FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fingerprints don't work
#50944 01/18/19 09:40 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Often, very often, maybe after sleep? not sure... iphone requires numeric password and two fingerprints I have set wont work. I find it a baffling nuisance. What is up with that? I don't get it.

Re: Fingerprints don't work
kevs #50950 01/18/19 10:57 PM

There are a number of restrictions the use of biometric identification which includes fingerprints and facial recognition. Assuming you are using 12.1…
  • check the settings in Settings > Face ID & Passcode. There you will find which apps are authorized to use biometric identification otherwise you will be required to enter your passcode
  • In Settings > General > Spftware Update if Automatic Updates are ON any iOSe update will reboot your iPhone and subsequent access will require you to enter your passcode to activate biometric identification
  • in Settings > General > Accessibiity if Guided Access
  • If your iPhone restarts for any reason you will have to enter our passcode to activate biometric identification
  • to change many Settings you must enter your passcode as biometric ID is not accepted
  • Not all apps accept biometric IDs — contact the developer and ask they add that feature and when it is added be sure and authorize its use in Settings > Face ID & Passcode
  • If for any reason your fingerprint is not recognized you will have to enter your passcode and although fingerprint ID is reliable there are situations when your fingerprint may not be recognized. In my experience facial ID is the more reliable but even then there are occasions when that fails. If there is any question iOS quite properly takes the conservative approach and require your passcode. If the failure happens often try erasing and resetting your fingerprints. Be particularly careful about the edges and tips of your fingers.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50954 01/19/19 01:42 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Joe, great post.
So it's not a incessant issue, but just enough, that after awhile, I'm like, why is it asking for the passcode? (maybe once a week)

And in these cases, I cannot pinpoint why? Can you usually pinpoint it?

After your post, I would most likely just shrug it off.. and assume normal...and often mysterious..

kevs #50959 01/19/19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Ok Joe, great post.
So it's not a incessant issue, but just enough, that after awhile, I'm like, why is it asking for the passcode? (maybe once a week)

And in these cases, I cannot pinpoint why? Can you usually pinpoint it?

AFIK there is no way to know for sure unless it is in response to something you have just done, such as restarting your iPhone

Originally Posted By: keys
After your post, I would most likely just shrug it off.. and assume normal...and often mysterious..

That is pretty much what I do. Facial recognition has a setting where you have to be LOOKING at the iPhone and not just in view of the facial recognition camera. The idea is, of course, protection against someone holding the iPhone in front of your unconscious(?) face to unlock the iPhone. Unless I have intentionally done something that would trigger a restart or it is an app that does not accept biometric unlocking, I typically ascribe recognition failures to being distracted and looking away not at the iPhone.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50962 01/19/19 09:45 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

"iPhone in front of your unconscious"

Hilarious. I don't have feature yet (iphone 7).. or they want/ are looking into your soul.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard