for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iOS, WatchOS, & TVOS updates
#43456 01/23/17 09:59 PM
OP Offline

Along with today's release of MacOS 10.12.3, Apple also released iOS 10.2.1, WatchOS 3.1.3, and TVOS 10.1.

Caution: it works better to update your iPhone and THEN the iWatch, not the other way around. If you don't believe that, ask my wife.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: iOS, WatchOS, & TVOS updates
joemikeb #43475 01/24/17 04:18 PM

I didn't think you could move the WatchOS to an update newer than the iOS. In the past I have been told (by the Watch update) to update the iPhone first, but your wife may know otherwise. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #43479 01/24/17 07:48 PM

I'm guessing that joemikeb's wife knows now, and it ain't 'otherwise'. tongue

grelber #43480 01/24/17 08:23 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: grelber
I'm guessing that joemikeb's wife knows now, and it ain't 'otherwise'. tongue

Spot on!

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43494 01/26/17 09:39 PM
OP Offline

Being a beta tester is not for the complacent. Monday I was running the just released iOS 10.3 and today I am running iOS 10.4 Beta 1. Nothing exciting about the installs and so far I have not encountered anything new, just a clean install and everything working according to specification -- so far.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43495 01/26/17 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Being a beta tester is not for the complacent.

Spot on!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #43560 01/31/17 10:56 PM
OP Offline

Changes and more changes in iOS 10.3 beta
  1. Backup Now is among the missing
  2. Settings > iCloud is among the missing
  3. The warning 32 bit apps may slow your system down has been changed to read:
    Originally Posted By: iOS10.3
    This app will not work with future versions of iOS. The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility"
  4. Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage has been significantly enhanced
    1. Storage
      1. used,
      2. available
      3. Manage Storage —
        • lists every installed app,
        • how much storage is attributable to the app
        • touching > reveals how much data the app is storing.
      4. Swiping right on the app offers the option to delete the app.
    2. iCloud — Total Storage, Available, and Manage Storage.
      1. Storage Plan — Current usage and link to change iCloud storage plan
      2. Photos — iCloud Photo Library size and the option to Disable and Delete
      3. Backups — a list of all iOS devices backed up to the iCloud account
        1. for this device —
          • the size of its backup
          • when last backed up,
          • the size of the next backup
          • A list of all the installed apps and the option to select on an app by app basis whether or not to back it up NOTE: only the data is backed up to your iCloud drive. In a restore the app itself would be reloaded from the App Store
        2. For other iOS devices on the account the size of their backup data set
      4. Documents & Data — on an app by app basis shows how much iCloud data storage is used and offers an option to delete only that data from iCloud storage
    3. NOTE: When I attempted to backup mu iPhone to iTunes 12.5.5.5 on MacOS 10.12.4 beta 1 the iPhone would mount and appear in iTunes but there was no option to backup to iTunes in either iTunes or iOS 10.3 beta 1 that I could find.
  5. I may have overlooked how to activate backup now, but as far as I can tell in iOS 10.3 iCloud backups are on an opt-out rather than opt-in basis and otherwise almost completely automated (you still have to bet connected to power and the device locked). I have been backing my iOS devices up to iCloud for a few years now and have no problem with it, but I suspect others may not be as sanguine. Unless I overlooked something or backup options are re-added in a future beta there is a good opportunity for a developer to write a backup app for iOS assuming Apple will permit it.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43566 02/01/17 01:08 PM

Quote:
This app will not work with future versions of iOS. The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility

I like that. Interesting difference in philosophy between mac and windows there. Windows is like "We'll keep supporting that even though it's causing problems and performance issues, until we absolutely have to pull the plug on it because everything is breaking." Apple is like "We're moving on to newer technologies. Update your software or get off the bus!" Apple loves to drag its developers forward just as much as it will drag its users forward.

I also like how they're taking much more passive-aggressive stance now. Instead of apologizing for the problem, they're placing the lax developers squarely in the users' crosshairs, and no doubt causing them to contact the devs and either (A) find out that the dev actually has NO intention of updating their software and you better go looking for a replacement before you get dumped off the bus, or (B) pressuring the developer to update their software to modern standards. Either way, it's not there to help Apple, it's entirely intended to be a win for the user.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #43567 02/01/17 02:44 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I also like how they're taking much more passive-aggressive stance now. Instead of apologizing for the problem, they're placing the lax developers squarely in the users' crosshairs

This also goes along with the recent "house cleaning" of the App Store in which apps that were not being currently developed and kept current were removed. Like you I applaud putting the onus on the third party developers to keep their products current. It protects the users as well as Apple's reputation.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43570 02/01/17 05:41 PM

And specifically with 32-bit apps, will not be supported.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard