Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iphone 6 and Google Navigation questions
#39243 03/03/16 02:48 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Three issues if anyone can help:

1) I start navigation, then some time goes by, the screen goes dark, and I'm locked out of the phone, while driving I have to log in, very annoying.

2) I take a call, and then navigation does not continue helping. It stops and I miss the destination. Is this normal?

3) at the end, it says you have arrived, but the address, which I'd like to see on the screen, in not there. The app quits.

Re: iphone 6 and Google Navigation questions
kevs #39246 03/03/16 04:43 PM

One simple solution is to use Apple Maps. None of the three things you mention occurs with Maps.

One thought on your item #2, though. With many multi-tasking events on the iPhone, the first active event (navigation in your situation) does not "go away" when a second event occurs (phone call). Instead it "hides", but there is a colored bar across the top of the iPhone screen, that if tapped, brings back the hidden app. This may only be true for Apple apps (again, I don't use Google).

On your item #1, you could change in "Settings>General>Auto-Lock" the time for screen darkening and locking to "Never" when you are navigating. Downside is remembering to change it back.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #39247 03/03/16 05:11 PM

1. What iOS version and what Navigation app are you using? Maps in iOS 9 and IIRC iOS 8 do not go to sleep if it has the focus (ie. is in foreground. Some third party apps have an option to not go to sleep but in most cases the key is having the navigation app in the foreground.
  2. WARNING: using the phone while driving is proven to be a significant health hazard to yourself as well as others on the road and is illegal in some jurisdiction and discouraged in others. This includes using hands free devices.
    • Just be sure when you hang up that you bring the Navigation app back to the foreground.
    • Normally if you just answer a call the navigation app will remain in the foreground. If you initiate the phone call you have manually put the navigation app in the background.
    • If you have an Apple watch and you are not using it for the phone call, and are using Maps for navigation, the watch will tap you on the wrist and indicate the turn on the face of the watch. cool
  3. Again that is navigation app dependent. Some do others don't

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #39250 03/03/16 05:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe and Ira.
I'm using Google Maps. I've never tried Apple, what do you use Joe? I've just assumed from the news that Google is the best.

I'm on the iphone6 and do updates, so I assume current ios. think says 9.2.1

I used bluetooth in my ear. But I hear you Joe,it can be more dangerous, I'm in California. I have to say, I do get a lot done in traffic when it works! This call, she called me back, and I know about the bar at the top, so Google Maps was in the background right, as I was on the phone: so then it does not continue to tell me where to go? I thought it did. Or only if I'm calling out? Or you have to see Maps in foreground?

kevs #39255 03/03/16 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
I'm using Google Maps. I've never tried Apple, what do you use Joe? I've just assumed from the news that Google is the best.

Google Maps is very good and has been for a long time and there were some rather egregious errors in Maps when it was first released, but that has changed now. I have used several different navigation apps over the years but for the last couple of years I have been using Maps when I am in my car and for local trips, because it integrates well with all the other Apple iOS apps, stays up to date and is as accurate as any in an area where the roads are changing on an almost daily basis. In my RV and especially on long trips I use Co-pilot because it has options to customize the routing for a 9½ foot tall, 22 foot long vehicle, and my personal preferences of Freeways vs divide highways vs primary roads vs secondary roads vs local streets. (I get bored on freeways and I hate to be bored.)

I used bluetooth in my ear. But I hear you Joe,it can be more dangerous, I'm in California. I have to say, I do get a lot done in traffic when it works!

A woman in our area said essentially the same thing until she was talking on her cell phone a couple of nights ago and drove under the trailer of an 18 wheeler removing the top of her car and her head in one fell swoop. She hasn't gotten that much done since then. The truck driver was not harmed.

This call, she called me back, and I know about the bar at the top, so Google Maps was in the background right, as I was on the phone: so then it does not continue to tell me where to go? I thought it did. Or only if I'm calling out? Or you have to see Maps in foreground?

AFIK the iPhone audio overrides all other audio sources during a call. Otherwise there is a substantial risk of creating a feedback loop.

If I am navigating with my iPhone and a call comes in that I answer using the "hands free" link in my car or RV, the navigation app remains on top but voice guidance is silenced. I still get visual guidance on the iPhone screen and on my Apple watch but no voice guidance. NOTE: that only applies to a sound source emanating from the iOS device. Since the hands free device is the radio in my car, the radios mute any audio source playing through them except the phone link when there is an active call in progress.

There is a Maps option in Settings that will "Pause Spoken Audio" during Maps voice guidance instructions, otherwise the guidance is on top of whatever spoken audio is going on such as music, audio books, etc. But in that case the microphone is OFF so there is no risk of audio feedback.

Co-pilot, on the other hand, has Music settings in app (in lieu of in Settings) to
  1. Mute during voice prompt
  2. Reduce during voice prompt
  3. use same volume as voice prompt
  4. No voice prompts while music is playing
Notice that is MUSIC not phone. Like Maps the telephone mutes during a phone call because the microphone is active then.

Last edited by dianne; 03/05/16 02:59 PM. Reason: Changed quote attributions from Ira to kevs.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #39256 03/04/16 12:21 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Funny scary story Joe!

To be clear, it was normal that the woman giving directions on Google Maps was not talking while I was on the phone?

I don't think though I saw any directions it went to the background, so I had to get off the freeway, I did not know what was happening.

You have bluetooth built into the car? So nice, I have to grab a blue tooth mic and put it around my ear.

Again though, as soon as Google maps goes to the background its tough while driving to get it up front. And sometimes it goes dark, and I have to log in while driving which is a real bummer. I dont like the idea of making a setting to keep the display on just for driving, but is that the only solution for that?

kevs #39260 03/04/16 02:20 PM

I have no suggested solution as it is a situation I have never had to confront. Just the difference in how I use my iPhone when in my vehicles.

Connecting the iPhone with the infotainment system in a vehicle is really nice, but studies indicate it is no safer than holding a cell phone to your ear. It is still distracted driving.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #39265 03/04/16 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: ira

Google Maps is very good and has been for a long time and there were some rather egregious errors in Maps when it was first released, but that has changed now. I have used several different navigation apps over the years but for the last couple of years I have been using Maps when I am in my car and for local trips, because it integrates well with all the other Apple iOS apps, stays up to date and is as accurate as any in an area where the roads are changing on an almost daily basis. In my RV and especially on long trips I use Co-pilot because it has options to customize the routing for a 9½ foot tall, 22 foot long vehicle, and my personal preferences of Freeways vs divide highways vs primary roads vs secondary roads vs local streets. (I get bored on freeways and I hate to be bored.)

I used bluetooth in my ear. But I hear you Joe,it can be more dangerous, I'm in California. I have to say, I do get a lot done in traffic when it works!

A woman in our area said essentially the same thing until she was talking on her cell phone a couple of nights ago and drove under the trailer of an 18 wheeler removing the top of her car and her head in one fell swoop. She hasn't gotten that much done since then. The truck driver was not harmed.

This call, she called me back, and I know about the bar at the top, so Google Maps was in the background right, as I was on the phone: so then it does not continue to tell me where to go? I thought it did. Or only if I'm calling out? Or you have to see Maps in foreground?

AFIK the iPhone audio overrides all other audio sources during a call. Otherwise there is a substantial risk of creating a feedback loop.

If I am navigating with my iPhone and a call comes in that I answer using the "hands free" link in my car or RV, the navigation app remains on top but voice guidance is silenced. I still get visual guidance on the iPhone screen and on my Apple watch but no voice guidance. NOTE: that only applies to a sound source emanating from the iOS device. Since the hands free device is the radio in my car, the radios mute any audio source playing through them except the phone link when there is an active call in progress.

There is a Maps option in Settings that will "Pause Spoken Audio" during Maps voice guidance instructions, otherwise the guidance is on top of whatever spoken audio is going on such as music, audio books, etc. But in that case the microphone is OFF so there is no risk of audio feedback.

Co-pilot, on the other hand, has Music settings in app (in lieu of in Settings) to
  1. Mute during voice prompt
  2. Reduce during voice prompt
  3. use same volume as voice prompt
  4. No voice prompts while music is playing
Notice that is MUSIC not phone. Like Maps the telephone mutes during a phone call because the microphone is active then.

• Please fix the quote references. I think they should be from "kevs", not me.

On a Mac since 1984.
    Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
    Ira L #39268 03/04/16 10:11 PM

Ira you are correct, those quotes should be attributed to keys (I have no idea how that happened). Unfortunately by the time I read your post the time had expired to edit my post.

— Albert Einstein
    joemikeb #39275 03/05/16 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
    Ira you are correct, those quotes should be attributed to keys (I have no idea how that happened). Unfortunately by the time I read your post the time had expired to edit my post.

Your post above should clear it up to anyone reading the thread. Thanks. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard