads screen, and forever since I've been stuck with this pair. It's no longer listed in the app store; a search brings up nothing with that title, and following the link provided above yields the error message 'Your request could not be completed. The item you've requested is not currently available in the US store'.

Today a third dead item was added to my Downloads list, when I got the same errors ('artwork' and '8012') with an update for another app (Astronomy Afficionado). AA is currently a paid app and is listed on the App Store; I acquired a free copy during a promotion, but based on similar 'purchases' of temporarily free apps I doubt this is related to the error messages.

Anybody have an idea how best to get rid of these 'error 8012' entries stuck on iTunes' Downloads screen?

The only way to affect items in the Downloads area is to report the problem to the iTunes store. (once it has gotten that far, our only choices are to download it or report it... as users we cannot do anything else, except perhaps continuously canceling its download activity, and have it sit there for perpetuity).

The easiest way to do that is to click the "report a problem" link next to that particular item (either in the email receipt or from your accounts window (in there somewhere). Failing those two, i think any official contact should work. I recently had to request they remove an item from Downloads for me (an accidental purchase).

Linkage: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/#downloading_itunes_store_purchases

The “Check for Available Downloads” item is the last one on the Store menu (iTunes 9.2).

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 06/27/10 10:01 PM. Reason: add linkage
Hal Itosis #10767 06/28/10 01:07 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with that problematic menu item: somehow, I hadn't check iTunes' own menus, but instead was searching for items within iTunes' Store window. (That tells you how often I peruse those iTunes menus...) Suffice it to say that the same errors appear when following up on downloading 'available downloads' listed in my Apple Account Information window (to which the iTunes' “Check for Available Downloads” menu item points).

I tried to download the Astronomy Afficionado update directly from my iPod Touch, something that has worked before when the iTunes route balked at this task, but this grayed out the app's icon, and changed its name to 'Waiting'. tongue

Finally, I contacted iTunes Store Support and filed a problem report. We'll see what happens now.

alternaut moderator
Hal Itosis #10841 07/05/10 07:02 PM
OP Offline

Yesterday (yes, on July 4!), a Senior Advisor of the iTunes Store Customer Support removed the problem items from my download queue. Case solved & closed. tongue

alternaut moderator
alternaut #10887 07/09/10 03:01 PM
OP Offline

Darn! It looks like that ‘case closed’ feeling was premature: like the previous v1.8, the latest Astronomy Afficionado 1.9 updater produced an '8012' error. frown Back to Store Support for another exorcism session…

alternaut moderator
alternaut #10941 07/13/10 01:30 AM
OP Offline

Hmm, interesting. After a few days of that florfed download, but before I got down to filing another problem ticket, all at once the download proceeded normally. While I prefer this kind of solution, I'm still curious about the why of this particular error. Apple Discussions list 3 other threads on the topic (all 2010), but without any new information.

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard