FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iBooks Notes Mailing
#34129 05/05/15 03:37 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

I am using an iPAD II with the latest OS 8.3 update and this is the first time I have used the procedure for sending the highlighted notes in an ebook to my HOTMAIL (i.e.Notes/Edit/Share/Send).

Everything "seems" to do what is expected . . . including the little "swoosh" sound when the email sends. HOWEVER, the email never shows up in Hotmail.

Any ideas as to why my email is not arriving in my HOTMAIL?

UPDATE: If I follow the prescribed procedure using iBooks on my MBPro, the email sends and receives in HOTMAIL, as expected.

Last edited by MG2009; 05/05/15 04:28 AM. Reason: Experiment with MBPro
Re: iBooks Notes Mailing
MG2009 #34134 05/05/15 03:47 PM

Questions:
  • Other than sending iBook Hilighted Notes can you send regular emails from your iPad to you HOTMAIL account?
  • What is the default SMTP server on your iPad?
  • Are the iBook messages showing up in the Sent Mail folder on your iPad?
  • Do you have Mail synchronized between your iCloud account, iPad, and Mac?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34137 05/05/15 06:14 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks. In order of questions:

1. On the iPAD - using the MAIL app link to my HOTMAIL account - SENT messages will show up in the OUTBOX with a little red exclamation point. The pinwheel spins at the top and then times out without sending the message, although the "swoosh" sound happens. I then get an iPAD pop-up message that my account and/or password do not match. However, I have no problem receiving new messages from other computers (i.e. not sent from my iPAD); reading all my saved messages on the iPAD is also not a problem. In other words, in spite of the DO NOT MATCH message, I am able to navigate through all my folders as usual and messages from other sources are received - just not those sent from my iPAD.

The issue does seem to be confined only to the SENDING of messages FROM the iPAD.

2. Default server is : smtp-mail.outlook.com

3. Messages show up in OUTBOX, but not in SENT folder (see #1 above).

4. I have not registered for iCLOUD for any of its features on any computer or device. This SEND issue is a recent development. (P.S. I have used the iPAD for sending and receiving my HOTMAIL through the MAIL app for years without signing up to iCLOUD at any time.)

Hope some of this info helps. Thanks, again.

MG2009 #34140 05/05/15 09:08 PM

The reason I asked about iCloud is if you are using the iCloud to synchronize your Mail clients on your Mac and on your iPad is if you changed the setting on either device it would automatically be changed on the other. Since the SMTP server is working on your Mac, if you were using iCloud to synch the settings on your iPad would have to be correct as well. It would either work or not work on both.

There are separate settings for both the incoming IMAP/POP server and outgoing SMTP servers. Best guess is there is an error either in the user name or the password for the SMTP server while the IMAP/POP server is correct. It is also possible the SMTP security settings are incorrect on your iPad. You will find the settings in…
  1. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Accounts
  2. Touch the continue Arrow ( > ) to the right of the account name
  3. Touch the Continue Arrow ( > ) to the right of the SMTP server
  4. Touch the Continue arrow ( > ) touch the right of the Primary Server name
  5. You should now be seeing the settings for the SMTP server. Verify those settings against what is working on your Mac. Best Guess it will be an error either in the password itself, or the SSL setting.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34141 05/06/15 02:21 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Okay. I think it is working now . . .

On the MBPro:

INCOMING MAIL settings are IMAP-mail.outlook.com
OUTGOING MAIL settings are SMTP-mail.outlook.com

On the IPAD:

SMTP-mail.outlook.com "was" entered for both incoming and outgoing. So I edited the settings to match what is on the MBPRo (above).

Tested: Sent highlights in an iBook to my Hotmail FROM & TO the iPad's Mail App. Sent and received as expected now. Thanks, again.

MG2009 #34142 05/06/15 02:36 PM

Glad that solved your problem.

Since iCloud is a freebie (unless you decide to load a bunch of stuff on the iCloud Drive and need extra space) think about using it to keep the settings on all your OS X and iOS devices in synch. It really does make things simpler.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34144 05/06/15 04:13 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks. But I only have - and only will have - the laptop and the iPAD to deal with. No cell phone, no Applewatch, no other tablets, no iPod. (I have a KINDLE for reading, but it has nothing to do with OS settings or synching.)

I imagine someday Apple will force iCloud on its customers just to be able to turn on the computer. :0) But, until then, I will happily manage without it . . . I do not need to be THAT connected to the world. grin

Thanks again for your help with the iPAD settings.

Many thanks,
MG2009

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard