FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPad locked on mute
#32088 12/13/14 03:44 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Somewhere along the line (I'm assuming the move from iOs 7 to iOS 8) my iPad has changed to mute. I noticed it a while back when incoming message weren't accompanied by an alert but I wasn't concerned, so didn't look into it.

However, this morning I had a different need and did check.

I went to Settings/General/Mute and found that the usual slide switch has been replaced with a check mark √, even though the heading says "Use side switch to: "

There is small lettering that says "Rotation lock is available in Control Centre." However, when I look in Control Centre, there is nothing about Rotation Lock.

Under the "Use side switch to: " heading there is also "Lock Rotation" and I can change between "Lock Rotation" or "Mute" by touching them, although I can't have both.

Why don't I have slide switches for "Lock Rotation" and "Mute" ?

How can I get my iPad un-muted without having the screen rotation locked?

Last edited by ryck; 12/13/14 03:45 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: iPad locked on mute
ryck #32091 12/13/14 04:30 PM

I am sure you know this but just to be on the safe side Control Center is reached by swiping from the bottom to the top of the screen. In Control Center the top row of icons from left to right are
  • Airline mode
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • Do not disturb
  • Rotation lock
If Rotation lock is lighted touch the icon to turn it off.

Any time I get weird or unexpected results the first line of trouble clearing is to reboot my iOS device by simultaneously pressing and holding the Application button and the Sleep Button until the iOS device reboots.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: iPad locked on mute
joemikeb #32095 12/13/14 07:01 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

My Control Centre is a bit different. I have:

• Airline mode
• WiFi
• Bluetooth
• Do not disturb
• This will be either "Rotation lock" or "Mute" depending on what is selected in Settings/General…

If Mute is selected in Settings/General, then the Control Centre icon will be Rotation Lock, and vice-versa, which means I cannot have both Unmuted and Unlocked Rotation.

And, of course, there is still the matter of the instruction in Settings/General to "Use Side (sic) Switch to: " but without providing Slide Switches.

I'll give the reboot a shot.

EDIT: Nope, reboot didn't do it. I can have "Mute and Free rotating screen" or "Unmute and Locked Screen" but not "Unmute and Free rotating screen".

EDIT AGAIN: Well, I found this link also referring to a Side Switch (where I had thought Side was a mis-spelling of Slide) and, after a bit of goofing around, have things working. The "Side switch" (on the "side" of the machine) was in the lock screen mode. Now that it's moved, I have everything.

Would it be better if I have a nap before logging in? tongue blush

Last edited by ryck; 12/13/14 09:14 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard