An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Getting killed on Verizon bill, what is this?
#50797 01/01/19 09:10 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm at $55 month, 2GB comes to $70 after taxes.

Never had issue before but now running out...

Yesterday after only a few days into the cycle I'm down to 87%, and it says 40% of usage is navigation. But I only used it once for 20 min. Very puzzling. What you all there thing/ use, recommend? Thanks.

Re: Getting killed on Verizon bill, what is this?
kevs #50811 01/02/19 05:54 PM

There are some standard practices including:
  • Make a thorough assessment of each application's settings viz-a-viz. your actual needs including Background App Refresh and Cellular Data. For example does iTunes & App Store REALLY need to use cellular data or can you hold off downloading the latest album until you have WiFi access? Does App Store need to use cellular data or can it too wait until you have WiFi access?
  • Disallowing all location services except when an app is in use (this is probably a good thing even if conserving cellular data bandwidth isn't a particular consideration
  • Be sure to STOP any navgation app or app that uses navigtion services when it is not in focus. (If the app is open but in the background it is still using locations services (GPS)
  • Consider turning cellular data on ONLY when you actually need it and have no access to WiFi.
  • Be prepared to take some time with this analysis as there are a LOT of apps and a LOT of factors to consider.
Admittedly I am typically in a WiFi rich environment but by diligent application of the above practices the only time I go over ~.5 GB of data a month is when traveling by road in the unsettled regions of the American Southwest deserts and mountains.

Last edited by joemikeb; 01/02/19 05:57 PM. Reason: be prepared

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50820 01/02/19 09:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Good tips Joe.

. Well yeah, I definitely do not use itunes or app store that much on the road.
. Navigation: interesting: others have have told me that apps that are on in background, don't bother shutting off, as usage is negligible. But you say when done with using a navigation session turn app off? (in background is it eating up data at same volume?)
. On that note, I've been meaning to ask: if there a less tedious way to officially close an app other than double clicking the home button and swiping up? That the only way I know how--wish was easier method. Same question with screenshots, I find having to click two buttons at same time laborious.

Will study your other points.

kevs #50821 01/02/19 10:46 PM

There is no other screenshot option provided by Apple I presume mainly because a single click option could easily result in lots of unwanted screen shots. I get accidental screenshots all that time when I grab my iPhone with my big hand that easily wraps around it. There are however a number of third party screenshot apps in the App Store and perhaps one of those might suit your need.

Even in background Navigation apps can and will suck power and download bandwidth. How much of each depends on the App and what features are activated.

As far as shutting apps down, I think the finger gestures in the more recent iPhones and iPads that are without home buttons are a LOT more convenient in that regard, albeit a tad bit expensive if that is the only feature you are interested in.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50822 01/02/19 10:59 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks, cool, I'll search out screenshot apps.. like today I was driving and did two screenshots, hands off the wheel, two handed screenshots- annoying.

I'm on the 7, so the easier app shutdown started with 8?

kevs #50824 01/02/19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
I'm on the 7, so the easier app shutdown started with 8?

In my case I didn't get it until iPhone X and I still don't have it on my iPad frown

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard